Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

:siren: If you haven't seen RoboCop, GO WATCH ROBOCOP BEFORE WATCHING THIS!!! :siren:

ABOUT THE GAME

RoboCop: Rogue City is a first-person shooter/RPG-lite developed by Teyon (of Terminator: Resistance fame) and published by Nacon (of Lord of the Rings: Gollum fame, but let's not hold that against them this time), released for PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles on November 2, 2023. Just like Terminator: Resistance with its respective franchise, this is pretty much a love letter to fans of RoboCop while being a fun - albeit often quite janky, having been made by a small dev team in Poland - game in its own right.

Of course, while in Terminator: Resistance you played as a regular person desperately battling against Skynet's nearly unbeatable killing machines, RoboCop: Rogue City puts you in the shiny armor of Detroit's favorite son, Omni Consumer Products Crime Prevention Unit 001 himself. Voiced by original actor Peter Weller, no less! If you've seen Paul Verhoeven's 1987 classic (if you haven't, :frogsiren: STOP READING THIS RIGHT NOW AND GO WATCH ROBOCOP! :frogsiren:), you know that this fusion of Officer Alex Murphy's remains and OCP's cybernetics is essentially a walking tank and it takes an ungodly amount of firepower and/or a very lucky shot to even put a significant dent in him. To retain some semblance of challenge, RoboCop isn't quite as bulletproof as he is in the movies, at least not until you level up a bit. He is still incredibly powerful, and you definitely feel that as you make your way through the game.

While the game starts out as a linear shooter in its opening chapter, you soon get to explore areas such as the Metro West police station and beautiful and scenic downtown Detroit, which contain various sidequests and objectives you can complete at your leisure. There is also a surprisingly in-depth skill tree that lets you customize RoboCop as you please. Want to focus on extra damage and better armor? Sure, you can do that (and there's even a separate upgrade system just for RoboCop's almighty Auto-9 hand cannon). Want to hack turrets or ricochet your bullets off walls? Go right ahead! You can also put your points into different non-combat skills, as Rogue City features a lot of dialog options (with skill checks for various situations!) and multiple endings depending on your actions. If you want to, you can play RoboCop as a cold OCP robot upholding the poo poo out of the law and completely ignore his human side, but anyone who's seen RoboCop (again, please go watch RoboCop if you haven't) knows that's not how Murphy rolls. So, we'll be focusing on serving the public trust and protecting the innocent as much as we can while remembering that despite everything, RoboCop is still Alex Murphy.

The story takes place after RoboCop 2 but thankfully doesn't really require watching RoboCop 2. The drug lord Cain is dead, but other crooks in Detroit have taken over his Nuke business while a mysterious "new guy in town" is working with the gangs and gaining influence in the underworld. Meanwhile, RoboCop is experiencing visions of his past life, causing him to malfunction at inopportune times, which of course means bad press for OCP and we certainly can't have that...

ABOUT THE LP

This is a completionist-ish playthrough (all main and side objectives + police work + notes, but not literally every piece of crime evidence or anything like that) of the campaign, recorded on the Steam version. The PC release has some frame time stutters when recording (and only when recording), no matter what my graphics or recording settings are - actually, I don't think I've ever seen recorded gameplay of the PC version without these stutters and the usual Unreal Engine hitches, even on monstrously powerful PCs like mine. Also, ChaosArgate joins me again for commentary, so there's at least someone on this LP who can talk properly. :v:

I was planning to start this after finishing Spider-Man: Miles Morales, but since I'm having some trouble getting motivated to record commentary for the last few SM:MM episodes, I'm just gonna put this up now. Updates will happen when I have time to post them.

:siren: I should probably also include some sort of gore warning because this game certainly takes cues from Paul Verhoeven and his brand of comically over the top ultraviolence. So, uh, lots of blood and gore and body parts flying around in this one, hopefully not too much for YouTube.

Oh yeah, and no spoilers for the game's story, please! General RoboCop chat is fine.

VIDEOS

Playlist

Episode 1: Breaking News
Episode 2: RoboPolice Quest
Episode 3: Hard Boiled
Episode 4: 8.2 MPG
Episode 5: The Search for Soot
Episode 6: Firestarter
Episode 7: Vultures
Episode 8: Flashbacks
Episode 9: 20 Seconds to Comply
Episode 10: Payday
Episode 11: The Old Man
Episode 12: Resistance
Episode 13: Be Kind Rewind
Episode 14: Ghosts from the Past CLICK HERE for cut commentary version!
Episode 15: The Future of Law Enforcement
Episode 16: Wendell's Confession

------

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

A "BRIEF" GUIDE TO ROBOCOP'S SKILLS :words:

------

Here's a look at all eight of RoboCop's skill trees. As we can see, each of them has ten levels, with new abilities unlocking at levels 2, 6, and 10. We'll start from the beginning, which is always a good place to start.

COMBAT, as you might expect, affects your damage output. With each levelup, you add +5% damage to all your weapons. This is not something you particularly need early on, and if you're focusing on the Auto-9, there is a much better way to increase its damage output specifically. At level 2, you unlock Shockwave, which works like a flashbang. Pretty solid if you're surrounded by heavily armed enemies and need a breather, but I usually prefer to just shoot them especially since the shockwave isn't particularly reliable. Reloading Strike reloads all carried weapons when you clobber someone with your robo-punch, which can come in handy but isn't that essential especially if you've upgraded your Auto-9 with the automatic ammo feeder. Enhanced Shockwave is an instakill on nearby enemies, which is obviously pretty nice.

ARMOR increases your damage reduction, again by 5% per level. I don't remember the exact percentages for every skill off the top of my head, but most of them including Combat and Armor are definitely +5% per level, up to a maximum of +50%. RoboCop is already quite hardy so you don't need this in the beginning, but it will come in handy once you reach the second big map (I won't go to specifics just yet, but you'll know when we get there) as that can be a pretty major difficulty spike, especially the latter part of that chapter with some very powerful enemies. Shield reduces all incoming damage by 80% for maybe 5 seconds and has a pretty short cooldown, making it probably the most useful combat-related ability in the game. High Damage Reduction is also helpful when dealing with big boy enemies and mines. Deflect is fun to mess around with, but it's not essential as you do still take some damage from that small caliber fire and the ricochet might hit something you don't want it to (this is only a potential issue in one specific area very late in the game, which I'll point out once we get there).

VITALITY is more health. More health is always good. Fuse Boxes Recovery lets you, well, recover health by connecting to fuse boxes and increases max healing item capacity to 4. Enhanced Fuse Boxes Recovery gives you a full heal from fuse boxes and increases healing item capacity to 5. Auto Regeneration is health regen up to 75% of your max. Pretty self-explanatory, these. Also not super necessary in the early game, but you might as well have as much armor and health as possible at some point. Not just because they're useful, but because you are RoboCop and therefore you're canonically supposed to be tanky as gently caress.

ENGINEERING is one of the more interesting trees. Here, each level increases your "Chip Modificator Bonus" by 5%. This affects the upgrade chips you install into the Auto-9 once you unlock that option. Each chip you add to the Auto-9 PCB has its own percentage bonus, and putting points to Engineering increases those bonuses. This is how you make the Auto-9 obscenely powerful. In terms of abilities, we've got Dash which is what it says on the tin - a quick speed boost that lets you dodge attacks or smash into enemies. Cracking allows you to open any safe without the combination, but since finding the combination always gives you a bit of XP and safes only ever contain crime evidence (unless that has been changed in the recent update, which added some new PCBs and such), this isn't particularly necessary. It also lets you hack enemy turrets, which is fun and useful when you get to do it, but very situational. Enhanced Dash reduces the rather hefty cooldown and actually makes Dash useful for dodging.

FOCUS is mainly about the Slow Motion ability. Bullet time, basically. Pretty handy, especially with the Enhanced Critical Damage for shots to the head, junk and other sensitive bits depending on the enemy type, as well as Enhanced Slow Motion which increases Slow Motion duration whenever you kill an enemy in Slow Motion. I don't use Slow Motion that much, but it's still good to have as an option.

SCANNING extends your RoboCop Vision (which I still prefer to call RoboVision) range to find interactable stuff easier during investigations, but that's not all that exciting. What is exciting is Ricochet. Once you unlock the ability, RoboCop Vision will highlight walls and objects that can be used to bounce bullets at enemies. Not only is this fun, it's also extremely powerful as the ricocheting bullets always seem to score a critical hit or at least deal obscene amounts of damage. Instant Scanner instantly highlights all enemies in RoboCop Vision's FOV, and Ricochet Split makes ricocheting bullets split and hit multiple enemies. :ocelot:

DEDUCTION focuses mainly on the investigation mechanics, but is especially important for its XP bonuses. Rogue City doesn't give you enough XP to max out every skill until NG+, but getting the +30% overall bonus from Enhanced Learning and the +5% per level to Note XP really helps. Picking up notes is worth a lot of XP to begin with, so maxing this out can really make a difference. Enhanced Scanning is nice enough, highlighting stuff like safe combinations and hidden rooms in RoboCop Vision, and Enhanced Map is invaluable for finding certain collectibles as it adds them to your map.

PSYCHOLOGY is either completely useless or extremely good, depending on your playstyle. If you only care about RoboCop's combat prowess, this does absolutely nothing for you. But if you want to serve the public trust through dialog options, investing points into Psychology is very much worth it. Leveling up Psychology makes skill checks easier to pass (for example, you might be able to pass an Engineering 4 check with only 3 points in Engineering, and of course Psychology has its own checks as well), Enhanced Public Trust doubles the points you earn from... well, serving the public trust, Empathetic Processing highlights the dialog options that make people like you, and Impact reduces the good ending requirements for the major characters. Impact probably isn't necessary when you already have the favorable options highlighted, but I still max out this skill every time because I want those easier skill checks.

------

There we go! That's all the skills in RoboCop: Rogue City, explained in what I hope is a vaguely understandable manner.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 8, 2024

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 1: Breaking News

You give us three minutes and we'll give you the world.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 25, 2024

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
It's a DMorbid VLP!

Sweet!

And great to have ChaosArgate in there!

I'm going to watch this after I'm done with work.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Oh boy, an LP of my personal sleeper favorite of last year. :allears: Funny to think that these developers started with that awful Rambo game a while back. Between this and Terminator Resistance, another stellar 7/10 game (affectionate), they'd improved a lot from that rocky start.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah sweet, I had a blast with the demo when it came out of nowhere to me, but I've been too cheap/busy with other stuff to play the game. It'll be fun to watch instead :popcorn:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

You gonna keep track of all the people you shoot in the dick?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'll buy that for a dollar!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Professor Duck posted:

You gonna keep track of all the people you shoot in the dick?
That's going to happen so often that I'd lose count immediately.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Robocop. One of my favorite all time police heroes.

[shoots rapist in groin] Your move, creep!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Make sure you watch this in 4k to truly appreciate the details that went into RoboCop's lips

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I appreciate that the head of OCP's lines in the intro are subtitled as belonging to "Old Man".

Do you think you might go back and LP their Terminator game at some point?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

malkav11 posted:

I appreciate that the head of OCP's lines in the intro are subtitled as belonging to "Old Man".
Old Man is of course what everyone calls him, so that just makes sense.

quote:

Do you think you might go back and LP their Terminator game at some point?
I haven't actually played that one myself, but we'll see. I like the classic Terminator movies just fine but I'm more of a RoboCop guy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DMorbid posted:

I haven't actually played that one myself, but we'll see. I like the classic Terminator movies just fine but I'm more of a RoboCop guy.

Clearly this is in my wheelhouse, Terminator 1 and 2 are some of my favorite action movies of all time. :v:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

drat, this game looks good as hell. I've had my eye on it since it was announced, but I'm pretty sure that my computer only barely meets the minimum requirements. So thanks for doing this. (Also for shifting that question and answer bit to let the music play.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man I forgot how violent this game was even for normal kills, it's nuts :psyboom:

I don't remember knowing that the developers worked on that Terminator game. I basically ignored it whenever it came out, like much of the franchise post T2, but now I'm more curious if there's something worthwhile there.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't remember knowing that the developers worked on that Terminator game. I basically ignored it whenever it came out, like much of the franchise post T2, but now I'm more curious if there's something worthwhile there.
I'm hardly an expert, but I've seen some Terminator fans say Resistance is the best Terminator-related thing to come out since the second film, even going as far as calling it the real Terminator 3. I could believe that, because Rogue City is probably the best RoboCop-related media since the original film.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Resistance IS the best Terminator-related thing since the second film. It's a good 15-20 hour story campaign with a deep look into the rarely-explored future war.

The Free DLC where you play as a Terminator is rather fun, but the Paid DLC guest-starring Kyle Reese (and voiced by Michael Biehn) is very much a lovingly-crafted answer to some questions raised in the first movie.

Resistance does have some issues, as do all Teyon-developed properties, but the sincere love and joy the developers bring to the franchises of the 1980's is unparalleled.

They just love adding to the world that was formed in the films, and do so with a deep sense of respect for what came before.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A couple of years ago Civvie did a video on Resistance that's a solid watch, but it also does spoil the plot a lot so watch it at your own peril:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVEpyXTIGg

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Yep, that music is still just so perfect. 10/10. Here for the ride.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sel Nar posted:

Resistance IS the best Terminator-related thing since the second film. It's a good 15-20 hour story campaign with a deep look into the rarely-explored future war.

I kind of disagree.

There was an FPS back in the day, Terminator: Future Shock which was really good. They made a sequel, Skynet, which was awful, but the first game was amazing.

I think it was one of the earliest 3D FPS games?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

There was an FPS back in the day, Terminator: Future Shock which was really good. They made a sequel, Skynet, which was awful, but the first game was amazing.

Fun fact: Both of those games were developed by a little-known company called Bethesda Softworks, with someone named Todd Howard as one of the lead designers. I wonder what happened to those guys...

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

But I don't remember a lot of Robocop video games.

Except for Robocop vs Terminator which I played on the Sega Megadrive.

That was good, but I found it so hard.

I think I read a tie-in comic book for it which was super-super dark. Like, how Robocop was captured by time-travelling Terminators and then tied up so that he could become a central processor for Skynet or something like that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

There were lots of RoboCop games for the 8-bit and 16-bit systems, but most of them are nothing to write home about. Ocean Software initially picked up the license for very cheap (something like $20,000) while the film was in production, and they did most of the home versions while Data East handled the arcade games as well as the NES version of the first game, which is what I played as a kid. I wasn't allowed to watch the movie, but I knew RoboCop from cartoons and all that stuff (and I think I saw at least parts of RoboCop 2 and 3 at a friend's house, because some scenes in them seemed really familiar when I actually sat down to watch those films).

As far as games based on the original film go, the Game Boy version is pretty good for what it is and is itself an updated port of the ZX Spectrum sidescroller that did gangbusters in the UK. The Game Boy version is probably best remembered for its rendition of Jonathan Dunn's title theme, which also first appeared on the Spectrum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIKnn-COS4

The Commodore 64 version is a different sidescroller and is mainly known for the fact it was released literally unfinished. Ocean didn't manage to finish all the levels in time for launch, so they just gave the cocaine factory level an impossible time limit so it couldn't be completed. You could beat it by glitching through a wall, but then RoboCop would find himself in glitch hell in the next level.

The RoboCop 2 games are pretty forgettable overall, and so are the RoboCop 3 games except for one, the Amiga version by Digital Image Design. RoboCop 3 on the Amiga is interesting because it is a first-person action game with actual polygon graphics, something not seen often on the Amiga and certainly not in 1991 (the film itself was delayed to 1993 because Orion was busy going bankrupt, so the games beat it to the market). The Amiga game also came with a physical anti-piracy dongle you'd connect to the second joystick port. This was never supposed to stop piracy entirely, just to delay it because most of the sales would be made in the first weeks. Naturally, the game was cracked a week before launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1cryx7TzqM

This was then followed by RoboCop vs. The Terminator for various systems. The Mega Drive/Genesis version is probably the best known one, but it's also notoriously hard. These were based on the comic series by Frank Miller, who of course also wrote the scripts for RoboCop 2 and 3 (which itself was a script draft for RoboCop 2). According to Miller, his scripts were completely butchered, and in the early to mid 00s he made comics based on his old RoboCop 2 script drafts... which were a hundred times worse than the RoboCop 2 and 3 we got. :v:

Also in the early 00s, Titus Interactive (the Superman 64 and Blues Brothers 2000 guys) picked up the RoboCop license and, as was their usual MO, made an absolutely terrible game for the PS2, Xbox, GameCube (Japan only) and PC in 2003. So yeah, RoboCop hasn't had the best luck when it comes to video game adaptations, which is why it was so cool to finally get a good one all these years later.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 21, 2024

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

painedforever posted:

DMorbid posted:

Fun fact: Both of those games were developed by a little-known company called Bethesda Softworks, with someone named Todd Howard as one of the lead designers. I wonder what happened to those guys...

I remember playing the demo for Future Shock - only the demo, and only the first level of the demo, because this was on the family 486, and it literally couldn't handle the second level. It refused to load.

I guess that was in 1995? Oof. :corsair:

As far as I remember (and I'm apparently right), it was the first game to use mouse-look. At the time it was quite difficult to get used to, but even back then I could tell that it (mouse-look) was revolutionary. Certainly better than using Page Up and Page Down to look up and down. :gonk:

Anyway, RoboCop!

I was traumatised by seeing at least some of the first movie (maybe the first couple of movies?) at a friend's place when they were relatively new and I was way too young to be watching them. I haven't seen them as an adult (kind of bad memories there, so... it hasn't been a priority), but if nothing else I've picked up a lot of it through cultural osmosis.

The game looks surprisingly decent for something that didn't receive much fanfare; I'll be interested to see some more of it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Terminator: Resistance is indeed good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

drat, I remember there being on Ytube back in the day a dumb, but surprisingly competent, joke rap which summed up the entirety of the Robocop film, but now I can't seem to find it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is/was also that retelling of it where a bunch of people got to make one scene of it, however they wanted, and then it was spliced together.
My only other memory of that is that whoever handled the crotch shot scene overdid the joke something fierce.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And that's what made it work, just redoing the old joke wouldn't have worked right, it needed to be a joke on the joke, and so that's what they did. Our Robocop Remake, the entire thing is amazing.

Not a family movie, though.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I don't think I saw the entirety of the first movie until fairly recently. Like, I was familiar with it thanks to pop-culture osmosis, but I hadn't watched it all the way through.

Surprisingly, I did watch Robocop 2 when I was... I want to say 10? It was at a friend's house, and we watched it on tape.

I didn't get it, and I really didn't understand much of it either.

I did get Robocop 3 on tape myself a few years later, like when I was a teen. I watched it quite a bit. I know it wasn't very good, but I did kind of enjoy it.

I do remember watching a few episodes of the animated series. It was... I liked the music, and the episodes were... I mean, it was late-80s Saturday morning stuff. It was engaging.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I watched some of a Terminator Resistance playthrough last night, and it looks about as expected. Fun, a bit janky (but not in a way that ruins it), and clearly made with love for the franchise. It's on my interest list now, alongside continuing to watch this one.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the weird part about terminator resistance is that the free-roaming segments are kind of meh, while the corridor shooter segments (especially the final chapter of the game) are fantastic.
usually it's the reverse

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 2: RoboPolice Quest

Before we pursue Soot and his Torch Heads, it's time to do some police work that doesn't involve *quite* as much shooting or as many explosions.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 25, 2024

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Okay, that was hilarious. A discussion on economics by drug-dealers? I dunno, it seems to fit Paul Verhoeven's schtick.

And y'know, the guy talking about Robocop glitching? He isn't wrong, it's just that he's such an rear end in a top hat, you don't want to agree with him.

Any chance of getting screengrabs of the skill-tree and their descriptions?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

Any chance of getting screengrabs of the skill-tree and their descriptions?
I'll explain them in more detail in the videos when they become relevant, but I can provide screengrabs as well at some point.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

painedforever posted:

And y'know, the guy talking about Robocop glitching? He isn't wrong, it's just that he's such an rear end in a top hat, you don't want to agree with him.

So he is right, but it strikes me as a design flaw that Robocop apparently can't self-report issues. Although that might cause problems on its own...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What the hell is a payphone

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man, that was some tonal whiplash in the police station, I was chuckling at the idea of RoboCop dealing with menial complaints but then things went south. I guess that's just how things are in future Detroit. Oh well, time to go turn more people into tomato paste explosions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Leal posted:

Well... it's not quite a payment... and it's not quite a telephone, but man... he-he-he-he-he...! So to answer your question - I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Leal posted:

It's a telephone that pays you money for making calls on it. There's a reason they're not around anymore.