Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

hooman posted:

My apologies, I should have been clearer, the slide to the right I was talking about is in rhetoric. The most recent case of which is the Border bill. The "sensible center" is from now on a militarised border.

I don't think the democrats have been moving "left" any more than the Tories have in the UK, it's just that crises are becoming so severe that the response capital demands to them has resulted in more needing to be done. I wouldn't place Biden to the left or the right of Obama or Clinton as they are all aligned along the neoliberal servant of capitalist agenda.

I think to say that people being radicalised against the system is inevitable is fatalism, it's just abandoning hope that things can be better.

Do you think the border bill was 100% democrats? Did you not follow how that came to be and how they needed to give the Republicans something in order to get a bill passed? Could you define "left" for me here because I'm worried you are using a different definition than most if you think Biden Obama and Clinton are all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Right our elections and especially the presidential election are unique because the consequences are global and we should be more engaged and participate in them more because the consequences are higher for everyone.

I mean even local poo poo like school board elections have huge impact on your life if you have kids or care about someone who does.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

This is the thing though, if you accept that it does exist then it's just an argument about degree and becomes a purely personal line of preference.

This is the thing though, the vote doesn't matter as anything other than a show of support and what it can practically do. Which is not a lot. You can make a level of compromise about it, but it still exists.

Votes are how people win elections.