Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the Featherweight champion at the beginning of 2025?
This poll is closed.
Still Alexander Volkanovski 3 27.27%
Ilia Topuria, the new generation 3 27.27%
Sean O'Malley, because weight classes don't matter 0 0%
Frankie Edgar, motherfuckers 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ccubed posted:

I didn't notice in the moment, but mountain tiger was complaining about an eyepoke before the finish. if beltran had paused it there the whole fight coulda gone differently

https://twitter.com/ContentFight/status/1759024631216828447

Can't leave anything up to the judges referee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

All those times commentators say that fighters need to back themselves and make callouts and build themselves up, and this guy makes a callout and Rogan says,"Well let's not get ahead of ourselves..." :lol:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

All those times commentators say that fighters need to back themselves and make callouts and build themselves up, and this guy makes a callout and Rogan says,"Well let's not get ahead of ourselves..." :lol:

ok yeah but he called out the champ on his debut hahaha, maybe pick a couple names in the top 15 first or something.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
https://youtu.be/QXDU-XN9Mxs?si=zzs1-5Gs9_nDYDZ6

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://streamable.com/jxiu13 (1:40)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Brut posted:

ok yeah but he called out the champ on his debut hahaha, maybe pick a couple names in the top 15 first or something.

Go hard or go home!
98% of the roster go hard and immediately have to go home

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Anaheim, you deserve everything bad that has ever happened to you.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CarlCX posted:

Anaheim, you deserve everything bad that has ever happened to you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Having read Carl's OP, I guess Sherdog and UFC both don't include Ultimate Fighter in their stats as Vera's not listed as having actually had a fight since September of 2022, and that was for Fury FC?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Having read Carl's OP, I guess Sherdog and UFC both don't include Ultimate Fighter in their stats as Vera's not listed as having actually had a fight since September of 2022, and that was for Fury FC?

Yeah, with the exception of that one season where they did them live TUF fights are legally considered exhibitions because that way a) they can make them only two rounds long and b) they don't have to legally disclose the results after the fights happen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That makes sense, it does make his 11-3-0 record in Fury indicate a pretty big gulf between the companies. I'm sure that's no surprise to anybody, I guess I should have grasped that after Ben Askren came into UFC from being a big fish in a small pond constantly talking poo poo to Dana White, to being retired within a year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like that De Lima seems to be a dark souls random npc. Looks like he's in some loop of movement and then just explodes with ferocity. I hope Tafa can put him out though.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

t r a s h w e i g h t

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

de Lima has negative fight iq.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think if one of those shots hit me my entire skeleton would disintegrate :ohdear:

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
bad fight IQ but when these leg kicks are nasty

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

de lima has been fighting for a decade and a half and his sense of tactics is still bellatoresque

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If he didn't have a career this dumb you'd wonder if he was carrying for a round.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Guy is in the corner saying,"My leg hurts and I don't know if I can stand on it" and they're just telling him,"Well you gotta!"

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

boy, that young lion marcos rogerio de lima sure is going places in this division

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
How was Tafa ranked in Glory? He seems baffled by the idea of going southpaw.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Devoz posted:

How was Tafa ranked in Glory? He seems baffled by the idea of going southpaw.

He hits loving hard and has an iron chin. At HW that makes you a contender.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

You know the way heavyweight MMA is always like 2 guys who are genuinely great, and then 3-6 guys who are good, and maybe a few guys who are okay, and then after that it's like a raging scrap heap of people chucking haymakers and seeing who lands first? Heavyweight kickboxing is not actually dissimilar, the kicks are just prettier.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I still find Mackenzie Dern extremely annoying.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Is Dern the one who kept changing accents and claimed nationalities or was that a different underwhelming fighter they desperately want to be a contender?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What was that with the guy on mics (Dern's corner?) yelling,"WHAT'S HE DOING GOING INSIDE!?! I'LL GO THE OTHER WAY!" ?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God she's dead. End it, ref.

Edit: Or maybe not!?! The way she froze, reached up to her face and then toppled like a tree was terrifying.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Is Dern the one who kept changing accents and claimed nationalities or was that a different underwhelming fighter they desperately want to be a contender?

Yes that is her but as someone who switches between languages and who I'm talking to a lot, I think the accusations of her doing it on purpose are just complete nonsense.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

*Lemos packs four duffel bags full of Mackenzie Dern's remains into the back of a rented Buick* "The ref could end this any moment!"

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Dern got lit up

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

What was that with the guy on mics (Dern's corner?) yelling,"WHAT'S HE DOING GOING INSIDE!?! I'LL GO THE OTHER WAY!" ?

You're only allowed a certain number of people in the cage between rounds (2 I think?) and usually there is some kind of consensus on who's gonna be doing what.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

No that's Dern.

She was born in Arizona, lives in California and has spent the overwhelming majority of her life in the US but her father was brazilian and took her to brazil a few times as a kid and teenager and she's bilingual and speaks Portuguese at home, but despite being as american as it gets she has the brazillian flag on her graphic and puts on a fake weird accent for some interviews.

To be fair. Her accent is about as consistent as her octagon performances, has its highs and lows but it's usually ugly to watch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Brut posted:

You're only allowed a certain number of people in the cage between rounds (2 I think?) and usually there is some kind of consensus on who's gonna be doing what.

Thanks! Guess there were some crossed wires on that.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

this fight is fun, gently caress the dern haters

but also how do you get into the top 10 if you let your legs get chewed up like that in 90s

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Faustian Bargain posted:

but also how do you get into the top 10 if you let your legs get chewed up like that in 90s

It's WMMA there's about 4 proficient fighters across 3 divisions.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The thing is, the problem with Mackenzie Dern is only like 10% Mackenzie Dern. She's tough as nails, she has the best grappling in the division, if she could make her striking not terrible she'd be a serious threat.

It's just everything around Mackenzie Dern.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still can't believe this fight wasn't ended after that collapse, and that it seems entirely reasonable now!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

surprisingly fun fight

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Did Dern think she had a chance? She was holding her hand up as if there was a hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Faustian Bargain posted:

I dunno dude, remember how Tafa looked trying to walk? Okay, now go watch how Dern walks back to her corner at the end of r1, here:

https://streamable.com/mzs338

Still agree with the commentary?