Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

People who say that he was killed by Putin are conspiracy theorists and this really ought to evolve into a wider discussion about mental health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
rip and morty to the alternate russian fascism focus tree leader

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pretty ripe crop of syqs so I suppose this dumb racist guy's death was a worthy sacrifice after all

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
promises made, promises kept

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

died gay, so what

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/TheEconomist/status/1758825419879444882?s=20

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lol that quote

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

this toilet, is my astronaut chair....this bag of pruno is my tang. this dead rat, my space helmet

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://www.theonion.com/no-prison-can-hold-me-as-long-as-i-have-my-imagination-1819584047

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

should have gone with the Rorschach quote.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

lol

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

gulaged lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Al! posted:

this toilet, is my astronaut chair....this bag of pruno is my tang. this dead rat, my space helmet

lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Tribute to Navalnyj, one the bravest men ever”

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

alexei's final brutal sock party with bowie's "Starman" refrain playing in a wes anderson film

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

didn't even know he was sick

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
favorite navalny stories:
back when he was an unknown (though he's not really an 'outsider' as usually portrayed. he wifes family helped write the current russian constitution) Navalny attended some sort of political gala at Gogol (a 'dive bar' largely inhabited by russian nepobabies) and was openly trying to gently caress Masha Gaidar, the daughter of the man who implemented Yeltsin's financial reforms. He got lightly heckled by some Chechnyans, and got macho and racist about it. Eventually the chechnyan challenges him to a fistfight if he has a problem with them being there, and he agrees. When they go outside Navalny pulls out an Osa pistol (a "nonlethal" sort of shotgun that mangles your opponent with birdshot basically) and magdumps the guys face while screaming racial epithets.
This is the incident that really puts him on the radar as a bridge between the neofascist and yabloko-style liberals as pretty much everyone in both those worlds likes this sort of thing.

anyway it's funny he's dead and gonna be canonized as a saint by liberal freaks

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Masha Gaidar, the hot elitny daughter of Russia’s first and worst prime minister, Yegor Gaidar (who introduced “shock therapy” back in 1992, wiping out everyone’s savings), announced today that she agreed to take a government post as an advisor to Kirov governor Nikita Belykh. Just recently, Gaidar accused Belykh of “selling his soul to the devil” when he accepted the governorship of the Kirov region. Looks like every liberal soul has a price.

Gaidar has been a regular at the anti-Putin “Other Russia” marches going back a couple of years. Like Gaidar, Belykh is another Russian liberal who used to march against Putin and occasionally get arrested.

Limonov was right about Putin and Russia’s liberals: Putin’s regime is essentially a liberal regime (after all, liberals created the Putin regime); so when they protest, all they’re really protesting is their lack of power in the current structure, not the structure itself.

Mark Ames ftw

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
she'd get "better" in the eyes of the west when she became an advisor and vice-governor of Odesa in post-maidan ukraine, along with the corrupt exiled president georgia saakashvili. then she made aliyah to isreal
what a life

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

favorite navalny stories:
back when he was an unknown (though he's not really an 'outsider' as usually portrayed. he wifes family helped write the current russian constitution) Navalny attended some sort of political gala at Gogol (a 'dive bar' largely inhabited by russian nepobabies) and was openly trying to gently caress Masha Gaidar, the daughter of the man who implemented Yeltsin's financial reforms. He got lightly heckled by some Chechnyans, and got macho and racist about it. Eventually the chechnyan challenges him to a fistfight if he has a problem with them being there, and he agrees. When they go outside Navalny pulls out an Osa pistol (a "nonlethal" sort of shotgun that mangles your opponent with birdshot basically) and magdumps the guys face while screaming racial epithets.
This is the incident that really puts him on the radar as a bridge between the neofascist and yabloko-style liberals as pretty much everyone in both those worlds likes this sort of thing.

anyway it's funny he's dead and gonna be canonized as a saint by liberal freaks

Lmfao badass, love seeing media and GBS retards go nuts for this crazy violent racist nazi bitch

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

DaysBefore posted:

Lmfao badass, love seeing media and GBS retards go nuts for this crazy violent racist nazi bitch

we love our crusaders don't we folks

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Karach posted:

we love our crusaders don't we folks

Let's not forget he's a massive homophobe too, the guy loved dropping the Russian version of the f-slur to describe people he hates

quote:

“I’m the main opposition leader not because I banned everyone else from being one, but because it’s scary to be one.” Navalny grabs an empty chair. “This seat is free, please, take a seat. But it comes with Prigozhin’s pidorasy,” he says, using a homophobic mat insult. He gestures at the troll, who is now eating a souvlaki. “Are you ready to live with them?”

Navalny says he is relieved his daughter began undergraduate studies on a scholarship to Stanford and “won’t be going to university at 18 with these pidorasy following her and filming her”.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Beached Whale posted:

Let's not forget he's a massive homophobe too

Not anymore lol

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

he WAS a brave freedom fighter for racism and homophobia

rest in peace

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Forgot about this dude and just read his wikipedia entry and it's full of stuff like "His views about Russian nationalism have evolved" which I'm guessing really means "narratives from the media that we count as sources evolved to not mention his racism as much"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fortaleza posted:

Forgot about this dude and just read his wikipedia entry and it's full of stuff like "His views about Russian nationalism have evolved" which I'm guessing really means "narratives from the media that we count as sources evolved to not mention his racism as much"

that and his Western buddies told him to shut the gently caress up about how much he hates browns and gays

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

that and his Western buddies told him to shut the gently caress up about how much he hates browns and gays

wikipedia posted:

In 2017, Leonid Volkov, Navalny's chief of staff, said that Navalny's team supports the legalisation of same-sex marriage.[453]

Only mention of gay rights in the multi-page article and it's the best they could come up with lol

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Volkov sounds like a racist caricature of a Russian nazi's name

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

volkerballov

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
how loving dumb do you have to be to go back to russia to do anti-putin poo poo instead of doing the US shitlib lecture circuit and getting a fake think tank job?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

how loving dumb do you have to be to go back to russia to do anti-putin poo poo instead of doing the US shitlib lecture circuit and getting a fake think tank job?

over-confidence

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:20 on Feb 19, 2024

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Of course America freaks out whenever Putin kills another Nazi

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVNJiO10SWw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's funny how he was the "official opposition" to Putin when the communist party have always been second place in elections

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
To be fair, the post-1991/3 Russian Communist Party has always been pretty ramshackle, and there don't really press Putin too much even on non-foreign policy issues. They are also not demanding regime change or "elections at will."

Admittedly, I do think the RKP does have a place in Russian society even if it is to give pensioners and some workers a rallying point and keep some balance in the current idea of Russian civic nationalism. It just isn't going to change much, and neither will the other 2 parties running. I think Just Russia is simply openly endorsing Putin at this point.

Otherwise, Putin's approval is roughly 83-85% and that remainder is pretty eclectic in terms of their beliefs (from Trots to Neo-Nazis to Navalny "liberals to Monarchists etc.)

Weka
May 5, 2019

quote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/19/world/europe/navalny-letters-russia.html
https://archive.ph/99soQ

To a friend, the Russian photographer Evgeny Feldman, Mr. Navalny confided that the electoral agenda of former U.S. President Donald J. Trump looked “really scary.”

Personally I like things that scare fascists.

Mr Trump has finally broken his silence on Navalny's death and it is the most cogent commentary I have seen on the matter.

Back in the day the CIA could make much better use of a fellow like Navalny than a milquetoast martyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

lol i was wondering that too. he flew back of his ownnvolition:dafuq: