Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Important for a few reasons:

Raiders can now cut him without paying him his remaining $11m guaranteed
Any team looking for a bridge starter probably won't want him as he's missing the first two games. (whew)

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1758536735288447017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I'm betting Baker gets a Geno - Jimmy sized contract. Like, who's paying him more then that?

APY wise you have all the guys with true blue franchise contracts at 43+ in Burrow, Herbert, Lamar, Hurts, Wilson, Murray, Watson, Mahomes and Allen.

Then you have the slight discount for various reason guys in Stafford, Prescott, Jones, Carr, Rodgers, Cousins and Goff between 33-40.

Then you have Tannehill at 30, Geno at 25, Jimmy at 24 and then all the rookie contract guys and Love and then below that in the mid single digits, you have the backups / bridge guys where Baker was.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Relatively fondly remembered by fans of teams that didn't spend a 1st round pick on them. Guys like Cordarrelle Patterson, Dante Fowler, Danny Shelton, Leonard Fournette....

Like man, as a Jags fan how annoyed must you be about all that Playoff Lenny stuff?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

As a fellow bratty bottom I'm also useless without my Big Dom

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Worst thing I've ever posted

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Im reminded of that article which described him arriving to his birthday party riding a camel.

I think that was the same as the absurdly expensive hotel room stories with his relatives?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

There's 6 guys I feel you can just ignore anyone who says if they'd take Kyler over them, so I guess I'd be curious how people would organize this list:

Murray, Lawrence, Dak, Love, Tua, Purdy, Hurts, Goff.

Leaving Stafford and Kirk out for being 35. I'd also put Dak in that first list, but people love to hate them a Cowboy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Really appreciating just how jumbled that list is from you six, outside of Dak and Purdy at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Hurts: 1, 4, 3, 1, 3, 5
Murray: 2, 6, 4, 8, 5, 6
Love: 3, 5, 1, 4, 7, X
Dak: 4, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1
Tua: 5, X, 6, 7, 5, 2
Lawrence: 6, 2, 5, 5, 8, 3
Goff: 7, 3, 8, 3, 1, 4
Purdy: 8, 7, 7, 6, 4, X

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I just appreciate seeing all your thoughts, because I originally tried to write out a NFL draft order in lines of: 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 and past putting Dak at 7 I spent a few minutes going ????? trying to order 8-10 before giving up and trashing it for that post.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

3 DONG HORSE posted:

how the gently caress does he get away with a D??

Everyone just wrote dickhead and it got truncated

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently a thing with the Patriots is they'd wait until the end of practice to post the next day's schedule, keeping players from being able to make plans to spend time with their families.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

I… thought that contract was prohibitive. Over the cap says the Broncos should have an $85 million hit for cutting him? With $49.6 million in dead money? Versus paying "just" $35 million to keep him on the roster.

It is but it gets way worse if they keep him another day

His $37m base salary in 2025 becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster tomorrow, and he has a bunch of $8m option bonuses that become really hard to get out of the next few years due to that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Are they able to designate him as a post-June 1 cut and at least spread the cap hit over a couple years? I never understand how that "we are cutting this dude on March 4 but it's post June-1 somehow" handwavy poo poo works

It's super weird logically, and all an accounting trick. He's now not on the roster and can sign with another team to avoid that money becoming guaranteed, but simultaneously is on the roster cap hit wise. The Broncos can't use any freed up space until after June 1st. (not that this move frees up any space this year regardless, but if it did, that's how the June 1st rule works. You carry the full cap charge until June 1st at which point you discharge what can be into next year's cap. )

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

I hope Loomis somehow messes up and the funniest thing ever happens.

https://x.com/Kat_Terrell/status/1765800909500543323?s=20

I'm not saying, I'm just saying if any Falcons fans wanted some 28-3 vengeance....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvN4pSey-NM

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Have an invective railing about Britt Reid and just how few consequences connected white shitheads suffer if you want to angry up the blood: https://sports.yahoo.com/former-chiefs-assistant-britt-reid-cut-the-line-into-the-nfl-now-he-cut-the-line-out-of-prison-180036459.html

quote:

On Feb. 4, 2021, Britt Reid was a 35-year-old assistant for the Kansas City Chiefs, where his dad, Andy, was and is the head coach.

On that day, Britt got drunk while working in the team facility. He then attempted a half hour commute home.

He didn’t make it a mile before slamming his pickup truck, traveling 84 miles an hour, into two cars parked on the side of an interstate on-ramp. One car was having trouble and the other came to help.

Britt Reid injured six that day, including himself. Four were initially hospitalized in serious condition, including a then 4-year-old girl.

The fifth victim was then 5-year-old Ariel Young, who Reid sent into an 11-day coma and a lifetime of challenges.

Reid was eventually given a three-year prison sentence, a plea deal down from the maximum seven-year stint. Ariel’s family fumed at that, but it only got worse. Like seemingly everything in this story, even meager consequences didn’t stick.

Last week, Missouri Gov. Mike Parson commuted Reid’s sentence after just 16 months served. Parson has since ducked the local media to explain his rationale. His office didn’t respond to a comment request from Yahoo Sports.

Ariel’s attorney, Tom Porto of the Popham Law Firm, however, says he knows why Britt Reid is out early.

“It’s because the Governor of Missouri is a Chiefs fan, went to the Super Bowl, went to the after parties, went to the parade and the rally and even has a Chiefs tattoo,” Porto told Yahoo Sports.

Can three Super Bowl victories get your son out of jail early? Perhaps. In Kansas City, the Chiefs run a self-described kingdom. What does a governor matter against that?

“It seems the laws don’t apply equally to the haves and have-nots,” Ariel’s mother, Felicia Miller said in a statement. “The haves get favors. The have-nots serve their sentence.”

The family reached a financial agreement last year with the Chiefs to help provide financial support for Ariel’s recovery. Now 8 years old, Young still has balance issues, vision problems and attends special needs classes, according to Porto.

“Ariel is dealing with the effects of her injuries to this day and there is an understanding of the lifelong deficits she is facing,” Porto said.

Parson didn’t bother to call the family or their attorney and let them know he was springing Reid early. They heard it through the news. Of course, Britt himself never offered them an apology, at least not until he was standing in front of a sentencing judge, 21 months after he nearly killed them all.

The only defense of Parson’s decision came via a statement from his office, which noted Reid had completed a prison “alcohol abuse treatment program.”

Great. Everyone should hope it will take, but this isn’t Britt Reid's first time through either rehab (including high-end private ones) or prison. He previously served just five months of a 23-month sentence for brandishing a gun during a road rage incident in Pennsylvania, when Andy coached the Philadelphia Eagles. Britt Reid also has a prior DUI and drug possession charge.

Reid's commutation letter read, in part, that he'd “served more prison time [16 months] than most individuals convicted of similar offenses.”

So now Britt Reid is some martyr? Of course Parson’s office has provided no data to back up its claim. Reporting by the Kansas City Star suggests it isn’t accurate and Reid got a favorable deal.

From the start this tragedy has been about favoring the offender not the victim. It’s been about endless second chances and excuses for a NFL coaching nepo baby, but cursory concern for the actual innocent child.

It’s been about protecting the powerful from revealing or even acknowledging their truth but just cursory concern for the powerless.

Ariel’s family is working class and lives in Missouri, supposedly the people Parson represents. Britt Reid lived in a rich suburb in Kansas, but obviously the Kingdom’s connections run deeper than state residency.

And yes, Parson, a former small county sheriff, has pardoned and commuted hundreds of sentences, but how did a repeat offender with a lifetime of addiction issues and less than two years remaining make the list? No one can explain it.

Jean Peters Baker, a Democratic prosecutor in Jackson County (Missouri) stated Parson did a favor for a man of “status, privilege and connections.” Jay Ashcroft, a Republican Secretary of State, said it was “not a good look.”

“There is bipartisan support for this being complete [expletive],” Porto said. “Everybody in the country feels this way.”

Britt Reid didn’t get to be the Chiefs linebackers coach because he was qualified for such a coveted position — NFL assistant is a top 1 percent of all coaching jobs. Britt’s only outside “professional” experience was as a graduate assistant at Temple from 2011-12.

He cut the line into the NFL. He cut the line out of prison.

It’s just enablement at both ends of the spectrum.

And it may extend beyond Britt Reid. The Chiefs initially stated they would “review” what happened in its facility that day. There is extensive security and surveillance in all NFL buildings and since this took place during COVID restrictions, cameras were truly everywhere. And that’s in addition to interviewing everyone.

Was Britt secretly drinking inside the team facility or was it out in the open? Did anyone else know that day? How about any day, since this was a problem employee with addiction issues? Is there a culture of drinking on the job there?

The Chiefs have never said and never revealed a thing. They’ve declined or not responded to questions throughout.

Meanwhile, the NFL stated it would look into the situation as well, but like the Chiefs it has gone silent.

This, the NFL, is an organization that will investigate the personal lives of players or hire entire law firms to look into some organizations. It holds a so-called “Commissioner’s Exempt List” to dole out discipline without much protocol. It once fought all the way to federal court over the inflation level of some footballs in New England.

Yet on this, a real-world issue impacting real-world families, a tragedy that every team could learn from, the league has never commented on if it even looked into, let alone found anything. Of late, it doesn’t even respond to requests for comment on the topic.

Everyone seemingly wants it to just fade away, memories blinded by the glimmer of all those Lombardi Trophies.

“As a Kansas Citian and a Chiefs fan, we want to cheer for this team and be happy for the success it has,” Porto said. “But this just rips the carpet out from the excitement about the organization.”

It doesn’t appear anyone cares or ever really did. Not the Chiefs. Not the NFL. And certainly not the governor.

They’ll outlast the outrage and put it behind them, even if Ariel Young never will.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 8, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1766109116974383340

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The only difference between Trump and every NFL owner is he's poorer then all of 'em.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Zach Wilson has had so many chances I do not understand his value as a reclamation project. He's been like the worst QB to ever start double digit games ever, you'd be better off with most random day 3 draft picks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is Kenny Pickett erasure!

Pickett sucks! He also turns the ball over way less and takes half as many sacks as Zach! Zach Wilson is the definition of terrible!

Mac Jones is a much, much better QB then Zach Wilson and he sucks poo poo!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Fitzmagic for sure.

loving lmao I love you Kalli

Everyone should watch the 5 Zac vs Mac games. They're... immense suffering.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I only want players who'll vote for Vermin Supreme

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

EmbryoSteve posted:

Don't think that one of odunze, nabors, or bowers would be there at 11? Rumor mills making it look like 5 qbs go in the top 10

Nah.

QB's will go in the top 3, then maybe one of the others somewhere in the first, but teams generally don't actually reach if the prospect doesn't grade out anywhere near as often as draft analysts dream it into existence.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

xbilkis posted:

Does Mike Williams still potentially have some juice left in him? He's a little younger than I thought and his numbers pre-ACL tear are better than I expected

Left ACL last year, 2 right leg injuries the year before and a bunch of little injuries all throughout his career. He does have juice, if he can stay healthy. If you have tons of cap space, I think a late day 3 pick is fine to throw at him, or if he gets cut knowing that it's reasonably likely he's going to get that juice injured out him quick. But hey, if he hits, it didn't cost you anything but money.

You'd be better off spending a day 2 pick on a WR, but everyone needs 3 WR's, so *shrug*

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Imagine going back a year right as the Jets were getting Aaron Rodgers and showing fans that tweet.

Just imagine.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Want to see something gross?

Too bad

https://twitter.com/NFL_Journal/status/1768493244508164222

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Well I was not expecting that. And yeah, RIP the Rams chances of doing anything

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My favorite Aaron Donald lovely frame from a play:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't think they can.

I mean the Jets know they're cursed, if they keep Wilson as the #3, no way do Rodgers and Tyrod avoid horrible injuries that lead to Zach starting half the season again.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Looks like almost exactly like a Falcons white jersey I guess?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Short version is incentives aren't guaranteed.

The "guaranteed" number is signing bonus + (usually not more then 2) years of guaranteed base salary + weird contract wording on some roster bonuses.

Teams also used to love "guarantees" for injury, but everyone realized that was complete horseshit years ago and has mostly stopped.

Incentives are on top of that and are either likely expected to be earned (LTBE) in which case they go on that year's cap, or not likely to be earned (NTLBE), in which case they aren't counted against the cap, but are applied to the next year's cap if they are hit. If a LTBE incentive is not hit, you get a cap credit for the money not paid out.

How they qualify has some rules to it, but basically boil down to: did you do it last year? Like $1m for 10+ sacks? if you got 5 the year before: unlikely, 13? likely.

There's also per game bonuses and workout bonuses, neither guaranteed for obvious reasons.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

Gotcha, appreciate the explanations from you and wandler. So in my example if my contract's "guaranteed" number was two years of base salary at 5+5, and I happened to make 8m with incentives the first year, I'm still owed the 5m base for next year?

I have no real reason to be this curious about it, so "it depends on the contract" is also sufficient. :shobon:

Yup.

It's guaranteed base salaries year 1 / 2 are one of those things I thought would be pointless, because why are you signing guys to huge deals you'd want to cut after a year? and then there've been like dozens of examples of guys who hosed up so bad they had to be cut after a year.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

kiimo posted:

you either know fashion, or you don't.

There is a company that has a gameday couture line, but honestly the prices are just normal NFL gear prices, so that's disappointing.

No actual haute couture show that I can find, SMH.

https://www.shopthesoho.com/pages/nfl

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ah, here we go, Chanel did a sportswear themed couture line back in 2014, take a look at some pretty egregiously bad elbow and knee pads and designer sparkly eyeblack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F444mqQwHBM

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

bows1 posted:

Thom Browne fall 2012 was cool, the giant shoulder pads and old leather helmets (in between punk spikes)

https://youtu.be/imoPXaPco0o?si=RqFGXQJIp1C8Vzta

Really feeling some of those designs for the Raiders, some naval-ish Bears uniforms and then suddenly I was jolted out of my football whimsy by the cyberpunk leprechaun.

Love the serial killer masks too, top notch stuff.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Amy Pole Her posted:

Lmao ok ok

Former Steelers killin it

Thank christ Roethlisberger stays off social media

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Welp, bye Cameron Sutton

https://twitter.com/Bryan_Aguada/status/1770467205240561940

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey nerds, I hear you like reading complicated rule proposals for kickoffs

Or maybe that's just me.

Pretty close to the XFL kick :swoon:. Huge gently caress you's for kicking the ball into the endzone or not returning it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the short version is kicking team lines up on the receiving 40, receiving lines up on the 35, and neither can move until the ball lands. It's a lot of basically like setup for a screen blocking and would turn kickoffs back into an actual NFL play.

The yardage probably needs to be tweaked a little bit, but I really think they should do this at least for preseasons since the kickoff is just straight pointless time now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He looked so dapper in that hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, when Aaron Hernandez got outed the Pats just cut him despite having given him a huge contract that offseason, we had cap issues due to it, cap issues!!!!