Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I have a stutter as an adult, and I understand how you might be feeling. As a kid I stuttered, went through therapy, and by highschool I had it 90% masked, and by the time I graduated university no one knew I had any issue with speaking, and just considered me a quiet person. Fast forward to five years ago I injured my brain badly enough that I am stuttering again, this time in a completely different flavour. Insurance paid for therapy and I am now fluent at work or in public. Home is for resting and it takes considerable intention and effort to talk normal.

I recommend therapy, even if it doesn't help directly it'll make you feel better about how you sound, and talking to someone who understands can lift your spirits a bit. And I'd like to ask how your stutter presents, because when I was a kid I had blocks and stammers at the initiation of speech, so the therapist then focused on a "stretch and blend" approach. After the brain injury I repeat every syllable, so the approach was the Camperdown method which is very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Camperdown method might be worth looking into if you want to go the self directed route. It's laid out in various YouTube videos, just a guy talking really really slow, and then as you get more comfortable at slow speeds you gradually increase your rate until you sound almost normal. Every level has the same guy reading the same passage (something about butterflies if I remember correctly) at the speed that corresponds with the level so you have a solid point of reference. My SLP had me pick the lowest level I could stand, and then each week we would converse at that level until I felt comfortable. All you would really need is a conversation partner with patience.

In retrospect it really helped with relearning how to talk. When I'm at work I often go back those stupidly slow conversations and remember that I can control myself when I want to.

Also! My speech therapist's practice was only kids. They really enjoyed having an adult to talk to a couple times a week. One of your local therapists might feel the same way.