Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Tree Bucket posted:

You guys like really amateur field ecology, right?
WELL by the looks of things, all lace monitors / tree goannas (Varanus varius) have unique scale patterns on their snouts. They're basically scuttling around the forest with QR codes on their faces. (If you are unfamiliar with the chonk lizards of south eastern Australia, tree goannas are around 1.5 metres long and pretty chill. There's lots of urban legends about them shredding people, but I think that's just a hateful anti-reptile stereotype.)
Anyway, thanks to these distinctive patterns, we can identify and track individuals without having to catch and tag them (at great risk to the animal and greater risk to ourselves). This could help us develop a clearer picture of their population dynamics.
These photos show three different individuals around the forest near my house; the last two pictures were taken one week and a couple hundred metres apart. This gives us a bit of a feel for V. varius population density in box-ironbark woodland!
also now that we can tell them apart, we need to name them. Any thoughts?

hmmm Davo, Shazza and Jonesy

Lace monitors are rad - we used to run into them a lot camping when i was a kid. I remember them breaking into the food while we were out getting firewood one time and they stole and devoured some cheese.

Also their big cousins, the Perentie (Varanus giganteus) are cool too!

Stories of them attacking humans are very much overblown but there really have been some serious ones over the years that have required hospitalization. These are almost always defensive on the goanna's part, occasionally a panicked one will mistake a person for a tree and climb them and more rarely due to aggression around food (especially meat) or if they have eggs nearby.

Their whip-like tails can cause considerable damage, as can their sharp claws but also their bite is powerful enough to break an arm and inflict deep and nasty wounds that bleed severely because they're venomous. They can also run on their hind legs faster than a human being and have been known to chase people down on the rare occasions they become violent towards a person. An attack could certainly be potentially fatal.

But yeah attacks are vanishingly rare, almost by definition the people involved are at fault and frankly there's a lot more dangerous Aussie wildlife to worry about lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

This thread is :blessed: