Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Speaking of Free Agency, when does the thread for that usually get posted?

Be the change you wish to see in the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm glad he got help. I was kinda worried it was going to end in an OD or a hail of bullets after a lengthy stand off the way the dude was talking for a while there.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Jimmy Growthhormonolo

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think the seahawks moving on from Geno would be a mistake, if for nothing else they've just lost half of their offensive coaching room to the Panthers assistant positions under Canales.

I mean - that might be a reason to move on as well, but I think you'd want some continuity in the room for a year first before you pushed all in on a rookie, especially when the team didn't blow up to rebuild more trying to transition. It wouldn't surprise me to see them take someone in the second or third or someone like rattler or whatever to throw behind Geno and Lock and see what's what, but a wholesale sale of Geno and some attempt to jump up in the draft I don't see.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I think there can be some real consequences, if he's bad enough. You can lose the locker room and everything spirals into negativity. See this year's Jets and Pats. Nobody on either team wanted to be there and it showed. It's also rough if half the drives are ending in 3 and out or turnovers. Limited reps for the offense, defense has to play way more which can lead to injury or even more bad vibes. See 2022 Broncos. How much did anyone on the Panthers "develop" this year with Bryce bombing?

Maybe it depends where you are setting the bar for "decentish bridge QB". I think Drew Lock is way below that bar. I'm thinking of it as more like Minshew. A very low end starter but not utterly hopeless out there.

Depends on the coach and the system too.

An ideal bridge QB situation would be something like HC and OC are bringing in a complete new system and drafting a rookie QB from a similar or even a completely different system. So you bring in the bridge QB to run the offense while the blocking, running and passing schemes come online. This shortens the learning curve for the offensive positions other than QB while the rookie learns how to run the offensive scheme and system from the bench. This is what Frank Reich apparently wanted to do with Bryce and Dalton.

When the rookie's up to speed on the operation of the offense you transition them into a starting role where everyone knows what they're doing. I also kinda think of it as a proof of concept move. You're showing the media, the fans, ownership that the big ideas and why you hired me are going to work even if we won't quite have it online til we draft / sign our QB.

If you get too much fuckery and too much of a split between the coaches, the coordinators, the locker room, the ownership and the front office you get a loving disaster like we saw in Carolina. Bryce was bad but he was failed horribly at every level. I think Geno would be fine in just about any offense they want to run because of his experience if they wanted him in that role but he's been well above replacement level play for the last two seasons and even if he's not elite I don't know that he's any worse an option than Baker, Goff or Cousins. I can see the benefits of sticking with Geno for another year while they cut bait on guys like Lockett and some of the older defensive heads. The chiefs showed the best possible outcome of using a bridge QB, draft the guy who's a good fit, familiar with the offense and let him learn behind someone who's only real goal is to not gently caress it up.

Drew Lock is not really the guy I'd be betting my career on if the only real goal from the position for 8 games or so was "don't gently caress it up". Even if Geno cost a little more.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Apparently brady has a year of college eligibility now he's been retired for a full year.

Billy 5 Aces and brady at Michigan for one more year!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s still a very good defensive coach but who loving cares if you’ve got to deal with his drafting and the cast of losers who brings with him to run the offense.

He’s 72, he’s not learning any new tricks, what you saw for the last four years is what you’re gonna get. If a team already has a QB and some offensive talent and wants to win now that might be enough but the Falcons aren’t that team.

There’s a reason nobody in wanted to hire him this year and it’s not because everyone is dumber than you.

It's not his coaching, its everything else. Can you imagine if you were trying to saddle bill with some guy as his OC who you see as an heir apparent. First time they disagree about the development potential of a 5th round WR or something you're going to have to have someone step in and referee. Its a no win situation and any team in that position with the guys in place probably aren't chasing a HC.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pontius Pilate posted:

a page of the dumbest dudes, god bless

Turn your monitor on

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

wandler20 posted:

And didn't Burns basically say he made a business decision and pretty much half assed it all last season to try to avoid injury?

Yeah pretty much and from that point I didn't really want him here any longer.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

This is wildly untrue.

People remember the Flacco Ravens run and think the playoffs are basically flipping coins but it ain’t that at all.

Nah, he's got a good point, it's easier to win if you get that bye but this years champion was the 3 seed from the conference and went the long way and we were a bees dick away from a detroit (3) vs Green Bay (7) in the NFCCG.

seeds are your last 5 champions - at least via a quick wiki search. There's going to be some teams where you know their days are numbered but we've seen a lot of one seeds get dumpstered their first game. We've also seen a bunch of games where no matter who wins the playoffs are over the next week. I can't remember the exact year but I remember a Panthers v 9ers game where they beat the gently caress out of each other that badly no one was getting past that game in tact.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coldforge posted:

Those amazingly scrappy underdogs, the dynastic 3 time super bowl champion Chiefs :hmmyes:

Well I mean your team lost one of their best defenders on a freak movement and CMC almost had his knee torn to pieces on an awkward tackle and your coach didn't have his team prepped correctly for over time. Not to mention a dumb special teams mis cue.

Not to drag the falcons into this too but we saw them lose from an almost unlosable position not that long ago as well.

The chiefs being champions kind of proves my point in that weird and dumb poo poo happens in the playoffs and the right guy doing the right thing at the right time can make up for a whole lot of deficiencies. If not for an inch of trajectory and a more relaxed jog onto the field from a defender the 9ers probably cruise home and chiefs fans would be pissing and moaning on the forums about their glaring lack of wide receivers.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coldforge posted:

The Chiefs were not a worse team or less well prepared than other playoff teams, they just had a lot of weird and dumb poo poo happen to them in the regular season (most of the weird and dumb poo poo being WRs) that they figured out by the time playoffs arrived.

I'm glad you came round to my way of seeing things.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The337th posted:

Just get to the playoffs* and anything can happen

*w/ Pat Mahomes at QB

I listed a number of instances that did not in fact involve patrick mahomes or the kansas city chiefs. Hope this helps. 1 example in a half dozen you think deserves a qualifier doesn't change the point - or you know. Decades of sport around the world that serve as examples of - why we play the games.

Coldforge posted:

Sure, if that's what you're saying, random poo poo happens all the time in the NFL. It's not limited to the playoffs, and it's unlikely to happen several games in a row at any point.

More often than not, the better prepared team that plays better, wins. The random BS usually has an oversized effect only if both teams are otherwise roughly equal in those things.

The only thing I disagreed with was the Chiefs being a 5 seed mattered in any way, because the *reason* they were a 5 seed was abnormal.

I mean. You're both really hung up on the chiefs so let me use the most recent example:

quote:

In the highly anticipated game, the teams traded the lead five times. After the fifth lead change, in which the Chiefs scored a touchdown to take a three-point lead, the Bills attempted a fake punt after failing to pick up a first down after three tries on the ensuing series, but it failed. A play later, Kansas City advanced the ball down to Buffalo's 3-yard line with a great opportunity to extend their lead to two scores. However, Kansas City wide receiver Mecole Hardman fumbled the ball out the side of the end zone for a touchback, thus allowing Buffalo to regain possession and remain in the game. After the teams traded punts, the Bills advanced the ball into Kansas City territory, but their drive stalled in field goal range. In a play that evoked memories of the missed game-winning field goal attempt by Scott Norwood in Super Bowl XXV, Buffalo kicker Tyler Bass proceeded to miss his field goal attempt wide right, thus allowing Kansas City to take over with their three-point lead still intact. Kansas City then picked up a first down on their next possession to drain the clock and seal the victory

The next game the chiefs played the Ravens who inexplicably didn't bother to run the ball despite the evidence and smart money being on that being the strategy, Zay Flowers taunted and caused a penalty, Zay Flowers fumbled a gimme touchdown, Jackson made his worst read and throw of the year at the worst possible time.

Then we had the superbowl that I listed above.

We can have a long winded discussion about the intersection of luck, preparedness, bad performance, bad strategy, random chance and all that bullshit but it still comes down to what is basically - make it to the playoffs do the best you can and see if poo poo breaks your way.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The337th posted:

I don't really disagree with the premise that much, anyone could hypothetically string together a few lucky games and win it all

But the Chiefs are still a hilarious example to use, lol

It literally happened this year, lol. In examples I posted, in the post above yours. Things you guys say don't happen in the playoffs, just happened, in the latest playoffs. To directly the team that you're saying these things don't happen for.

Are you trolling at this point or just this dense?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Coldforge posted:

We don't need it, because it boils down to: win as many games as you can and hope things break your way when it matters.

No one's disagreeing with that, just that the Chiefs are a weird example to hold up of a "bad" team getting lucky in the playoffs.

You're the only one to use the term "bad".

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The337th posted:

I know it probably feels like fate itself is trolling you with the team owner and franchise QB you've ended up with, but no

It's a very silly example

Nope.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

drat. It's almost as if Fiz had a point when he said making the playoffs is important because a lot can happen and lead to wins.

Which it clearly did. This year, and in years past.

Crazy.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hamhandler posted:

https://x.com/tsn_sports/status/1761184696833015999?s=46&t=4v69OlVJpK1h7pgGOGqqoA

This is probably the one watchable play from this endeavor but gently caress it this is the only football we got

Next weekend you get two games of NRL played in vegas at least.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Disrupting the football space

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bills, Ravens and 9ers all had a lot go wrong. The point of the whole discussion is playoffs are a crapshoot so it doesn't really matter how you make them, just that you make them for a shot.

I never called the chiefs bad, all I contended was that they had weird poo poo happen in their games they were able to take advantage of.

That you need to be in the games to take advantage of. Which is why the playoffs are a crapshoot and it's cool and good to make them.

Its very goon brain poo poo to jump from "even this years champs had some lucky breaks" to "chiefs are bad".

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Seems weird that no one wants to pay some of these guys when bad ones are such a liability.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah good point too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There is a type of football in Vegas in 2 days. Anyone want me to do a rugby league primer?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

sharknado slashfic posted:

Is it sevens? Sevens owns.

Nah its rugby league but there's some absolute banger players and teams playing. 3 of the 4 played in the playoffs last year and the 4th missed because they lost their big guns to injury.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I am heart broken that the 3 time super bowl winning millionaires don't have a *checks notes* nicer ceiling to look at in their lifting session.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Are any of those Commies players any good? I assume not but still holding out hope a serviceable Center hits FA.

Logan Thomas would be ok as a 2nd tight end but he's like 33 and gets hurt lots.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What is this? I haven’t kept up.

After he decided to get poo poo faced and as a result plowed into a car carrying 4 or 5 people, putting a 5 year old girl in a coma and causing severe brain injury he plead guilty and was sentenced to just three years imprisonment. His sentence was commuted after like 12 months because: reasons.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ocho if nothing else was always pretty frugal. Drove a prius for most of his career, famously ate at McDonald's and wore fake jewellery.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

JPrime posted:

he was on the cards for a bit as a bruce arians project iirc. Is he any good as a TE?

He was alright in 2020 and every time I chuck on a commanders game and he's been active he's looked ok, but he's been in washington with poo poo show QB play and he only played like 19 out of a possible 34 games the last two years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Atlanta falcons come on down

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

a neat cape posted:

I do not think Denver is on any semblance of an upswing

I wouldn't bet against Sean payton for too long tbh.

This needs to be a good offseason for them though.

Carolina is pretty much rock bottom with a one year wonder OC and a QB who the future is at best murky on, at worst he's an all time bust but at least after this year the cap is gonna be fine because there's no one worth paying anyway and we'll have another first overall and another head coach.

So I mean. Carolina is technically on the upswing because they've hit the molten core of sucking and cannot go any lower.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sorry to double post but not really cause I dont care.

Apparently our left tackle has been at a camp training early. Which bodes well considering he sucked out loud last year. I'll give props to a dude putting in work though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There's a speed demon or two in the draft who figure to be there at the turn.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Qb carousel is my favourite.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I can kind of see the merit of the proven commodity but I mean, Jeudy isn't suddenly going to become a better route runner or a more aggressive player. He still plays soft and still won't be an offensive focal point. Denver for sure got the better of the deal.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Woozie66 posted:

Why is Jeudy bad, legitimately? I haven't watched many Broncos games. His stats are fine. He has better stats than dudes who will end up costing more in FA. Is it just because he never lived up to the draft status?

I'm not a denver fan but I've watched a few of their games over the last two years and he's a bit of a downhill skier. He's fine to take a catches and run routes when he's against a zone coverage but he doesn't seem to relish beating someone at the point of attack and I can remember several plays where he short armed a ball in traffic to avoid laying out and taking damage and having 3rd down catches bounce of his hands. He doesn't seem overly willing as a blocker either. Steve Smith is a dick but he's often brutally honest and he was right when he called Jeudy soft. He's fine as I guess a third receiver or something but he's not as reliable as other slot guys and he's not as attacking as other flankers. He's kind of in-between the two in his role and play. At least as I see it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

God this is so sad for everyone involved

Not for me. I like Dionte.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Panthers signed some linebacker i don't know from Denver and some corner I don't know from buffalo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thats ludicrous for a 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

You just said like 2 days ago you’d be fine paying him whatever it took. That’s what it took.

Yeah but I was thinking 80mill over 4 would be high and get it done.