Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
going to continue doing direct action of feeding the hungry in my area and helping them get geds, and protest voting against genociders and rapists

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

volts5000 posted:

This whole discussion is just focused on us as individuals. As if our decision to vote blue/third party/not at all only effects us individually. "What is the burden that I have to bear? How can I and I alone change the system? Maybe if I opt out, the system will crash. Then I will have done a good deed." A business doesn't close because "you" stopped shopping there. A labor union doesn't collapse because "you" decided you didn't want to pay your dues. A pandemic didn't spread because "you" didn't wear a mask. It was a collective action.
collective action still has to start at individual action. if you aren't taking the actions you desire a group to take how the hell are you supposed to move the group there in the first place?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

volts5000 posted:

Because there's no talk of collectivizing. What organization are we forming? How are we making our demands known to the political parties? There's none of that! It's just people saying "Oh I'm totally voting for Cornel West. That'll show 'em!"
i am a loud and annoying dude about my politics whether it's a convient time or not, does that count?

more serious, i do explain my reasoning and the problems as i see them to whoever will listen to me at the food bank before and after we hand food out

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
the trolley problem falls apart when you add "derail this murderous train. my god why won't the engineer slow down?!" as a potential option

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
im saying that its worthless to drag out that loving powersliding train in a vacuum argument because we are not bound by it

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
ill respond later, getting busy with life, aint ignoring you

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i will vote for those who pass a minimum threshold of behavior and policies. biden has not done that because of the same reason i gave in 2020. i believe him to be a credibly accused rapist/sexual assualter and i will not put my support behind that. it is a hard line ive drawn and i will not cross it

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
those fall under the minimum as well, it's just i had already made that decision back in 2020 and everything else is just extra on the poo poo pile

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Eiba posted:

I guess I don't see a vote as an endorsement, rather it's a tool. You have a (very small) ability to steer the course of events. I don't want to overstate the importance of that- your individual influence is negligible, and voting is very definitely not enough on its own if you want the world to be less lovely, but it's also not more than that

How would the world be a better place if I didn't vote for Biden?
you admit that the effect of your vote is miniscule to the point of not mattering yet you still feel like you must participate to make the world a better place

if i went to he food bank i volunteer at on election day instead of voting i would have done more to make the world a better place that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
yes, i think who you endores to be a leader above you is more significant than it seems you do

we probably won't find common ground on this