Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Probably Magic posted:

The truth of the matter is, your vote will matter but it will matter less and less the broader the responsibility of the representative is. Though I find the Democratic Party deplorable, I still feel somewhat comfortable voting straight ticket for them on small positions such as city council, school board, etc. because they don't have much sway over things that are very fait accompli to me (foreign policy, national monetary policy, etc.) but can make a credible difference on conservation efforts, academic standards, etc., all of which is very important to livability for local marginalized groups and the like. There also, sadly, is rarely an "alternative" to the major party in these groups, and quite a few of them are nonpartisan and therefore party affiliation doesn't matter anyway. I still believe in voting so that people have agency on those matters.

The worst part is that even locally your vote may not matter at all. It is depressingly common here for the state Democratic Party to refuse to even put forward candidates for local elections, meaning anyone but the GOP candidate has to effectively run as a self-financed independent. Hell, this year the state party didn't even bother to hold its (proudly first in the nation) caucuses, but instead wants mail-in votes to be announced in May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Is it a democracy? You just said:

That's not a democracy, right? Democracy means the people are in control.

If it's only nominally a democracy, and people don't have any control over the government, then I don't see how it being a nominal democracy causes actual moral responsibility.

If it's a real democracy, where an ordinary person can have some control over what the government does, they're obviously responsible for what's within their control. All of what's in their control, and nothing more.

We're honestly much more a gerontocracy than democracy, as a result of both major parties gaming the seniority rules in the Senate to exercise power when not in majority. People voting doesn't mean as much as you'd think when two centralized organizations and their donors essentially control who can mount a sufficient campaign to get ballot access.