Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Gonz posted:

Doesn't becoming a pro automatically void any future NCAA eligibility?

it does not, beloved retired nba hooper jr smith is currently an ncaa golfer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

He never actually went to college though.

yes but the question was if playing professional sports would automatically destroy your eligibility

you have five* years to use up your ncaa eligibility in your sport but that doesn't extend to other ncaa sports; it doesn't even extend to sports you haven't played at the ncaa level in (many european basketball players will play u18 pro ball in europe and then enroll in college here)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

on my team, which is good, unlike your team, which is poo poo, the underperforming player will overperform. my underperforming players, they will be even worse than they were on my team because they don't have my team boosting them up. you fool. you troglodyte. you absolute buffoon.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

xbilkis posted:

Feels like you would want to be confident about your ability to re-sign a guy before you turn down two big trade offers for him

Burns probably isn't a $30m/year guy though so it's a legitimately tough place for the Panthers to be. Even in a tag and trade situation, it's hard to imagine another team would be eager to give up a first rounder just for the right to pay him that much

miami has the dolphins, the greatest football team

(don't know what kind of cap wizardry they'd have to pull off but the dolphins are in win now mode and in desperate need of a quality pass rusher and don't really give a poo poo about their picks to that degree)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the salary cap is fake, but brian burns? brian burns is real

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the knicks got out of the allan houston contract due to a medical retirement

it's not as dumb as it seems

they spent the amnesty on jerome williams, another loving awful contract that they were under, instead

lol knicks, nonetheless

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

if you could have your contract voided for conduct detrimental to the team for yelling at a coach the player's union would not be very happy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

there isn't a qb in this draft i would give up three firsts + other assets for

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

you seem upset

bothered

perhaps, even, mad?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the easy retort is the refuge of the teary eyed and the red faced

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

trade salvaged

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

from the mouths of babes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

seiferguy posted:

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/robert-griffin-caleb-williams-tell-bears-no.html

RG3 suggests Caleb Williams should pull an Eli and force the Bears to trade him, which isn't a bad suggestion, until...

dc has better receivers and a better line than chicago, i'd be pushing for there too

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kiimo posted:

A certain subsection of the fanbase is going to irrationally defend him and you all know why

because he looks like white lebron james, yeah. i get it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Harlock posted:

Still wild and unbelievable for the Eagles to not have a top 10 WR for most of my life to having two at the same time.

who's the other one? i know aj brown's on the team

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

spiking the first pitch is much funnier than anything else he could've done

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

harbaugh calls plays by committee and he has the final say

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

it's almost impossible to find an answer to the question of "how often are nfl players getting draft day promises from teams" mostly because nfl writers love to jerk themselves off with synonyms for "potential" at this time of year but it's not exactly uncommon for teams to just lie to players and say they'll take them if available and then just not take them; that's just something teams do and i'm sure some of them even do it 50 times

i don't think it's particularly endearing to lean into that fact for a lil glib bon mot with a reporter, but i don't think it's some particular sickness within the panthers regime or a referendum on the moral state of the carolina football moneymaking endeavor

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Alaois posted:

Yeah thats every other aspect of David Tepper's ownership regime

agreed

what's one more dead canary

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Michael Penix rules, he doesn't deserve this :(

he's old, his knees are both hosed, and his big selling point (pro ready can start day 1) is nullified by the fact that his team just spent 9 figures on the guy in front of him

it doesn't have much to do with penix, he's just an incredibly bad fit on the falcons when they had other, much bigger needs that they needed to address with that pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Blind Pineapple posted:

I agree that neither the Cousins contract or the Penix pick are bad individually, it's just doing both at the same time is monumentally stupid.

Like you either think Kirk is good to go and you draft to address one of your many other needs, or you're comfortable starting one of the second tier QB prospects this season and you use your FA money to address one or more of your many other needs. Hedging by doing both makes the team worse, players unhappy, and makes the GM's job less secure. Now you look stupid even if one of the two QBs is great. You either wasted a 1st round pick or wasted your entire FA budget on a backup. Then there's the doomsday scenario of neither being good which puts them dangerously close to being the Panthers.

the falcons seem to have made roster decisions based on the idea that cousins would miss 7 games a season and penix would step up and be okay, and that this is just sort of how things would be

they have elected to, in the popular parlance, build around the idea of "hosed"