Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This is definitely giving me some very new-deus-ex vibes, in a good way. Although it doesn't seem like there are that many combat options other than "shoot everything before you lose too many hit points" with varying levels of efficiency, but I guess we are still in the earlier parts of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

DMorbid posted:

We'll be unlocking more combat abilities and meeting new enemy types shortly, and they'll make the combat a bit more varied for sure. Obviously, it's never going to be Deus Ex or anything and the combat can certainly get repetitive eventually, but the campaign is short enough that I don't find it a huge issue.

To be fair to this game, i leant hard into being a stealthy assassin in deus ex so also had a very uniform combat experience, just of a different type. In the same way this looks like a very fun game to play.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

While this seems pretty solid in terms of gameplay and videogame plot standards, what I'm genuinely enjoying most here is the little side pieces showing Robocop just doing ordinary police stuff day to day, when he isn't dealing with a major motion picture-worthy crisis. Aside from being charming, it makes me a little nostalgic for the old police quest games and their emphasis on being procedural. Of course this isn't trying to be particularly accurate or educational, but looking into details of day-to-day policework and how robocop wold deal with the mundanity is a great foil to the otherwise heavy stuff around corruption and going loose cannon to save the day.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 4, 2024

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

berryjon posted:

One of the better [REDACTED] sequences I've seen in a long time because it makes so much sense and fits nicely into what we already know about Robo.

Yeah, I think my yardstick for these sorts of things is Max Payne, which I guess isn't a very high bar. In any event, a big part of Robocop is that he's still reliant on very experimental and glitchy technology, and also that being killed and resurrected (or near enough to) is hella traumatic and it really speaks volumes about the setting when you consider that the psych support he's getting is mostly about performance evaluation with a token "so how are we feeling" on top of it

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

painedforever posted:

Which Max Payne, and which sequence? Because the Blood Maze in 1 was awful, but the bit where he goes meta about it being a comic or a video game was tops. And Max Payne 2 was just overall great storytelling.

Yeah, the bad trips & blood mazes in MP1 - but you're right, the fourth wall breaking was absolutely on point.
Is there any advantage to trying to take the high ground during the big robo-brawl? Assuming it's even possible to get up to those catwalks.