Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

These are the two thunderdomes in the goon game, remember especially for the top one they wrap around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
SI report I posted on a forum that was not familiar with the game. 60 turns, 3 minute rounds (which is way too short), 4 players and a Sessional game.

News from Hell posted:

So I joined a four player game as a noob and predictably got crushed. I played as Astaroth (a war and conquest archfiend). My opponents were Belial (deceptive manipulator), Lilith (sorceress) and Mammon (lord of money). I started off with two places of power immediately next to me so I seized both and built up my only legion with a Praetor (hero) and a piece of equipment.

Fast forward a couple of turns and one of the archfiends had executed an event (I think) that eliminated my only legion and the resources I put into it. Then Belial and Mammon basically crushed me by taking away my Places of Power. But was I done? Oh no. Stunted and doomed though I was as the least of the four archfiends, I caused chaos in Hell by inviting an Angel unit from Heaven to go around Hell and eliminate one of each Archfiend's unit. Also there were other shenanigans as I was boxed in to my little piece of territory.

Fast forward to the end. Belial's player had been hounding me incessantly and Mammon was winning the game at like turn 30 with 335 prestige (victory points). The Lilith player wanted to secure some semblance of victory so she vassalized herself to Mammon, giving half her personal prestige to her new master. Belial's player had been rather aggressive so I began weaving spells to hinder his colossal units like The Beast of Hell and a walking fortress, both units with over 20 hitpoints (average is 4-8 hp). Between the three of us Belial's player got his super units torched and he ragequit in response. Mammon was going to win. I was fine with that. When Mammon ascended the Infernal Throne, there was a shadow that parted from behind the throne. Lilith had a secret relic that gave her the ability to win if she correctly vassalized herslf to an Archfiend who was going to win via her manipulation. Mammon with his 300+ prestige was just a puppet. Such is Hell.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I done got got.

Senethro fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 27, 2024

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is the Goon game already running? No problem if so, I'll try and join the next one I think.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
thanks for that Helical Nightmares

That's the good poo poo.

I really wish developers of turn based games like this would implement some kind of screen reading or text to speech. I'd feel a lot more comfortable trying something like this out if I knew I wasn't gonna give myself eye strain.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Popete posted:

Is the Goon game already running? No problem if so, I'll try and join the next one I think.

The one mentioned earlier here, yes. Games run so slowly multiple games probably shouldn’t be a problem.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Popete posted:

We have one game that started, but it's async so pretty slow. We can have multiple games going at a time!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cool, I still have to run thru the tutorial as I just picked this up. If nobody sets up another game before I do that later today I'll start one.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

the og game was absolutely fantastic despite players eventually cracking the meta, and I love everything the guy has ever made

e: oh its not a vic Davis project? shame, but a solium remake by an obsessed fan with his blessing is still exciting

also iirc he made four computer games total: Armageddon Empires, Solium, a wild west card game, and a very cool lovecraftian mansion simulator

What was the meta in the OG game? I did play it a bit but mostly against the AI. I think I stacked charisma for tribute. All the tribute all the time.

In particular in the first game I thought it was really obvious if somebody was doing the vassal to win thing because it was really expensive to pick that and you could tell if knew somebody's stats were suspiciously low.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

SI report I posted on a forum that was not familiar with the game. 60 turns, 3 minute rounds (which is way too short), 4 players and a Sessional game.

Nice. In old SI it was called Kingmaker.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Sekenr posted:

Nice. In old SI it was called Kingmaker.

There was two kingmaker and power behind the throne.

Power Behind the Throne required you to blood vassal while Kingmaker required to make the choice blind at the beginning of the game.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

WarpedLichen posted:

There was two kingmaker and power behind the throne.

Power Behind the Throne required you to blood vassal while Kingmaker required to make the choice blind at the beginning of the game.

The same crowns still exist. You must do the kingmaker selection during 10 turns so maybe 1/5 of the game in in a normal length game. Dunno if it scales with game length.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Something I didn't realise are that the rules for capturing cantons aren't what you might expect. Neutral ones you just walk over, but enemy ones have to be next to an existing canton/PoP you control AND your legion must end their turn on it. Not at all obvious! I had to ask in discord to find out.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

distortion park posted:

Something I didn't realise are that the rules for capturing cantons aren't what you might expect. Neutral ones you just walk over, but enemy ones have to be next to an existing canton/PoP you control AND your legion must end their turn on it. Not at all obvious! I had to ask in discord to find out.

Yes. That means you can capture at most one canton each turn with one legion. So don't go into war thinking "heh I'll capture 6 cantons easily during 3 turn vendetta".

Next I wish I understood how support works. I had 3 armies around my attacking army supporting it, and attacking army had siege ballista which should double the damage against Places of Power.

Well I guess that means it doesn't double the attack power, just the damage after attack power comparison... so if your attack power sucks and you do no damage, the damage will be 0*2 = 0.

It is not easy to capture a 20/28/24 36hp Pandemonium. In fact I have no idea how to even do it - 4 armies with Praetors didn't even scratch the paint off the fortress.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

Yes. That means you can capture at most one canton each turn with one legion. So don't go into war thinking "heh I'll capture 6 cantons easily during 3 turn vendetta".

Next I wish I understood how support works. I had 3 armies around my attacking army supporting it, and attacking army had siege ballista which should double the damage against Places of Power.

Well I guess that means it doesn't double the attack power, just the damage after attack power comparison... so if your attack power sucks and you do no damage, the damage will be 0*2 = 0.

It is not easy to capture a 20/28/24 36hp Pandemonium. In fact I have no idea how to even do it - 4 armies with Praetors didn't even scratch the paint off the fortress.

In one of the game I played, a player was using a ritual that sacrifice a unit but give all its stats to another unit. The player cast this like 3-4 times, then put a relic that double damage against place of power. Then he teleport this legion in and one shot Pandemonium. That's pretty crazy, but then another player has a counter prepared...he has an orb of oblivion which is a relic that kills whoever that kills the unit it is on. Somehow he used it to suicide into the captured Pandemonium and this KILLED THE PLAYER. The player got straight up eliminated. (this was during the beta and I think it's a bug)

Also I think the more archfiend in good standing, the more stats Pandemonium has, so if some players get eliminated or excommunicated it'll weaken Pandemonium significantly.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

pedro0930 posted:

In one of the game I played, a player was using a ritual that sacrifice a unit but give all its stats to another unit. The player cast this like 3-4 times, then put a relic that double damage against place of power. Then he teleport this legion in and one shot Pandemonium. That's pretty crazy, but then another player has a counter prepared...he has an orb of oblivion which is a relic that kills whoever that kills the unit it is on. Somehow he used it to suicide into the captured Pandemonium and this KILLED THE PLAYER. The player got straight up eliminated. (this was during the beta and I think it's a bug)

Also I think the more archfiend in good standing, the more stats Pandemonium has, so if some players get eliminated or excommunicated it'll weaken Pandemonium significantly.

Yeah doesn't sound right, Orb specifically states it can't affect pandemonium. Haven't tried myself if it's still bugged.

I've created a second six player game if more people want in, code 661788. No harm in doubling up either though give new folks a chance to get in.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Armies support any battle they are adjacent to. So if army A is adjacent to friendly army B that attacks enemy army C they will only support army B if they also border army C.

The turn order is incredibly important in this game because vendettas end the moment their objective is achieved. So if you move first and take the last canton in your vendetta objective, then the war is immediately over and any hostile move queued up against you from the other player is now invalid and wasted.

Also the Mapgoons discord is playing this and looking for more players. Right now I'm hosting an async game and I'm putting up another 6 player async game with the caveat we're aiming for a 2-3 hour live session every Saturday. We also play Dominions 6.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 28, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

WarpedLichen posted:

What was the meta in the OG game? I did play it a bit but mostly against the AI. I think I stacked charisma for tribute. All the tribute all the time.

In particular in the first game I thought it was really obvious if somebody was doing the vassal to win thing because it was really expensive to pick that and you could tell if knew somebody's stats were suspiciously low.

Mostly eventually revolved around abusing Pandemonium, either to let you bludgeon other players to death if you're not the prestige leader, or for a deceit fiend to fake an attack on Pandemonium and get someone else excommunicated.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think one of the prophecy rituals lets you see another players first slot relic. Dunno if that tells you if they have a crown or not.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I think one of the prophecy rituals lets you see another players first slot relic. Dunno if that tells you if they have a crown or not.

And prophery resistance and increasing prophecy power or using covering rituals increases the chance you can mask what relics you own? Hmm.

This game is way too exciting. Perhaps because I have too much time to think what to do... so many options..

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'd love to get notifications via email or whatever out of the game, I'm not at my computer all day but could easily log on when my turn came up if I did.

It seems to be quite successful on Steam (outside of some reviewers being salty that they got excommunicated or whatever) so far so hopefully they'll be able to iterate on it a bit. The core game is really very good.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

There are Steam notifications for live update of turns being ready, but I can't see if those go into a log somewhere I can check without opening the app.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Senethro posted:

There are Steam notifications for live update of turns being ready, but I can't see if those go into a log somewhere I can check without opening the app.

I think it might be possible to get email ones here (by accepting emails but rejecting all the marketing ones), and then it should be easy enough to get an alert in the format you want, am trying it out: https://store.steampowered.com/account/emailoptout

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So how do you avoid losing if someone picks you as kingmaker or whatever? Is there an other way to win as a vassal besides power behind the throne?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Parallelwoody posted:

So how do you avoid losing if someone picks you as kingmaker or whatever? Is there an other way to win as a vassal besides power behind the throne?

I think Kingmaker only works with prestige, you can win by taking Pandemonium or you can eliminate the Kingmaker first before winning by prestige.

IIRC taking Pandemonium is pretty tough and eliminating another player is also pretty tough.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I've heard if you use level 6 prophecy ritual you can detect enemy relic/trait and it disables the manipulation victory relic if it's revealed.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Parallelwoody posted:

Just kill em.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Eschatos posted:

Yeah doesn't sound right, Orb specifically states it can't affect pandemonium. Haven't tried myself if it's still bugged.

I've created a second six player game if more people want in, code 661788. No harm in doubling up either though give new folks a chance to get in.

One slot left, jump in for a fun session of Demonic Bureaucracy.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Just got this game and I’m hooked. I played the original game by email over a decade ago and even though I sucked at it I still loved it. This remake is everything I was hoping for and it’s sooo good. Now I can get my rear end kicked by my friends again but in 3D

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like how they made the map "endless" it's mostly an aesthetic thing but it does set the tone of a confusing nonsensical landscape.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Another Solium Infernum report...

I joined a live game with 5 total Archfiends: Belial (myself), Beelzebub (player UnderKingDuck), Erzsebet, Mammon and Astaroth. For the first 25 turns everyone left me alone to build up resources as I was an unknown quantity. At least that is what I suspect. It was very useful since it was my second game in total. I had recognized player UnderKingDuck as a playtester, and I think veteran of the original Solium Infernum by Vic Davis, so I decided to give him (Beelzebub) a wide berth.

In the midgame, Hell exploded. Astaroth (who had been bullied and moved to last place in victory points by the very strong Erzsebet) summoned The Beast of Hell and quickly moved to conquer Pandemonium. If Astaroth could keep the capital of Pandemonium for 5 turns, he would win. Additionally, Astaroth had also acquired the services of the Gorgon, a giant snake that shoots lasers from its eyes, and parked it right next to his home in Hell, to ward off all comers.

Erzsebet marshalled her forces, including summoning another Titan, this time the Children of Typhon a two headed giant, and slew Astaroth's Gorgon.

Astaroth moved his Beast of Hell against Beelzebub and destroyed Beelzebub's home base. However, through a clever bit of maneuvering, Beelzebub had made plans to invade his own base with his army and retake ownership of the hex back from Astaroth. I'm still not sure about how the sequence of events unfolded but it was a masterstroke.

Erzsebet broke the back of Astaroth by invading his now defenseless headquarters and removing him from the board.

Since Erzsebet was the archfiend with the most victory points I tried to harry her with lightning from the sky, targeting her military assets, and by stealing from her treasury. To no avail.

Beelzebub, who had a hard go of it early on and whom I had given resources so he would better be able to bedevil the other players, marched right in to my territory with a dramatically strong legion after he took possession of Pandemonium and lopped my head right off by grinding my headquarters to dust. So much for the Devil you Know.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

Duck is often conducting science experiments in actual games, so it's difficult to tell if he's planning something or if it will ever work.

Also I don't think you can recap your stronghold. That works for regular pops though. He may have done a skip all strat, or used the anti-cap telic to save himself

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
Recapturing your own stronghold before the end of turn resolution does work, I've had it done against me in one of my games.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I also just saw it happen 10 minutes ago, so clearly it does.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Played through an online multiplayer game as Mammon with the crown of bureaucracy that gives +1 order. It was definitely strong and I was in the lead the whole game. I think I wound up hitting the order cap around turn 25 and lost out on its benefit though, as with Mammon you can really get the tribute rolling. Was cruising through the council phase with like a 300 prestige lead (though I think nobody else was bothering once they saw my turn by turn gain.) until the following poo poo happened:

Belial spammed masked destruction rituals at Pan and got lucky rolls, excommunicating me.
I charged pan to take it over with titans before everyone else who was planning to do the same could.
The game desynced and skipped a turn, desummoning all legions that had an upkeep cost and ending all rituals
Lillith wound up taking over Pan with her basic legion, which she had been feeding abyss striders to all game for tons of promotions.
Even though she hit seize, the conclave awarded the win to Belial that turn for some reason? he was the only non-excommunicated one.

My overall takeaways: CoB strong but endgames are going to be such a clusterfuck that you never know what's going to happen and a "normal" election victory is probably never going to happen, even without weird bugs.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
I still learning to play but I will be down for some asynchronous play.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Senethro posted:

Duck is often conducting science experiments in actual games, so it's difficult to tell if he's planning something or if it will ever work.

Also I don't think you can recap your stronghold. That works for regular pops though. He may have done a skip all strat, or used the anti-cap telic to save himself

You can, I had a game where I lost it and recapped it with a unit that had been trying to move through it. Stayed alive until my opponent retook it the next turn.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

5 person game is open, preferably people who also don't know what they're doing.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Joined as Astaroth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm in one goon game currently, care if I join this one as well?