Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Volmarias posted:

They're comically large, undisguised land mines that explode if you shoot them. The only surprising thing is that there isn't someone trying to throw them at you, or reinvent the soviet experiment of having dogs with land mines strapped to them.

But for the ones on the crates in the quarry, you can pick them up and throw them at people, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Watching RoboCop pick up all this evidence gives me the image of him stomping around, shooting bad guys with stolen purses full of stolen wallets and jewelry slung over his shoulder!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zaroff posted:

Watching RoboCop pick up all this evidence gives me the image of him stomping around, shooting bad guys with stolen purses full of stolen wallets and jewelry slung over his shoulder!

pre:
NEXT TIME YOU WANT TO    DRESS    FOR    SUCCESS, I WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH HANDCUFFS TO ACCESSORIZE, CREEP!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I am glad Doc is still doing a great job on this LP. Otherwise there would be… trouble.

That’s a Robocop movie quote. ;)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Episode 9: 20 Seconds to Comply

[FLASHING LIGHTS WARNING: 28:03 - 28:10 in the video]

Oh, hey, they sent an ED-209 to help us. I'm sure this will go well!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

You sure this isn't a fallout 4 mod?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Leal posted:

You sure this isn't a fallout 4 mod?

Wrong kind of nuke

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I can't believe Todd Howard invented rocks and green HUDs

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Whatever the circular inspiration between Fallout and Robocop, I just can't get enough of that HUD. I think it was the first thing that made me think oh, maybe this is actually good? back when I played the demo.

e: excellent timing on the "character flaw" joke, which I would not have been able to appreciate up until finally playing the first MGS a few weeks ago :ocelot:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 20, 2024

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
This LP inspired me to rewatch Robocop 1 and 2 which is good.
Then I decided to watch 3 which was bad.
Then the remake because I like punishing myself.

Thanks for the entertainment!

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Morand posted:

This LP inspired me to rewatch Robocop 1 and 2 which is good.
Then I decided to watch 3 which was bad.
Then the remake because I like punishing myself.

Thanks for the entertainment!

Next step is the live action AND cartoon series :)

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Chronische posted:

Next step is the live action AND cartoon series :)

I have a vague, distant memory of what I'm pretty sure is an episode of the live-action series, where some scummy official targets a woman in poverty to get her kicked off of welfare by revealing she's also working an absolutely miserably-paying job under the table. I don't remember why she was targeted, like I have an impression she was also an agitator or something who took the job because she desperately needed to feed her kid, but that might just be as much confabulation as actual memory. And it's so petty and mundanely evil, and I'd see the same attitude in the way a lot of people talk about such things in the real world, that it really stuck with me going forward.

RoboCop the live-action TV series radicalized me. Man, I didn't even have the proper satire of the 80s bullshit of the movie to go on.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I was radicalized by welfare too. I had to do a report on it my senior high school year. Group project, five of us. One defined the issue, one wrote up the history (me), one laid out pros of it, one laid out cons, one presented a reform strategy. I remember thinking “well, if people need this, good that it’s available”, then hearing my Republican grandfather ranting about how people abuse it. I was thinking “well, surely there’s more people on welfare because of necessity than abuse, right?” For the record, my grandfather taught me a serious work ethic and I’m grateful for it, but you think he’d empathize with the availability of welfare having raised six kids in a small town. [shrug]

I don’t remember the reform strategy we laid out.

I watched the 80s Robocop cartoon growing up but never the live action series. I remember the Big Bad was an OCP scientist with ED-260 robots (more articulate than ED-209 and sentient enough to have a grudge against Robocop but otherwise unimproved) and a gang of criminals with high tech weapons called the Vandals. They packed a flame thrower, chainsaw, shock gloves, earthquake creating boots, and a sound cannon if I recall correctly. The show came on Saturday morning in an hour block with Spider-Man, X-Men, and Dino-Riders. It got me into Robocop and the films cemented my interest when I saw them later. I agree the third one wasn’t great but I’ve seen worse.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
There was a live action series? Wikipedia says it isn’t in the same continuity as the film sequels, but has anyone noticed any references in the game?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

There are two live action RoboCop series.

The first one, just called RoboCop, ran for one season in 1994. It was aimed at a younger audience (the Wikipedia article claims it's similar in tone to RoboCop 3, but that's not really accurate because RoboCop 3 still has some bloody violence and RoboCop shoots to kill, neither of which is the case on this show) but does retain some of the satirical elements from the movies. Due to rights issues, the supporting cast had to be changed to be legally distinct so all the supporting characters have different names. The show certainly suffers from its low budget and kid-friendly approach, but it's not too bad for what it is. Richard Eden does a decent job as RoboCop as well.

In 2001, a miniseries called RoboCop: Prime Directives ran for four episodes. This one is darker and more violent and takes place ten years after the first movie, pretty much ignoring both sequels but not directly contradicting their events. I haven't seen this one, but most who have seen it seem to agree it's not very good. I believe this was also when the RoboCop suit really had to be chopped up to accommodate Page Fletcher, which quite annoyed Rob Bottin.

I don't think Rogue City references anything beyond the original three films.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Blah, Ed's voice in the game isn't as stupidly intimidating as it is in the movies.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Samovar posted:

Blah, Ed's voice in the game isn't as stupidly intimidating as it is in the movies.

Yeah, the growl just sounded weird and out of place here, instead of menacing. You need a cough drop, guy?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

They seem to have recorded all the music and sound effects in-house, which I assume is because they didn't have the rights to use the original recordings from the movies. This is why, for example, the Auto-9 doesn't sound quite the same as it does in the films.

There are mods to replace various sounds with their movie counterparts (I experimented with the Auto-9 movie sound mod but as iconic as that is, it's also a rather sharp sound that just isn't very pleasant to listen to for an entire playthrough) but nobody seems to have replaced ED-209's audio yet.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10: Payday

As we go over what we've learned about Wendell's plan, the Vultures remind us they're still out there by hitting the OCP Bank, and so we head on over in pursuit of Spike.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
The one problem with the challenge mission is that is just highlights the sheer numbers of enemies that you gun down in the mission. Over 100 between you, SWAT and the ED-209's.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

*I don't think so. I'm a vulture. I need my space." Buddy just admit that you have commitment issues

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Oh you sweet, summer child. posted:

it's uhh... really dire that all these people are just laid up in the hallways.

Nobody tell him :smith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

Nobody tell him :smith:

Don't worry, in this universe all the nurses get are "heroes work here!!!" signs instead of responsible staffing ratios too.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

DMorbid posted:

Episode 10: Payday

As we go over what we've learned about Wendell's plan, the Vultures remind us they're still out there by hitting the OCP Bank, and so we head on over in pursuit of Spike.

The scene transitions in the briefing room were really janky! And what was going on with that one cop's hand?

"The New Guy" is still a dumb name. The movie wasn't bad, but the name is dumb.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

painedforever posted:

The scene transitions in the briefing room were really janky! And what was going on with that one cop's hand?

"The New Guy" is still a dumb name. The movie wasn't bad, but the name is dumb.

We've got the guy's name anyway, don't we? Seems like they should just shift to using it.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think that they do a couple of times. But even in the start.

"Hey, New Guy!"

You'd think a bunch of punks hopped up on drugs could come up with something a bit more snappy. Or the news media. Or someone.

Hey, what's the New Guy bringing to the party again? Is it money? Why's everyone trying to impress him, and not trying to bump him off?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

His lesson for soot is "don't gently caress with the money" so thats exactly what I think he brings.

And everyone calls him the new guy because that's what aforementioned idiot named him while trying to get his attention. I'm pretty sure soot didn't know his name at that point, just that he existed and wanted to do nebulous crime.

Now, why they kept calling him that after he revealed himself and gave his proper name, I have no answer.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Now, why they kept calling him that after he revealed himself and gave his proper name, I have no answer.
"The New Guy" is easier to say than "Wendell Antonowsky", I guess. :v:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Gotta be some deliberate contrast to the "Old Man" going on with it.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
OCP spent a lot of money trademarking "The New Guy" so they are just trying to get their monies worth.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

disposablewords posted:

Gotta be some deliberate contrast to the "Old Man" going on with it.

This one looks like the most likely answer. But "Old Man" has a certain something-something, y'know?

DMorbid posted:

"The New Guy" is easier to say than "Wendell Antonowsky", I guess. :v:

True. Being called "The New Guy" is better than getting that name bowlderized to "Wendy Automobile".

Da_Higg posted:

OCP spent a lot of money trademarking "The New Guy" so they are just trying to get their monies worth.

Not surprised that OCP owns MTV.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 11: The Old Man

Looks like the Old Man is trying to be nice to RoboCop again and generally acting more like his... well, old self. Still, we should be careful because you never know what he's got up his sleeve.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The lady was also part of the apartment 6/9 mixup the slumlord didn't care to fix

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Get the feeling you were probably intended to find the maintenance thing after the mission itself, just to explain things.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

The lady was also part of the apartment 6/9 mixup the slumlord didn't care to fix
Yeah, they grabbed the guy from apartment 6 and took him to the basement, then shot him when they realized they had the wrong person.

I don't think I ever looked at the old lady's apartment number until Argate mentioned it (and notes are often just flavor text so I didn't connect it to the actual quest at all), and I noticed it was 9 literally as I was saying I didn't think it was 9. :pseudo:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

This isn't the original actor for The Old Man is it?

The voice sounds fake, and what is with that accent?

Is there a special game over screen if you die at any point? We came really close in the previous video.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Is the cat in the apartment? It would be hilarious if it was cleaning itself on a living room table surrounded by all the carnage.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

This isn't the original actor for The Old Man is it?
Dan O'Herlihy died in 2005, so probably not.

They maybe could've found someone that sounded a bit more like him, but oh well.

edit: As for what happens when you get a game over, it's nothing too exciting. The screen just goes static and that's about it. I'll show it off if I die during the playthrough.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 31, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DMorbid posted:

Dan O'Herlihy died in 2005, so probably not.

They maybe could've found someone that sounded a bit more like him, but oh well.

It's kinda the same with the ED-209.

That scene with the kid and doing the robot was extremely charming. It's moments like that which can really help push a game over the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I wonder how much of Stonehenge is going to be used to make Delta City.