Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
There's a difference between a religion and a set of axioms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Halloween Jack posted:

I suppose that a lot of people in the political center don't really have ethical principles.

I suppose that the further people are from the centre the more they crave attention at the expense of other people’s blood and tears.

Or, you know, maybe we are both being a bit unfair.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

BRJurgis posted:

I don't know how to be constructive in the face of this. But I want to fight against it, and that fight starts in my heart and will be on my terms.

You can argue that the world doesn’t exist except in your mind, but then there is no struggle to be found of any kind.

If the world exists and presents struggles then it is not in your heart or on your terms. It is outside you, more vast than you alone can possibly contend with, and able to crush you out of existence with less than a sigh.

What will you do in the world on its terms?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't care how other people plan to vote, but I do find it disturbing that there doesn't seem to be any lower bound for voting for the lesser evil.

I find it disturbing that there are people who set a transition point below which they no longer care about worsening evil.

There’s a difference between good things and bad things, and between bad things and worse things.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Josef bugman posted:

1) You don't see how a minority person would perhaps feel somewhat let down if you vote for someone who is going to take away their rights because "the other side would be worse"? Do you think that a person would not have the right to feel that way?
Do you mean "...vote for someone who is going to take away their rights because 'the other side would be worse'?" or do you mean "...vote for someone who is going to take away their rights because the other side would be worse?". Because it is actually possible for one side to be bad and the other side to be worse. Or for one side to be good on some issues and bad on others and for the other side to be overall worse.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

theCalamity posted:

In a vacuum, voting for the lesser evil might be the most optimal. But in the world we live in now, it has compounded effects over time that makes it more difficult for actual good that can be achieved non-electorally.
Literally the only way this argument makes any sense as an accelerationist argument.

More people voting for the lesser evil over the last 30 years might well have prevented the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, millions of deaths, maybe even the pandemic (which could have been contained with swift, decisive action). If you think that making the world good is bad because it postpones your revolution then we have no common ground.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

hooman posted:

It's not an accelerationist argument, it's about support for good candidates and not supporting bad ones in the hope that you can change the direction of a party. Unprovable assertions (in the positive or the negative) are not a counter argument.

So when they said "...actual good that can be achieved non-electorally" they meant supporting good candidates?

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble
A major problem with this whole debate in relation to American politics is that America deserves a better system that actually allows for realistic emergence of third parties organically in normal times. What America has is a system that almost mathematically guarantees two party dominance the majority of the time, with maybe an occasional sudden realignment where one of the parties fucks up so badly that a rising force is able to take its place on one side of the scales.

The system as it stands means that when the general election is called and the two major parties have determined their candidates you have no realistic hope of making anyone but those two people president come election day. That's not fair or reasonable for a political system, and I suspect that the fact that isn't fair or reasonable colours the debate about how one should respond to it.

Anyone who thinks the system is unfair and that they shouldn't have to vote for the lesser evil, I agree with you. But that doesn't change the fact that in America, on election day, the winner will be either the better or worse candidate (or the bad or worse candidate if you prefer that framing). And you have a right to abstain from that contest if you wish. But they don't care if you abstain, like the major fraction of the population that already abstains. In fact if you're not playing their game they want you to abstain, and the ones who most oppose the things you want want you to abstain the most.

A lot of people are arguing that voting isn't much or isn't enough, and that's true. Voting isn't the most powerful thing you can do. But it's the most powerful thing you can do with your vote. There's only one other thing you can do with it, and that's throw it away.