Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
It's a DMorbid VLP!

Sweet!

And great to have ChaosArgate in there!

I'm going to watch this after I'm done with work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Sel Nar posted:

Resistance IS the best Terminator-related thing since the second film. It's a good 15-20 hour story campaign with a deep look into the rarely-explored future war.

I kind of disagree.

There was an FPS back in the day, Terminator: Future Shock which was really good. They made a sequel, Skynet, which was awful, but the first game was amazing.

I think it was one of the earliest 3D FPS games?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

But I don't remember a lot of Robocop video games.

Except for Robocop vs Terminator which I played on the Sega Megadrive.

That was good, but I found it so hard.

I think I read a tie-in comic book for it which was super-super dark. Like, how Robocop was captured by time-travelling Terminators and then tied up so that he could become a central processor for Skynet or something like that.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I don't think I saw the entirety of the first movie until fairly recently. Like, I was familiar with it thanks to pop-culture osmosis, but I hadn't watched it all the way through.

Surprisingly, I did watch Robocop 2 when I was... I want to say 10? It was at a friend's house, and we watched it on tape.

I didn't get it, and I really didn't understand much of it either.

I did get Robocop 3 on tape myself a few years later, like when I was a teen. I watched it quite a bit. I know it wasn't very good, but I did kind of enjoy it.

I do remember watching a few episodes of the animated series. It was... I liked the music, and the episodes were... I mean, it was late-80s Saturday morning stuff. It was engaging.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Okay, that was hilarious. A discussion on economics by drug-dealers? I dunno, it seems to fit Paul Verhoeven's schtick.

And y'know, the guy talking about Robocop glitching? He isn't wrong, it's just that he's such an rear end in a top hat, you don't want to agree with him.

Any chance of getting screengrabs of the skill-tree and their descriptions?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

So, is it possible to leave the side-missions and note collection at the station until after you've upgraded to maximize XP?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

That investigation is kinda fun. For some reason, it feels very much like the Deus Ex game, the good one? Not the original good one, the last one (or two).

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Volmarias posted:

Watching this LP made me go back and rewatch RoboCop again. It remains a timeless masterpiece, a true work of art.

All of Paul Verhoeven's movies that I've seen have been very unique. I didn't like them when I first watched them as a kid, but after I've grown up a bit, and forced myself to watch them again.

I've watched:
Robocop
Total Recall
Starship Troopers
Hollow Man

The last feels a lot more like a standard Hollywood movie than the others. The rest are very unique. They hit me a lot like Nolan's movies have done.

Robocop and Total Recall have both had remakes, but I think that they both misunderstood the original stories and focussed too much on fixing the special effects.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

DMorbid posted:

Yeah, he and his crew (cinematographer, editor, etc.) went to do that instead of RoboCop 2. I don't think Verhoeven had anything against doing RoboCop 2, but he was already committed to Total Recall and obviously couldn't do two major productions at once.

And oh boy, does the lack of Verhoeven and his crew show in RoboCop 2. Of course, there's only so much anyone can do when the film seems to have three different scripts fighting each other and none of them is very good, but I was really taken aback by how bland RoboCop 2 looked (and sounded, since they didn't get Basil Poledouris back either) when I watched it. The effects team still brought their A-game, at least.

A lot of good movies lose something in sequels. Like, where the hell do you go from here? If it ends happily ever after, are you going to ruin everyone's lives so that they can have a new relationship? If it ends ambiguously, wasn't that the point of it?

At the end of Inception, my wife was all like, "Oh, they should do a sequel," and I'm like, "Really?" We don't need to know if the hero's still in a dream at the end, because he no longer cares if he is.

Robocop isn't about Robocop at all. I mean, yes, in a way, but it's about the world he's in, right, where corporations run rampant, and hospitals and police precincts are run like businesses and suits complain about them not being "profitable" and OMG we're living in that world.

This, by the way, is hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31rrZeTH9HI

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

azren posted:

I was just thinking about the ED 209 demonstration scene, and I can't remember, why was ED loaded with live ammo for a demo for board members?

Why was there a loaded gun in the boardroom?

I think it's just a very macho, toxic environment that they're portraying. Like the huge gun (Cobra something-something?). Or the SUX.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

SIGSEGV posted:

In the first he's the permissive blind and innocent hand of the hierarchy of superbosses who don't care that your bosses cut corners and fund a local militia to shoot the striking workers at the coke bottle factory and make you dispose of waste products for cheap by laying a flexible plastic pipe all the way to the lake, or foreclose on homes the company has no claims on, because he doesn't care to, because he doesn't need to care to and because he doesn't want to. Note his warmth and kindness after an exec gets ventilated in his conference room, he talks about the delays and costs in interests payments alone. Ever mob boss tries to have very clean hands and so does he, the bad poo poo is done by lackeys he can drop at any moment for any reason, in particular saying they've gone out of control after pushing them to get impossible results.

It's that Verhoven power, the prediction of the future, much like Starship Troopers is the prophecy for the 21st century in reaction to 9/11 and the Russians and Chinese existing, Robocop predicts the corporate executive.

The Old Man is evil, but in that overarching, impersonal way that stems from greed rather than personal malice against any individual.

He is responsible for everything that's happening, but it's more like God, y'know? He's made it so that there's this culture of backstabbing and cutting corners and... OCP is like Boeing, except that there's even less accountability.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

DMorbid posted:

Episode 10: Payday

As we go over what we've learned about Wendell's plan, the Vultures remind us they're still out there by hitting the OCP Bank, and so we head on over in pursuit of Spike.

The scene transitions in the briefing room were really janky! And what was going on with that one cop's hand?

"The New Guy" is still a dumb name. The movie wasn't bad, but the name is dumb.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I think that they do a couple of times. But even in the start.

"Hey, New Guy!"

You'd think a bunch of punks hopped up on drugs could come up with something a bit more snappy. Or the news media. Or someone.

Hey, what's the New Guy bringing to the party again? Is it money? Why's everyone trying to impress him, and not trying to bump him off?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

disposablewords posted:

Gotta be some deliberate contrast to the "Old Man" going on with it.

This one looks like the most likely answer. But "Old Man" has a certain something-something, y'know?

DMorbid posted:

"The New Guy" is easier to say than "Wendell Antonowsky", I guess. :v:

True. Being called "The New Guy" is better than getting that name bowlderized to "Wendy Automobile".

Da_Higg posted:

OCP spent a lot of money trademarking "The New Guy" so they are just trying to get their monies worth.

Not surprised that OCP owns MTV.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

This isn't the original actor for The Old Man is it?

The voice sounds fake, and what is with that accent?

Is there a special game over screen if you die at any point? We came really close in the previous video.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Samovar posted:

It's kinda the same with the ED-209.

That scene with the kid and doing the robot was extremely charming. It's moments like that which can really help push a game over the line.

I'm having such trouble parsing this message. I keep reading, "ED-209 and the kid are extremely charming", and I'm like, are we talking about Robocop 3 here? Because I used to have it on VHS. And I used to watch it, because it was somehow acceptable for me to watch as opposed to the other two movies...?

It had ninja robots!

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

DMorbid posted:

Episode 14: Ghosts from the Past

CLICK HERE for cut commentary version!

:siren: Photosensitivity warning: Flashes of static throughout, especially 17:09 - 17:51 :siren:

We found out where Wendell is, so now all we need to do is--[SYSTEM ERROR]

I'm not going to be regularly making cut commentary versions of these episodes, but I figured some people might want to enjoy the atmosphere of this part without us talking over it.

I'm sad they couldn't get more of the actors from the first movie. Kurtwood Smith would have been brilliant!

Still, at least Peter Weller got to do more than just Robocop. Still sounded slightly robotic though.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, I think my yardstick for these sorts of things is Max Payne, which I guess isn't a very high bar. In any event, a big part of Robocop is that he's still reliant on very experimental and glitchy technology, and also that being killed and resurrected (or near enough to) is hella traumatic and it really speaks volumes about the setting when you consider that the psych support he's getting is mostly about performance evaluation with a token "so how are we feeling" on top of it

Which Max Payne, and which sequence? Because the Blood Maze in 1 was awful, but the bit where he goes meta about it being a comic or a video game was tops. And Max Payne 2 was just overall great storytelling.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Max Payne was awesome except for the blood mazes. 2 sucked because of the convoluted plot. 3 was awesome all around. My opinion.

Aw.

"Max, dearest of all of my friends."

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Somehow not as good a line as all the others in the first and third games imo. But enough about that, this is a Robocop thread. He was tossing out great one liners and tanking damage long before Max Payne was ever conceived. :)

Kurtwood Smith though, more than Frank Welker.

Did I already post the video about "Bitches, leave"? Because that was great.

Mind, most quotable movie ever is probably The Crow. That's full of one-liners.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

DMorbid posted:

Episode 15: The Future of Law Enforcement

Hey, these guys look familiar. As I was gonna say before I got distracted, the screaming skull in the RoboCop 2 scene apparently inspired the Revenant design in Doom 2016, as id wanted something that looked a bit goofy.

I don't think I quite understood what happened at the end there. Does Robocop arrest Becker? Is he allowed to (Robocop being an OCP product and Becker being an OCP executive)?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

malkav11 posted:

It is kinda weird that there's crime evidence in the prison, but the implication may be that it's corrupt. Although if it is, you'd think the warden would be less happy to see RoboCop. :iiam:

I tend to treat it as "crunch". Like, it's a collectible, it doesn't really mean anything aside from XP.

I mean, if we're looking for "fluff", I've read a good number of stories that suggest that a lot more illegal activities go on within prisons than you'd think. It's like finishing school for criminals.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I'm forgetting, but did the raised walkways have barriers on either side? That's always an advantage, provided that the video game treats them as barriers and doesn't allow shooting through.

Does it? Can you shoot through obstacles?

And can Robocop crouch? Take a knee behind some boxes while you heal? Antithetical to the idea of being Robocop, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

I wonder if they realize that it was meant to be satire.

Also...

"Just let me read the note!"