Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

hooman posted:

Don't let the importance of a single vote get to you. You do not control the system, you are a part of it, so most importantly look after yourself and don't stress yourself out about the difference that your single vote makes because, fundamentally, it's none.

If you want to look at systemic change, the democrats slide right to appeal to voters they think they can win over (theoretically) so voting for them when they support genocide is signalling that supporting genocide is not the line that will cost them. This allows them to slide further right to find new voters. They can't tell what is in your heart of hearts, they can't tell how reluctant you feel to vote for them, they see a vote and that vote is an approval of the policies and the person they have in place.

No future Republican will be better than Trump, they will all be worse, because while Trump is truly horrible he is also wildly incompetent, dumb and self sabotaging. When you are trapped in a 2 party system and you want one of those parties to change, you have to withdraw your vote in order to force change. I agree with posts made previously that the change may not be for the better, but you want 0 genocides supported, you have to try and hope.

Am I misreading something or is your final paragraph saying, unironically, that Trump might be "change [...] for the better" on specifically the issue of the ongoing genocide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

volts5000 posted:

Still don't see any mention of trans rights, abortion rights, labor rights, or Ukraine. Unless you're taking a principled stand against those. If that's the case, then I totally understand not voting for Biden.

I think the poster is saying if Biden was 100% the perfect candidate and aligned with their views on everything, BUT was also a credibly accused rapist, they would not vote for Biden so a lot of the other things you brought up don't matter.

Eiba posted:

From where I'm sitting it looks like people who think it is correct to not vote in this case are saying, "I don't care about the material consequences of my actions, I want to maintain a purely abstract ethical purity."

Also this. I don't agree because to me, the lesser of two evils will always be better in a system where one candidate is going to win for sure. But I get where they're coming from, misguided as I believe it might be.

Tatsuta Age fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 9, 2024

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Yeah the trolley problem becomes really simple if you change the problem. Why didn't anyone else think of that!