Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

First of all, to be explicitly clear, this is a good thoughtful post and I read every single word. I just wanted to condense it down for forum space.

But, to address your overall concerns, I would like to tell you my approach is to politics my entire adult life (of which I’m now 36). I look at voting in the presidential election as a relative position. IMO, every president of the US is a terrible person. But I think it’s impossible to be a moral person and a president because you have to balance the desires and needs of millions of people at any given moment. And, unfortunately, those desires and needs collide way too often

So, I’ve taken the approach of looking at presidential elections as “if I was the deciding vote, could I live with my choice?” while acknowledging that only the 2 main parties could realistically win. And this is coming from a very blue state (MN).

So, for my concrete examples of presidential elections, I have done the following:
  • 2008: wanted to vote for Kucinich in the primary, dropped out before MN. Didn’t care about Obama, thought McCain wouldn’t be much worse, would have voted 3rd party if MN didn’t have terrible mail in voting policies as I was going to school in OR at the time
  • 2012: once again, didn’t care about Obama, figured Romney wouldn’t be much worse, was back in MN and voted for James Harris in the general
  • 2016: hated Clinton, but knew Trump would be insanely worse. Voted Clinton
  • 2020: voted for Sanders in the primary after Warren seemed unlikely. Was sad that Biden was the nominee but voted for him because Trump is insanely worse. Even though I believe that Biden is a rapist, both then and now
  • Currently: Biden is much better than I expected and will gladly vote for him over Trump

I don’t know if this helps, but it’s my thought process

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Eiba posted:

So... "go ahead and vote for Biden"? Is that what you're saying? That is my current position. I was mainly curious to hear from people who thought it was not just reasonable but a moral imperative to not vote for him.

And for the record, I think the issue (for me) is that I believe he is contributing to a uniquely horrific crime against humanity. The violence inherent in any position of power is not what's got me bothered in this case. I can rationalize that away.

If most people in a similar situation to me are okay supporting Biden because he's "not that bad" then, well, that's fair. But it's not the situation I am in. This might ultimately be about how I see the morality/culpability of what's going on in Gaza, which would put it outside the scope of this thread. I would accept that if it were the case.

Do you see a difference between fully supporting someone and casting a vote for said person? IMO, it seems like that is what you are struggling with.

For me, that answer is clear. A vote is not an endorsement of all, or maybe even most, of said person's stances (I.E. back to my point about relativeness). But that's not the case for others. And I think you need to decide where that line is.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 14, 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

hooman posted:

Does the Party you are voting for draw a distinction between a vote and an endorsement? If you are voting for the party is there any impetus for that party to change any of the behaviours or policies, or is voting for them giving the party the go ahead to continue to behave in ways you find personally abhorrent?

If there is no point at which you withdraw your vote, why would the party you vote for even know it needs to change, let alone be motivated to?

If Biden ends up getting a lower turnout than 2020, especially to the point of losing, I can guarantee the takeaway won’t be “we need a candidate that’s further left”. It’s going to be “we need someone who’s more centrist to reflect the values of more Americans”.

Also, for your last question, it’s already answered in one of my previous posts ITT. I haven’t voted for the Democratic nominee in every presidential election.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 14, 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

hooman posted:

Oh gently caress no, absolutely not.

The change I am hoping for in the future is in the policies of the Democratic Party.

I am not talking about a permanent vote withholding, I am talking about tactical vote withholding. I don't want to repeat myself so have a look at the discussion I had earlier in the thread about incumbency and the large replacement of members in the UK that changed the Labour Party under Blair.

Basically in order to replace poo poo representatives, they have to lose so they don't have the defense of incumbency, which opens opportunities for institutional change within a party.

EDIT: To be clearer, my view is that you should withdraw your vote from any candidate (up and down ballot) who is bad and give your vote to any candidate who is good, with an eye to seeing the bad ones lose, and the good ones win to change the makeup of a party, in order to change the direction of the party.

Do you think the Democratic Party cares about your individual reason for not voting? I 100% guarantee they do not.

If your stance is among the majority, than withholding your vote makes tactical sense. But if your stance is among the minority (i.e. leftist views), they'll never think that they need to move closer to your political views to win elections.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

B B posted:

You don't even have to be a leftist for the Democratic Party to ignore your views. You just have to be a person who thinks genocide is bad. Providing material support to an ongoing genocide is very important to the modern Democratic Party, and there's not much individual voters or motivated groups of voters like those in Dearborn, Michigan can do to convince the Democratic Party to stop supporting genocide.

None of what you said refuted my point of

Kalit posted:

If your stance is among the majority, than withholding your vote makes tactical sense. But if your stance is among the minority[...], they'll never think that they need to move closer to your political views to win elections.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

hooman posted:

I don't assume they know why I am withholding my vote at all. I am saying to withhold votes from candidates that are bad and give them to candidates that are good. I am not saying to never vote, but to only vote for good candidates in order to change the overall grouping of views within the party. That is the only way we (as non super donors) can influence the views of the party or feed back to them.

So…if there are only bad candidates (most nation-wide/federal elections, red state elections, etc), how is not voting going to move the party closer to your views? Wouldn’t it be moved further away, since parties are more likely to move closer to the candidates who are winning elections?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 25, 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The Sean posted:

Could you explain what he has done to defend trans persons, let alone as "a priority"?

Everything I've seen is barely anything. For instance: https://www.hrc.org/resources/president-bidens-pro-lgbtq-timeline. Everything on here is: hosting a dinner, calling for action, proposing a plan, and other performative measures the result in headlines that provide an assumption that he's doing something without actually meaning anything.
Here's two easy concrete examples, which are two executive orders he has signed:
https://www.aclu.org/news/lgbtq-rights/what-president-bidens-lgbtq-executive-order-does-and-doesnt-do (based on https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...al-orientation/)

quote:

What yesterday’s order does mean, though, is that this administration is prepared to vigorously defend and enforce the legal protections that LGBTQ people enjoy under federal law. Every state considering anti-trans bills barring trans people from sports must now consider that they will face a U.S. government that is not facilitating anti-trans discrimination but actually enforcing Title IX’s protections to stop it. Every employer, every landlord, every health care provider that is considering firing or evicting or denying health care to a transgender person must now think about the fact that all three branches of the federal government have made clear that anti-LGBTQ discrimination is illegal.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jun/15/biden-executive-order-anti-trans-laws-and-conversion-therapy (based on https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ex-individuals/)

quote:

Biden’s executive order, which comes during Pride month, asks the federal health and education departments to expand access to gender-affirming medical care and find new ways to counter a flurry of bills passed in US states by conservative lawmakers this year that ban these treatments for transgender youth.

Wednesday’s order asks federal agencies to ensure that federally funded programs do not offer conversion therapy, which tries to force LGBTQ+ youth to change their sexual orientation, and the Federal Trade Commission to consider policing such practices that seek to change a patient’s sexual orientation or gender identity as deceptive businesses.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

See this is the thing, I am unsure as to how choosing who helms the empire changes the underlying assumptions of Imperialism. It may be different in terms of what is done, but the involvement of the USA in various places does not change because the structures are still there.

Like a waterwheel, the empire continues to turn regardless of who is in charge of it.

That’s the problem with only looking at the 10000 foot view when it comes to policies. It makes it so easy to broad brush and pretend like nothing matters because X will still occur. Especially when it’s as mammoth of an issue like your example of imperialism. That would be impossible for any single president to completely solve for a variety of issues.

That’s why I think it’s better to zoom in and see all of the differences in candidates. Along with what specific things they have done in their political career. I feel like this is similar to the examples Bar Ran Dun stated in their prior post that you had responded to.

After that, I think it becomes a lot clearer to see the benefit of participating instead of sitting on the sidelines/only casting protest votes/etc. Especially since, for most people, it’s such a low effort task to do

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 30, 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

This is the thing you seem to believe that this makes it necessary to vote for a lesser evil because nothing can be done about those big issues by any singular individual. The overarching problem must be fixed by doing things outside of the current structure, as much as possible.

I think that looking at things holistically as a whole instead of zooming in to such an extent that you miss the other things being done by a candidate/structure.

Fundamentally this is a large divide and I am unsure can be bridged.

What current country has done enough for you to be satisfied with the 10000 foot view? I cannot think of a single one.

So, if I adopted your viewpoint on this, it seems weird to hold out hope and think “one day”. Especially since voting does not interfere with doing things outside the system either, such as activism, grassroots organizing, etc

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 30, 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Rappaport posted:

This seems like an unsatisfactory answer. If no one can provide a good example, if we grant your hypothesis, then one need never be presented?

We can argue that it all went sideways around the time when Ike made the speech about the military-industrial complex and how he saw that as a Bad Thing, but the POTUSes since have also wielded immense power, and it isn't an unreasonable ask to say they should be held to high scrutiny. If someone doesn't vote for anyone for that office, it doesn't invalidate their choice by simply saying "every other nation is crap too, what do you want from me, I'm walking 'ere?"

Does withholding that vote make a difference? Probably not, but it seems like a reasonable argument that if someone wishes to abstain from voting for all the bad poop, they should be free to do so, without anyone scolding them.

I think you're mistaking my argument for a "vote blue, no matter who" argument. First of all, I was talking about elections in general, as that was what Bar Ran Dun had stated (with an emphasis on POTUS). But regardless of that, I'm talking about not writing off all elections for a reason that's impossible to solve with a single election. That's different than stating "you must vote for the D in every single election, every single time".

Hell, I voted for a 3rd party in the 2012 election. And I would do the same again. However, that's because I looked at the main candidates, their views, and what they've done. I didn't write them off because of some reason like "they're going to continue imperialism", because that's literally every serious presidential candidate. And it will continue to be the case for the foreseeable future.

Josef bugman posted:

Does that have any relevance whatsoever? Is there any national party that I would vote for at the moment in my own nation depends on the candidate and what they are aiming to do. If they are talking about destroying those structures in some way then I may well vote or support them.

But again, I have to turn this around and ask if you are as cross with people not being directly supportive of policies as much as you are at politicians ignoring demands/ out and out lying to people.

One day is never, but we still work on it. In the same way that someone will never be perfect but we can work towards it.

Ultimately if the structure makes it easier to kill someone than feed them, something more is required than interest rates changes.

The reason I brought up that example is because you're taking your ball and going home. You seem to be refusing to participate in something that's concretely meaningful to a lot of people because you want to hold out hope in something that literally has never been achieved in the entire world. You can still work on an idealistic future while doing something as simple as voting. One doesn't negate the other.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Again, I ask you if you are this concerned about powerful people doing worse things than a single, far less powerful, person doing something other than expressing support for the structure. It may be concretely meaningful to many people, that is their decision and I am okay with that. But is me going "No, and I will work against this structure" not also okay? Is it that moral qualms should be a matter of popular vote?

But the thing is one does undercut the other in practical terms. Again if I were to vote Labour or Tory at the next election I would be supporting transphobes who want to make things worse of working people whilst giving out money to the wealthy. Why then is the onus on me to change my own behaviour instead of those with more power?

Honestly, I still have no idea what you're asking. What do you mean by "concerned"?

I'll take a stab to what I think you're asking. This is a thread about electoralism, which is why I'm talking about my thoughts regarding it. I wouldn't start ranting about it if someone casually mentions they're not voting in an upcoming election to me in a conversation. People can have whatever thoughts they want about it. If my opinion is asked or if it's the basis of a topic, such as here, that's when I'll share my thoughts.

As far as your last question, I don't know enough about UK politics to answer your question. I will say that if the choice in a presidential election here in the US was between 2 people who were actively seeking out to strip rights away from the transgender community, I would probably be hesitant to vote for either of them. But, luckily, we haven't been in that predicament in the recent past.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Hesitant but you still would? See, this, ultimately, is where we are having difficulties. Because ythere are lines which you will not cross, but do you think others can have the same and them be at different places than you and it still be valid?

It's unlikely, but it could be possible. For an easy example of a similar situation, if Obama would have been a lot different in some of his views (supported medicare for all, ending overseas wars, etc), I probably would have voted for him in 2008 and 2012. And that's acknowledging that he was still against gay marriage, which I've always been deeply in support of.

To summarize, I don't consider a vote a full endorsement of a person's complete moral compass. If that was the case, I could never ever vote in any election unless I was running in it.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

This is the thing though, if you accept that it does exist then it's just an argument about degree and becomes a purely personal line of preference.

This is the thing though, the vote doesn't matter as anything other than a show of support and what it can practically do. Which is not a lot. You can make a level of compromise about it, but it still exists.

Okay…once again, I’m not 100% sure of your point. TBH, it would help me understand your points/questions if you used more specific terms instead of referring to things like “it”. Because when you say “if it does exist” and “it still exists” I can’t be 100% certain what you’re referring to.

But let me try to see if I’m interpreting it correctly. Are you asking why a vote isn’t showing 100% support [of a candidate’s positions]? If so, I’m confused on why you think it does show 100% support….

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 31, 2024

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

The point is that there is an agreement that there are reasons why people should not vote at all, you simply define where the line is different from others. If this is the case, then it simply becomes a matter of preference and degree, not one of fundamental disagreement with the idea of withholding/none voting.

Essentially the latter bit is attempting to say the following "One individual vote does almost nothing, but is simply a show of support for the candidate overall not for a particular part of the platform of said candidate and that level of compromise is up for interpretation by each person."

Eh... I don't know if I quite agree with your framing. It technically is a matter of preference and degree. But when the preference/degree is literally impossible to ever meet (e.g. never voting for someone who isn't going to actively dismantle the US's imperialistic tendencies), that's when I think it's not where the line is being drawn. That's when I think it reaches the whole "take your ball and go home" selfishness.

Josef bugman posted:

But this is the thing it's still showing, in practicable terms, support for a candidate. If I'm voting for Boe Jlogs because of his robust environmental record and not his "slaughter everyone born on May 7th" policy, I am still lending support to the latter through the vote. That doesn't mean that there is no level of compromise, merely that it is drawn in different places for different people.

But this is the thing that the entire debate and purpose of this thread hinges on. The idea that you "need to vote" is a fairly major part of it. It may not be from folks in this thread in particular but we've all seen on this forum when people are told that not voting for X is, in effect, voting for Y.

Can't the inverse of this also be true? For example, if you refuse to vote in the US for POTUS in 2024 (and are left leaning to whatever degree), doesn't that mean you are being unsupportive of things that Biden would continue to work on? Such as more affordable college, transgender rights, etc?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

FYI, that poster is just trolling and has already been shown all of this before, probably multiple times. They will just keep claiming that anything Biden has done isn't "action", "substantial enough", or something similar to that. That's why I ignored their baited response earlier.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The Sean posted:

Rule I.B - Assume good faith.

It’s a fact, not an assumption

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)