Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

e: oops, missed an entire page of discussion on a point. Disregard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Peter King was a shield bootlicker that probably had some problematic old man takes but I generally liked his presence in the football sphere. Affable fellow that often had some genuinely interesting nuggets in his columns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oEMoy0VHlw

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I think his worst general viewpoint was that you shouldn’t take off field stuff into account when considering people for the hall of fame but I think a lot of people probably feel that way and I guess I get it. He was pretty progressive minded otherwise

I apologize to Peter King for fabricating a history of shield bootlicking.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If there were a leaguewide re-draft, Kyler probably still goes in the top 15. Maybe even top 10, if you put a premium on youth?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

At what point do you draft a non-QB? Do you take Justin Jefferson or Brock Purdy?

e: But re: the QBs…

Love
Dak
Hurts
Murray
Lawrence
Tua
Purdy
Goff

fsif fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 26, 2024

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This can't possibly be true. Surely the bar for "conduct detrimental to the team" has to be higher than "got mad during a game."

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

ghosthorse posted:

it’s a good thing Sean Payton has no history of being a piece of poo poo otherwise I might believe that

Hey no doubt Sean Payton is a shithead, but that tweet is—I guess—counting on no one actually watching the video it's quoting? There's nothing there that even remotely suggests Wilson's contract would have been in danger for snapping back at Payton.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It's just obviously made up and absurd on its face. Contracts in the NFL don't get voided because a player argues with a coach.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Could just be talking about "conduct detrimental to the team" clauses being an intentionally vague way for teams to exert power. There is no distinction between Aaron Hernandez killing sprees, Antonio Brown doing Antonio Brown things, and a QB getting into public fight with his HC.

I would argue there is absolutely IS a distinction between those things!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

gently caress cheap drop ceilings.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

love to leak friday afternoon news well into the offseason right before the combine to deflect blame from my wife.

https://x.com/avl_mike/status/1763653177642037666?s=20

Lots of rumors during the season and last offseason that Nicole had influence in the Panthers drafting Bryce.

Adam Schefter loves to tease the notoriously thin-skinned owner. Just Scheft hanging with Tepper, busting balls.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I… thought that contract was prohibitive. Over the cap says the Broncos should have an $85 million hit for cutting him? With $49.6 million in dead money? Versus paying "just" $35 million to keep him on the roster.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He has Washington Commander written all over him and it's a drat shame they have the #2 pick.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Micah Hyde's contract also expired and he's been mulling retirement.

So, 3 of their 4 starters going into the beginning of last season likely won't be there in 2024.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

TheBizzness posted:

Love that Baker contract. Seems like a reasonable starting point for the Dolphins.

Don't think Tua's camp will agree.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tua was way better than Baker last year. He put up obscene numbers for a while and made the Pro Bowl in a stacked AFC.

Baker was like an okay starter last season after bottoming out in his two previous years.

If he gets an extension, it'll be a lot closer to Burrow money than Baker money.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://x.com/antwanstaley/status/1744379225786720576?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The whole thing with the Texans is that they have the incredible fortune of possessing a top 5 QB in the second year of his rookie deal. What good is that if you don't use the cap space?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Intruder posted:

That's why I wanted them to splurge on like Saquon or Jacobs or when Jones became available then him

Not the guy who breaks womens' faces

I agree and I think even from a strictly on-field perspective he's been marginally overrated.

But if you don't care about him being a POS and your assessment of him as a player matches the general consensus, the contract itself is fine. It's not really that burdensome.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't think anyone that actually posts here can credibly accuse someone else of being "terminally online" without glass shards slicing their faces.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I feel like the Browns FO must have had it in their heads that they could pounce on a depressed asset and let things spiral out of control at the negotiating table.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ort posted:

I really wish the bears could just figure it out. They have 2 cool receivers and I grew up in a bears family watching them every Sunday, but we all know where this is going.

You're not wrong but loving up this situation would be a feat even by Chicago standards.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

That was extremely funny but then he went on to beat that team on the road in the playoffs and then win the Super Bowl. So. It's ruined.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jim Harbaugh the insane micromanager.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Mega64 posted:

I mean, 28-3 is loving funny in retrospect, but I gotta imagine at the time most people were hoping the Falcons would finally get one (which, lol, lmao)

It wasn't hoping the Falcons got one so much as hoping the Patriots didn't get another one.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I see it as more of an indictment of the Browns, Chargers, and Jags.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

There was a period of time where I thought Zeke was going to be in the Hall of Fame.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

What was going on with Diggs in the locker room that the Bills bailed on him? He was still really productive I thought.

It seemed pretty obvious he wasn't happy in Buffalo. There were tweets from his brother about getting Stefon out of the horrible situation he was in, he didn't initially show up for training camp, etc.

His production tapered off pretty dramatically at the end of last year. Don't know if it was a bad stretch and/or he was nursing a secret injury or what.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I mean tbf they got four pretty good years from Diggs in that time.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If I had to guess I think Diggs will still perform like a pretty high end WR1 next year; top 10–15ish guy.

But reasonable chance that he's already properly washed or will be over the next couple years and the Texans are in a much better position to deal with that 2025 contract than the Bills were.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'm the crutches that don't even reach the waist.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Oops, nevermind. Misread a post.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

WTF!!!!! Holy gently caress! I can't believe this...

What the gently caress are we going to do without the legendary Melissa Stark or WILL SELVA?!

I like Andrew Siciliano! Scott Hanson being more handsome than Siciliano ruined Siciliano's career.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hizawk posted:

That is absolutely brilliant and a great way to keep a guy motivated that you probably didn't really mean to keep after this year anyways.

It should motivate him to finally speak up and assertively request some more targets.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

So Diggs's motivation is that he gets a modest (by NFL standards) raise this year—and if he plays well—more guaranteed money at the start of next year.

The Texans' motivation is what? Doing their new player a solid and building goodwill? Making it easier to negotiate with him for a more appropriate contract next offseason?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What on earth is the rationale for the recruit level bit?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Falconer posted:

I could see it a "So-called experts thought you were a below average (2*) prospect coming out of HS but here you are thriving in the NFL!" deal.

That's best I can figure, but surely many members of the Chargers roster were 4–5 stars? If you're going this route, why not at least use draft position, instead of something that screams "my head is still in the NCAA."

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The only thing I like about Gronk is a story that I heard probably from someone here about a friend that didn't follow football but saw him in some Dunkin Donuts promotional campaign. Said friend just assumed Dunkin Donuts invented a human being mascot named "Gronk" to hawk their Coolattas.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is totally because Kraft is upset Brady left the Patriots and then won a Super Bowl, isn't it. He blames Belichick for creating the environment that led Brady to leave.

Almost certainly.

I'm sure Kraft liked Brady more on a personal level than he ever did Belichick, but Kraft made what he thought was the pragmatic choice. Whereas Brady faced a very obvious physical cliff as he aged, theoretically he could still milk many more years of THE GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME.

But then said coach/GM was loving pretty bad without Tom Brady.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean realistically the Pats would also have been pretty bad if Brady stayed but grass is always greener on the other side

I agree but I think Kraft is upset about how siding with Belichick hurt his personal relationship with Brady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Laughing at the snarky tone. For those that SOMEHOW didn't see the changes.