Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Volmarias posted:

That or the guy was on Dick's poo poo list, and it was meant to drive home that he was not to be hosed with

I thought this is what it actually was, get rid of someone he didn't like and pass it off as an accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

He'll, robocop ain't exactly a good guy either. He's a police brutality machine that defaults to using excessive force. When he apprehend the ex mayor by grabbing him through the wall, robocop then flung the captured man out a window to his death.

The movie is designed to make you cheer for robo as he walks around as the cyborg embodiment of excessive force.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well sure, how can you not cheer for him when this music is playing as he goes about his duty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1_38445vA

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

FoolyCharged posted:

He'll, robocop ain't exactly a good guy either. He's a police brutality machine that defaults to using excessive force. When he apprehend the ex mayor by grabbing him through the wall, robocop then flung the captured man out a window to his death.

The movie is designed to make you cheer for robo as he walks around as the cyborg embodiment of excessive force.

I object to this flagrant misrepresentation!

He punched the apprehended individual out of the window to his death.

But yeah, the Old Man is absolutely a villain, and Robocop is a tool of the villains.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

The old man is absolutely a villain in robocop 1. He is the man in charge of OCP and all the horrendous shot they're doing is done with his rubber stamp. The deliberate underfunding of the cops and sending them into dangerous situations with no backup in sight is still traded back to him. He's painted sympatheticly the same way Hammond is in Jurassic Park(movie), and in the same way he's still the bad guy at the root of it all even if the conflict is driven by dick Jones/Nedry going rogue.

The cops repeatedly talking about striking is a plot beat for a reason.

The comparison to Hammond is apt, but I guess the difference is that in the first film The Old Man came across as more of a plot device than a character to me. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen the movie but what I remember is different factions in OCP competing for his favor and that the executives are the ones coming up with the ideas like trying to get cops killed so they have test subjects, while in the second film he takes an active role in having OCP fighting Robocop. Broadly The Old Man is responsible for the exploitation of Detroit but within the plot of Robocop he’s a “good guy” or at least a neutral figure, inasmuch as Robocop himself can be considered a good guy too.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

In the first he's the permissive blind and innocent hand of the hierarchy of superbosses who don't care that your bosses cut corners and fund a local militia to shoot the striking workers at the coke bottle factory and make you dispose of waste products for cheap by laying a flexible plastic pipe all the way to the lake, or foreclose on homes the company has no claims on, because he doesn't care to, because he doesn't need to care to and because he doesn't want to. Note his warmth and kindness after an exec gets ventilated in his conference room, he talks about the delays and costs in interests payments alone. Ever mob boss tries to have very clean hands and so does he, the bad poo poo is done by lackeys he can drop at any moment for any reason, in particular saying they've gone out of control after pushing them to get impossible results.

It's that Verhoven power, the prediction of the future, much like Starship Troopers is the prophecy for the 21st century in reaction to 9/11 and the Russians and Chinese existing, Robocop predicts the corporate executive.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

SIGSEGV posted:

In the first he's the permissive blind and innocent hand of the hierarchy of superbosses who don't care that your bosses cut corners and fund a local militia to shoot the striking workers at the coke bottle factory and make you dispose of waste products for cheap by laying a flexible plastic pipe all the way to the lake, or foreclose on homes the company has no claims on, because he doesn't care to, because he doesn't need to care to and because he doesn't want to. Note his warmth and kindness after an exec gets ventilated in his conference room, he talks about the delays and costs in interests payments alone. Ever mob boss tries to have very clean hands and so does he, the bad poo poo is done by lackeys he can drop at any moment for any reason, in particular saying they've gone out of control after pushing them to get impossible results.

It's that Verhoven power, the prediction of the future, much like Starship Troopers is the prophecy for the 21st century in reaction to 9/11 and the Russians and Chinese existing, Robocop predicts the corporate executive.

The Old Man is evil, but in that overarching, impersonal way that stems from greed rather than personal malice against any individual.

He is responsible for everything that's happening, but it's more like God, y'know? He's made it so that there's this culture of backstabbing and cutting corners and... OCP is like Boeing, except that there's even less accountability.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Maybe it’s because he’s only referred to by a nickname but I think of TOM more as a plot device than a character. Someone has to be in authority over Jones and Morton so they can make the plot happen through their competing projects. He also protects the continued existence of RoboCop because he could just have him shut down and disassembled so even if it’s only from ignorance and apathy RoboCop’s survival is thanks to him. I haven’t seen the third movie but in the game RoboCop is still said to be OCP property. It’s damning with faint praise to say so but he’s still responsible for Murphy’s life.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the thing that always tips me off about The Old Man is the scene he is introduced is when he talks about how his big vision is building a gated community, writ large. He then complains about how setbacks are preventing that from happening, but these setbacks are things like a potential strike from the police department (weirdly enough, one of the few instances where cops going on strike is actually ok, since the DPD rank and file may as well be coal miners as far as OCP is concerned) and the top project to deal with law enforcement is just OCP-programmed robots. RoboCop may have more brain power and a modicum of freewill compared to the ED-209, but OCP still pulls the strings, and The Old Man still has ultimate power over what they are allowed to do.

I didn't watch RoboCop until I was almost an adult, but even then I knew that if you were affiliated with OCP at all, you weren't a good person.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 4: 8.2 MPG

An American Tradition.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The people who got their cars boosted at that shop are gonna be pissed when the police returns the smouldering wrecks.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I love that incidental conversation at the end of the video.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's odd how in Starship Troopers the most sympathetic group might be the Bugs because the case can be made that they're just defending themselves from human invasion in the first movie. In the second they're pretty unambiguously evil since the parasite controlled humans talk about how they're going to try and take over all of humanity because of generic villain reasons, something to do with humans wanting and needing to be controlled if I remember correctly. Meanwhile in RoboCop the gangs are clearly bad, OCP is varying degrees of directly plot relevant evil to broader context evil, and the cops just want to be paid what they think they deserve to violently enforce the status quo that benefits OCP. There's the citizens of Detroit but they aren't fleshed out characters, just victims to be saved or not saved in time. Their goodness comes from their powerlessness but that powerlessness is what enables RoboCop to use excessive violence to save them so they're narrative props that provide RoboCop the circumstances to make him an action hero.

The climactic action set piece against the Boddicker gang, as does the confrontation with Jones (where TOM is, like the people of Detroit, taken hostage by an armed criminal), takes place isolated from the citizenry of Detroit. Because they aren't that important to the story of the titular cyborg Christ-analogue, which about him reclaiming his stolen humanity. As deliberately cheesy as TOM's congratulations of RoboCop he is a positive factor in Murphy's struggle to regain his humanity. He can't overthrow the system any more than he can stop being RoboCop but he can be Alex Murphy again too. The choices presented by the film are either a crime-ridden Detroit where people are exploited by OCP and criminals or Delta City where they're exploited by OCP and maybe criminals. At least in (the first) Starship Troopers there's the possibility that humanity could cease its aggression against the bugs but based on what's presented in the film that wouldn't overthrow the Federation. Murphy and Rico are forced by their societies to struggle to hold onto their humanity and in that one moment of human connection, as fleeting and shallow as it was, TOM acknowledges Murphy's humanity. As Kuato said

Kuato posted:

You are what you do. A man is defined by his actions, not his memory.

White Coke fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 4, 2024

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

Samovar posted:

drat, I remember there being on Ytube back in the day a dumb, but surprisingly competent, joke rap which summed up the entirety of the Robocop film, but now I can't seem to find it.

Is this the one you're thinking of?

https://youtu.be/wUnMF7dV86k?si=iUZ112VKk3N5okdH

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yes! Thank you! God, it's so silly.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 5: The Search for Soot

Now that we're done with the side content for this chapter, let's finally head to that arcade and find out what the owner knows about Soot.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I really love the thumbs up RoboCop gives there at the end.

It's so corny in the best way.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

For some reason, I thought the Heart Raffle for the medical operation of your choice was in the film, but I think I got it mixed up with the Family Heart Center commercial and the ad for the raffle is actually in the game. Oops.

I said Teyon didn't quite nail the satire, but since I seem to have confused one of their in-game commercials with one that was in the original movie, I think they might have done a better job than I thought.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Wait, did the DCPD get their pistols for Taurus if they go off when dropped? :v:

Also, for some reason the way the gangers talk reminds me of Vivian from Young Ones a little. Could be wrong of course.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Wait, did the DCPD get their pistols for Taurus if they go off when dropped? :v:

Also, for some reason the way the gangers talk reminds me of Vivian from Young Ones a little. Could be wrong of course.

Vyvyan, you mean.

And that's an actual valid spelling, believe it or not.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I'll believe you on that and I may have seen it in the past and forgotten about it. Been a while since I ever saw the series in the first place.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 6: Firestarter

As a wise man once said, "I'm the self-inflicted mind detonator, yeah."

edit: I just noticed the YouTube link has WCW at the end, which is a delightful coincidence and gives me a good excuse to post this:

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1766272032965013537

e2: actually publishing the video is also helpful :pseudo:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 9, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I see the "poo poo just got real" button has been pressed.

Also, it's kinda funny that the HMG is just an M60 with an M2 barrel. Even more so when firing it sounds like an M60, and I think it sounds heavier when the AI is using it on the stand too.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Just for reference, you don't have to throw things at Soot in the "Make him Confess" phase of the game.

Instead, you just have to destroy his poo poo. Chairs and guitars (So, you know, the throwables), which can be demolished by flinging them about or just shooting them.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Didn't expect to see Hans Gruber here

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

For those who might not remember every detail about RoboCop lore, Emil Antonowsky was the guy who got turned into the Incredible Melting Man in the film.

e: Since I got the DLC in the recent sale, I'm going to use the RoboCop 2 skin (that means RoboCop as he appears in RoboCop 2, not literally RoboCop 2) for the next recording session so do not be alarmed when RoboCop is suddenly blue in episode 11. There are some other cosmetics I may or may not get around to showing off at some point as well.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 10, 2024

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I'm wondering if Hans gets Troma-tized as well

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PICKLEZZzss :awesomelon:

I still can't get over Peter Weller doing the voicework, it's so good.

Volmarias posted:

I was gonna say the same thing. Alan Rickman as a RoboCop villain just seems perfect, I wish it could've happened. And yeah, holy poo poo at that ending :suspense:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 7: Vultures

As we wait for Lewis to recover (of course, she couldn't die here because that would cause a time paradox), we need get some leads on Wendell Antonowsky and find out what happened to the missing Officer Briggs. So, we head to the heart of the Street Vultures biker gang's turf in a very familiar location...

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Incredibly minor detail to note is that the Steel Vultures have switched up from AK47's to FN FAL's.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Olivia Blanche is that kid who sat weird on everything because it felt better but grown up. Either she's amazingly flexible or her spine sounds like a washing machine full of gravel.

I am amused that they don't animate half the dialogue things in this game, cut, sound effect, it's good enough, gotta keep the budget down and the lights on, an attitude I can respect.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I appreciated the Congo joke re. Kurz.

But I would say it would have been funnier if the OCP suit mistakingly called Ulysses Odysseus.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Samovar posted:

I appreciated the Congo joke re. Kurz.
I'm glad I have Argate on board to make the good jokes. :v:

I completely missed that one until I was editing the video.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This is definitely giving me some very new-deus-ex vibes, in a good way. Although it doesn't seem like there are that many combat options other than "shoot everything before you lose too many hit points" with varying levels of efficiency, but I guess we are still in the earlier parts of the game?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

Although it doesn't seem like there are that many combat options other than "shoot everything before you lose too many hit points" with varying levels of efficiency, but I guess we are still in the earlier parts of the game?
We'll be unlocking more combat abilities and meeting new enemy types shortly, and they'll make the combat a bit more varied for sure. Obviously, it's never going to be Deus Ex or anything and the combat can certainly get repetitive eventually, but the campaign is short enough that I don't find it a huge issue.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 8: Flashbacks

What a strange coincidence, finding the important clue here of all places.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I stand corrected, the new assault rifle is an H&K G3 than an FAL. The foregrip and rounded front irons gives it away. Even if does come with a 30 round magazine oddly enough.

Also those look like anti-tank mines. Which makes sense, considering who they are dealing with. But definitely not something a regular person should be able to trigger.
Unless they bought them second hand.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 15, 2024

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cooked Auto posted:

I stand corrected, the new assault rifle is an H&K G3 than an FAL. The foregrip and rounded front irons gives it away. Even if does come with a 30 round magazine oddly enough.

Also those look like anti-tank mines. Which makes sense, considering who they are dealing with. But definitely not something a regular person should be able to trigger.
Unless they bought them second hand.

They're comically large, undisguised land mines that explode if you shoot them. The only surprising thing is that there isn't someone trying to throw them at you, or reinvent the soviet experiment of having dogs with land mines strapped to them.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

DMorbid posted:

We'll be unlocking more combat abilities and meeting new enemy types shortly, and they'll make the combat a bit more varied for sure. Obviously, it's never going to be Deus Ex or anything and the combat can certainly get repetitive eventually, but the campaign is short enough that I don't find it a huge issue.

To be fair to this game, i leant hard into being a stealthy assassin in deus ex so also had a very uniform combat experience, just of a different type. In the same way this looks like a very fun game to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Crazy Achmed posted:

To be fair to this game, i leant hard into being a stealthy assassin in deus ex so also had a very uniform combat experience, just of a different type. In the same way this looks like a very fun game to play.

"I promise I won't do a stealth archer build this time" - me, before doing a stealth archer build in any rpg