Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

My take on the 2024 Election is as follows:

Biden has done a lot of really good poo poo. Economy policies, student loan debt forgiveness, environmental stuff, supporting the auto workers' union, actually following through with his promise to help out the locomotive workers after he broke their strike because the country would fall apart if he didn't, and a lot of other things that I can't think of off of the top of my head. Biden is also, at this very moment, enabling the genocide of Palestinians by sending arms shipments to Israel. In a sane world, this would disqualify him from my vote, because I don't give a gently caress about how many nice things he's given me, my closest friends' families have been slaughtered and he's actively supporting that.

But this is not a sane world.

I pulled the lever for the Green Party in 2020 because I couldn't bring myself to vote for a man that I believe to be a sexual predator. But January 6th was a wake-up call: the Alt-Right weren't shitposters on /pol/ or bellowing manchildren in yellow shirts anymore, they were a bloodthirsty crowd in our nation's capitol and they very nearly succeeded in getting the blood that they craved. A Trump presidency would instill in them a new boldness that we are not likely to survive, to say nothing of the policies he promises that would bring ruin to us and beyond.

In the end, it's a modern spin on the classic Trolley Problem:
  • On one hand, pulling the Biden lever allows the trolley operator to continue barreling through a bunch of innocent brown people who are inconveniencing Israel by existing, and the trolley operator might even pull the brake if the passengers complain loudly enough about the cries of the dying.

• On the other hand, doing anything else runs the risk of bringing back the old trolley operator that promised to equip the trolley with fully automatic weapons that fire wildly in every direction, more efficiently slaughtering innocent brown people and also putting the passengers (myself and everyone I care about included) in immediate and serious danger. Additionally, the old trolley operator does not believe in brakes, and has promised to stomp on the accelerator at every available opportunity until the trolley explodes, killing everyone.

I do not like Biden. I hate him, in fact. However, I will vote for Biden because it's the only chance we have.

I wish I had any other choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

as a notorious biden-hater i think it's fair for me to chime in and say that you can still hate biden and the atrocities he enables while also saying that the things that biden has done for the US are good for us and have improved our lives. it's not apologist to say that he did something was done that benefited you or others, it's apologist to say that you like him because he did something that benefited you or others in the same breath that you condemn his support for genocide.

biden sucks massively.
biden has done good things for me and my family.

these two statements are not mutually exclusive, and should not be if we want to continue enforcing any level of nuanced discussion here.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

since it tends to come up a lot, an answer to "would trump really be worse than biden on palestine":

Trump calls in to Fox to rant about how Israel has to "finish the problem".

yes. of loving course he would.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

but unfortunately the voters in America seem to be too busy doing whatever it is Americans do to do that.

being disenfranchised, mostly