Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

that queue sidequest had quite the downward trajectory in terms of :smithicide:. You've got the first guy who, surely, must understand why his neighbours are pissed off at him, then comes either the dumbest criminal ever or the ballsiest one with turning himself in to collect a reward. But then it all comes crashing down with the concerned mother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oh my gods this loving game. :allears: This writing is so magical. Everyone is stupid but in a brilliant way.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

A "BRIEF" GUIDE TO ROBOCOP'S SKILLS :words:

------

Here's a look at all eight of RoboCop's skill trees. As we can see, each of them has ten levels, with new abilities unlocking at levels 2, 6, and 10. We'll start from the beginning, which is always a good place to start.

COMBAT, as you might expect, affects your damage output. With each levelup, you add +5% damage to all your weapons. This is not something you particularly need early on, and if you're focusing on the Auto-9, there is a much better way to increase its damage output specifically. At level 2, you unlock Shockwave, which works like a flashbang. Pretty solid if you're surrounded by heavily armed enemies and need a breather, but I usually prefer to just shoot them. Reloading Strike reloads all carried weapons when you clobber someone with your robo-punch, which can come in handy but isn't that essential especially if you've upgraded your Auto-9 with the automatic ammo feeder. Enhanced Shockwave is an instakill on nearby enemies, which is obviously pretty nice.

ARMOR increases your damage reduction, again by 5% per level. I don't remember the exact percentages for every skill off the top of my head, but most of them including Combat and Armor are definitely +5% per level, up to a maximum of +50%. RoboCop is already quite hardy so you don't need this in the beginning, but it will come in handy once you reach the second big map (I won't go to specifics just yet, but you'll know when we get there) as that can be a pretty major difficulty spike, especially the latter part of that chapter with some very powerful enemies. Shield reduces all incoming damage by 80% for maybe 5 seconds and has a pretty short cooldown, making it probably the most useful combat-related ability in the game. High Damage Reduction is also helpful when dealing with big boy enemies and mines. Deflect is fun to mess around with, but it's not essential as you do still take some damage from that small caliber fire and the ricochet might hit something you don't want it to (this is only a potential issue in one specific area very late in the game, which I'll point out once we get there).

VITALITY is more health. More health is always good. Fuse Boxes Recovery lets you, well, recover health by connecting to fuse boxes and increases max healing item capacity to 4. Enhanced Fuse Boxes Recovery gives you a full heal from fuse boxes and increases healing item capacity to 5. Auto Regeneration is health regen up to 75% of your max. Pretty self-explanatory, these. Also not super necessary in the early game, but you might as well have as much armor and health as possible at some point. Not just because they're useful, but because you are RoboCop and therefore you're canonically supposed to be tanky as gently caress.

ENGINEERING is one of the more interesting trees. Here, each level increases your "Chip Modificator Bonus" by 5%. This affects the upgrade chips you install into the Auto-9 once you unlock that option. Each chip you add to the Auto-9 PCB has its own percentage bonus, and putting points to Engineering increases those bonuses. This is how you make the Auto-9 obscenely powerful. In terms of abilities, we've got Dash which is what it says on the tin - a quick speed boost that lets you dodge attacks or smash into enemies. Cracking allows you to open any safe without the combination, but since finding the combination always gives you a bit of XP and safes only ever contain crime evidence (unless that has been changed in the recent update, which added some new PCBs and such), this isn't particularly necessary. It also lets you hack enemy turrets, which is fun and useful when you get to do it, but very situational. Enhanced Dash reduces the rather hefty cooldown and actually makes Dash useful for dodging.

FOCUS is mainly about the Slow Motion ability. Bullet time, basically. Pretty handy, especially with the Enhanced Critical Damage for shots to the head, junk and other sensitive bits depending on the enemy type, as well as Enhanced Slow Motion which increases Slow Motion duration whenever you kill an enemy in Slow Motion. I don't use Slow Motion that much, but it's still good to have as an option.

SCANNING extends your RoboCop Vision (which I still prefer to call RoboVision) range to find interactable stuff easier during investigations, but that's not all that exciting. What is exciting is Ricochet. Once you unlock the ability, RoboCop Vision will highlight walls and objects that can be used to bounce bullets at enemies. Not only is this fun, it's also extremely powerful as the ricocheting bullets always seem to score a critical hit or at least deal obscene amounts of damage. Instant Scanner instantly highlights all enemies in RoboCop Vision's FOV, and Ricochet Split makes ricocheting bullets split and hit multiple enemies. :ocelot:

DEDUCTION focuses mainly on the investigation mechanics, but is especially important for its XP bonuses. Rogue City doesn't give you enough XP to max out every skill, but getting the +30% overall bonus from Enhanced Learning and the +5% per level to Note XP really helps. Picking up notes is worth a lot of XP to begin with, so maxing this out can really make a difference. Enhanced Scanning is nice enough, highlighting stuff like safe combinations and hidden rooms in RoboCop Vision, and Enhanced Map is invaluable for finding certain collectibles as it adds them to your map.

PSYCHOLOGY is either completely useless or extremely good, depending on your playstyle. If you only care about RoboCop's combat prowess, this does absolutely nothing for you. But if you want to serve the public trust through dialog options, investing points into Psychology is very much worth it. Leveling up Psychology makes skill checks easier to pass (for example, you might be able to pass an Engineering 4 check with only 3 points in Engineering, and of course Psychology has its own checks as well), Enhanced Public Trust doubles the points you earn from... well, serving the public trust, Empathetic Processing highlights the dialog options that make people like you, and Impact reduces the good ending requirements for the major characters. Impact probably isn't necessary when you already have the favorable options highlighted, but I still max out this skill every time because I want those easier skill checks.

------

There we go! That's all the skills in RoboCop: Rogue City, explained in what I hope is a vaguely understandable manner. I've also added this to the second post of the thread.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 24, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DMorbid posted:

What is exciting is Ricochet. Once you unlock the ability, RoboCop Vision will highlight walls and objects that can be used to bounce bullets at enemies. Not only is this fun, it's also extremely powerful as the ricocheting bullets always seem to score a critical hit or at least deal obscene amounts of damage. Instant Scanner instantly highlights all enemies in RoboCop Vision's FOV, and Ricochet Split makes ricocheting bullets split and hit multiple enemies. :ocelot:

That's great. Is it pretty automated, or do you have to spend extra time aiming for ricochet angles?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's great. Is it pretty automated, or do you have to spend extra time aiming for ricochet angles?

You aim and it shows little lines indicating you can hit a mans with the ricochet.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So, is it possible to leave the side-missions and note collection at the station until after you've upgraded to maximize XP?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

So, is it possible to leave the side-missions and note collection at the station until after you've upgraded to maximize XP?
The sidequests and notes are chapter-specific, so the ones we saw in this video won't be there when we return to the station in later chapters. But yeah, if I really wanted to minmax, I could've ignored all of the notes until I put a couple of points in Deduction. Bonus quest XP would of course require max Deduction.

The quests themselves (and other side objectives like finding crime evidence) also don't give very much XP when you actually complete them, but instead you get a big XP boost in your next evaluation.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Aces High posted:

that queue sidequest had quite the downward trajectory in terms of :smithicide:. You've got the first guy who, surely, must understand why his neighbours are pissed off at him, then comes either the dumbest criminal ever or the ballsiest one with turning himself in to collect a reward. But then it all comes crashing down with the concerned mother

Even the second guy in the queue is pretty grim. It starts out seeming like comedic relief, what with trying to claim the reward on his own head. But then you realise that really he just wants to turn himself in, because life for many in this modern American city is so bad that it would be preferable to be in prison. Pretty bleak.

It's echoed in the side-quest with Mr "drug dealer but really my true passion is doing laundry". (:psyduck:) He described going to prison as being like "winning the lottery".

Political commentary! That's good!

DMorbid posted:

Empathetic Processing highlights the dialog options that make people like you

I need this one IRL.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Antistar01 posted:

Even the second guy in the queue is pretty grim. It starts out seeming like comedic relief, what with trying to claim the reward on his own head. But then you realise that really he just wants to turn himself in, because life for many in this modern American city is so bad that it would be preferable to be in prison. Pretty bleak.

It's echoed in the side-quest with Mr "drug dealer but really my true passion is doing laundry". (:psyduck:) He described going to prison as being like "winning the lottery".

Political commentary! That's good!

It reminded me of a gag in early Judge Dredd. (Dredd was, purportedly, an openly-admitted influence on the tone they were going for with RoboCop.) Like real early. Way back, Mega-City One is (unintentionally?) portrayed as something approaching a post-scarcity utopia despite also being post-apocalyptic - and the crime level seems to be because people just can't deal with life not being lovely. Robots do almost all labor and people compete viciously for the few jobs available because they're maddeningly bored by endless leisure. So when some dude I think kills or tries to kill his rival for a job, Dredd sending him to prison doing hard labor is received with cheers and onlookers saying something like, "Oh, never let it be said Dredd can't show mercy!"

Like just thinking about the turnaround on that and how that ridiculous gag became another kind of ridiculous gag but with a massively different tenor.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

disposablewords posted:

It reminded me of a gag in early Judge Dredd. (Dredd was, purportedly, an openly-admitted influence on the tone they were going for with RoboCop.) Like real early. Way back, Mega-City One is (unintentionally?) portrayed as something approaching a post-scarcity utopia despite also being post-apocalyptic - and the crime level seems to be because people just can't deal with life not being lovely. Robots do almost all labor and people compete viciously for the few jobs available because they're maddeningly bored by endless leisure. So when some dude I think kills or tries to kill his rival for a job, Dredd sending him to prison doing hard labor is received with cheers and onlookers saying something like, "Oh, never let it be said Dredd can't show mercy!"

Like just thinking about the turnaround on that and how that ridiculous gag became another kind of ridiculous gag but with a massively different tenor.

Hey, beats the isocubes at least, right?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 3: Hard Boiled

Today, we're playing RoboDetective and solving a rather grisly case! I think this quest could've used a bit more work, but at least it's something different.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

:awesomelon: Look Watson, a clue!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The understudy sounds the way he does to let you know he is too much of a wiener to commit murder

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

While I still don't think this was the best-written murder mystery ever, I did finally notice the evidence did show a fingerprint match for the killer so there was a bit more to go on than just the video footage.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I somehow missed that it was actually Peter Weller doing the voice, no wonder he sounds so good. There's something magical about him doing the goofier RoboCop lines like "to save yourself some terrible, clean up on the double" :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I like these investigations far far more than the Arkham Investigations they're based off of because they are more involved and have actual character in them (even if they are 80's pastiches).

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The writing for this game is amazing. It's very, very 80's.

And silly.

But also incredibly bleak because the setting of RoboCop is a genuine hellscape.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Shei-kun posted:

The writing for this game is amazing. It's very, very 80's.

And silly.

But also incredibly bleak because the setting of RoboCop is a genuine hellscape.

Yeah, the devs understood the assignment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah, the devs understood the assignment.

They did good with what limitations they had.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

I am now inspired to play the robert cop game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I think I might have fixed the occasional minor frame stutters I was complaining about earlier. I just ran my usual benchmark areas with DLSS Performance instead of Quality, which in my previous tests didn't really help all that much to alleviate the issue, but this time doing that actually gave me a flat 60 fps (aside from the occasional Unreal Engine traversal stutters, which nobody except Epic can fix) with perfect frame pacing. Maybe last month's patch helped with optimization or maybe I just got lucky this time, who knows.

The drops, when they did happen on my previous recordings, never really seemed to have much to do with what was actually happening onscreen or if I was running Quality or Performance or Balanced DLSS. I could blow up a bunch of enemies without any kind of drop, sometimes doing so would cause a frame drop, or the game would lurch to 55 fps without me doing anything to cause that. So, something is/was a bit janky under the hood, and the game is quite demanding in general. To hopefully ensure a smoother experience, I'm gonna run the rest of the game (from Episode 10 onward, as I managed to record a decent backlog earlier) in DLSS Performance mode, which of course drops the internal resolution a bit but the difference isn't that noticeable once DLSS does its thing. All the graphics settings will still be maxed out, of course.

edit: There is one massive fight later on where the performance genuinely tanks so hard I'd probably have to drop to DLSS Performance regardless :v:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 26, 2024

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh hey it's 40% off on steam right now.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

NewMars posted:

Oh hey it's 40% off on steam right now.
€30 (or €35 if you buy the Alex Murphy Pack, which comes with the OCP shotgun and some cosmetics) is an absolute steal.

Anyway, I ran more benchmarks in my usual spots and it turns out the stutters are still happening. :shepface: I'm still gonna use DLSS Balanced or Performance from here on, though, because Quality is more likely to have actual frame drops and/or bigger stutters.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

That investigation is kinda fun. For some reason, it feels very much like the Deus Ex game, the good one? Not the original good one, the last one (or two).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Watching this LP made me go back and rewatch RoboCop again. It remains a timeless masterpiece, a true work of art.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Volmarias posted:

Watching this LP made me go back and rewatch RoboCop again. It remains a timeless masterpiece, a true work of art.

All of Paul Verhoeven's movies that I've seen have been very unique. I didn't like them when I first watched them as a kid, but after I've grown up a bit, and forced myself to watch them again.

I've watched:
Robocop
Total Recall
Starship Troopers
Hollow Man

The last feels a lot more like a standard Hollywood movie than the others. The rest are very unique. They hit me a lot like Nolan's movies have done.

Robocop and Total Recall have both had remakes, but I think that they both misunderstood the original stories and focussed too much on fixing the special effects.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The Robocop remake movie isn't as good as the original, and definitely goes more for dystopic horror rather than dark comedy, but I still liked it a fair bit on its own merits. I intend on adding both of them to my tiny physical movie collection. Y'know, someday.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Volmarias posted:

:same:

Definitely an all timer, I was happy to find out it's on amazon prime. The remake is too, might as well buy add that to my watch list for a dollar no dollars

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Wait, total recall is also Verhoeven's???

Holy poo poo, I'm gonna have to rewatch that with the benefit of hindsight, instead of just waiting for the lady with the third boob

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I love total recall, but it made inception less fun to watch because they parallel so hard and total recall doesn't feel all hoity toity about the nonsense. Just look at the endings -

Inception: Was it all a dream? Is he still dreaming? Oooooh the top wobbled and you'll never know because we immediately cut the scene.

Total Recal:
Annie - but what if all of this was just a dream
The movie - who cares? Shut up, kiss the girl, and enjoy it either way.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Wait, total recall is also Verhoeven's???
Yeah, he and his crew (cinematographer, editor, etc.) went to do that instead of RoboCop 2. I don't think Verhoeven had anything against doing RoboCop 2, but he was already committed to Total Recall and obviously couldn't do two major productions at once.

And oh boy, does the lack of Verhoeven and his crew show in RoboCop 2. Of course, there's only so much anyone can do when the film seems to have three different scripts fighting each other and none of them is very good, but I was really taken aback by how bland RoboCop 2 looked (and sounded, since they didn't get Basil Poledouris back either) when I watched it. The effects team still brought their A-game, at least.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh yeah also terminator: resistance is on sale as well it's like 15 dollars.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Not an action movie but Basic Instinct (You know, the one where Sharon Stone isn't wearing underwear) was also him.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

DMorbid posted:

Yeah, he and his crew (cinematographer, editor, etc.) went to do that instead of RoboCop 2. I don't think Verhoeven had anything against doing RoboCop 2, but he was already committed to Total Recall and obviously couldn't do two major productions at once.

And oh boy, does the lack of Verhoeven and his crew show in RoboCop 2. Of course, there's only so much anyone can do when the film seems to have three different scripts fighting each other and none of them is very good, but I was really taken aback by how bland RoboCop 2 looked (and sounded, since they didn't get Basil Poledouris back either) when I watched it. The effects team still brought their A-game, at least.

A lot of good movies lose something in sequels. Like, where the hell do you go from here? If it ends happily ever after, are you going to ruin everyone's lives so that they can have a new relationship? If it ends ambiguously, wasn't that the point of it?

At the end of Inception, my wife was all like, "Oh, they should do a sequel," and I'm like, "Really?" We don't need to know if the hero's still in a dream at the end, because he no longer cares if he is.

Robocop isn't about Robocop at all. I mean, yes, in a way, but it's about the world he's in, right, where corporations run rampant, and hospitals and police precincts are run like businesses and suits complain about them not being "profitable" and OMG we're living in that world.

This, by the way, is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31rrZeTH9HI

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I was just thinking about the ED 209 demonstration scene, and I can't remember, why was ED loaded with live ammo for a demo for board members?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What’s weird about Robocop 2 is that they make The Old Man a villain when he’s a neutral force in the first, one whom the executives are fighting over access to rather than being a character actively involved in making the plot.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

azren posted:

I was just thinking about the ED 209 demonstration scene, and I can't remember, why was ED loaded with live ammo for a demo for board members?

No one had heard the phrase "never do a live tech demo" before

That or the guy was on Dick's poo poo list, and it was meant to drive home that he was not to be hosed with

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The most parsimonious answer is probably they're idiot corporate suits and never considered consequences happening to one of their own. This actually applies pretty broadly in real life too, I've found.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

azren posted:

Why was there a loaded gun in the boardroom?

I think it's just a very macho, toxic environment that they're portraying. Like the huge gun (Cobra something-something?). Or the SUX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

White Coke posted:

What’s weird about Robocop 2 is that they make The Old Man a villain when he’s a neutral force in the first, one whom the executives are fighting over access to rather than being a character actively involved in making the plot.

The old man is absolutely a villain in robocop 1. He is the man in charge of OCP and all the horrendous shot they're doing is done with his rubber stamp. The deliberate underfunding of the cops and sending them into dangerous situations with no backup in sight is still traded back to him. He's painted sympatheticly the same way Hammond is in Jurassic Park(movie), and in the same way he's still the bad guy at the root of it all even if the conflict is driven by dick Jones/Nedry going rogue.

The cops repeatedly talking about striking is a plot beat for a reason.