Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

drat, this game looks good as hell. I've had my eye on it since it was announced, but I'm pretty sure that my computer only barely meets the minimum requirements. So thanks for doing this. (Also for shifting that question and answer bit to let the music play.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Oh my gods this loving game. :allears: This writing is so magical. Everyone is stupid but in a brilliant way.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Antistar01 posted:

Even the second guy in the queue is pretty grim. It starts out seeming like comedic relief, what with trying to claim the reward on his own head. But then you realise that really he just wants to turn himself in, because life for many in this modern American city is so bad that it would be preferable to be in prison. Pretty bleak.

It's echoed in the side-quest with Mr "drug dealer but really my true passion is doing laundry". (:psyduck:) He described going to prison as being like "winning the lottery".

Political commentary! That's good!

It reminded me of a gag in early Judge Dredd. (Dredd was, purportedly, an openly-admitted influence on the tone they were going for with RoboCop.) Like real early. Way back, Mega-City One is (unintentionally?) portrayed as something approaching a post-scarcity utopia despite also being post-apocalyptic - and the crime level seems to be because people just can't deal with life not being lovely. Robots do almost all labor and people compete viciously for the few jobs available because they're maddeningly bored by endless leisure. So when some dude I think kills or tries to kill his rival for a job, Dredd sending him to prison doing hard labor is received with cheers and onlookers saying something like, "Oh, never let it be said Dredd can't show mercy!"

Like just thinking about the turnaround on that and how that ridiculous gag became another kind of ridiculous gag but with a massively different tenor.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The Robocop remake movie isn't as good as the original, and definitely goes more for dystopic horror rather than dark comedy, but I still liked it a fair bit on its own merits. I intend on adding both of them to my tiny physical movie collection. Y'know, someday.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The most parsimonious answer is probably they're idiot corporate suits and never considered consequences happening to one of their own. This actually applies pretty broadly in real life too, I've found.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Chronische posted:

Next step is the live action AND cartoon series :)

I have a vague, distant memory of what I'm pretty sure is an episode of the live-action series, where some scummy official targets a woman in poverty to get her kicked off of welfare by revealing she's also working an absolutely miserably-paying job under the table. I don't remember why she was targeted, like I have an impression she was also an agitator or something who took the job because she desperately needed to feed her kid, but that might just be as much confabulation as actual memory. And it's so petty and mundanely evil, and I'd see the same attitude in the way a lot of people talk about such things in the real world, that it really stuck with me going forward.

RoboCop the live-action TV series radicalized me. Man, I didn't even have the proper satire of the 80s bullshit of the movie to go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Gotta be some deliberate contrast to the "Old Man" going on with it.