Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
It's so weird that the Galaxy have a player who's legitimately fast.

I'm pleased, of course. It's just so unfamiliar.

Edit: goalkeepers loving up and pretending it was a foul, however, is familiar.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
nutso angle on the fire wind-goal

https://twitter.com/patketza/status/1769397014364594578?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
For the most part the officiating's been no worse than it was last year; I will say it seems pretty obvious they're having someone call in for certain calls like offsides. FCC had a goal called off correctly for an offsides but the AR never did or said anything and it took like 5 minutes for them to call it off.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, it's pretty clear that they have managers (ie your Geiger types that aged out of running the lines) on VAR and they seem to have more discretion than usual, so we're seeing mostly similar outcomes on "big calls" because there are more VAR interventions, but the routine game management and chippy poo poo maybe isn't being handled as well?

Not quite the epic shitshow I was expecting though.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Hard disagree. Just based on the examples leading this article happening in the span of three weeks says there's been a hell of a difference, not to mention the comments from the coaches saying it's gotten worse (granted, managers are always salty if they don't win, but if many managers keep saying the same thing...). Just from what I've seen, these refs have been plagued by horrendously slow decision making (both on the field and with VAR) and even more consistency issues than last year.

There hasn't been a Fail Mary, but it seems like it's only a matter of time now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

whypick1 posted:

There hasn't been a Fail Mary, but it seems like it's only a matter of time now.

I absolutely agree it's slower, both in general because of less experienced refs and because of the increased use of VAR to cover for them. I might just have been lucky to have missed the games Baxter is writing about, though - my experience has been more like Eifert's and I haven't seen anything too egregious.

TBF after watching this sport for this long it takes something really remarkable to get past my noise filter for "losing coaches/players complaining about the refs" so I'm probably missing some Fail Mary early warning sign somewhere, but the most I'm saying is that the scabs have exceeded my extremely low expectations.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 20, 2024

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm not complimenting the ceiling of the scabs so much as I am observing the floor of the regular refs.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

whypick1 posted:

I don’t think there is going to be a huge fail Mary like in the nfl because of Geiger and co running VAR. the first few weeks went well but I think the wheels are starting to come off, match day 4 and 5 have started falling off and it seems like they’re struggling to keep numbers with a ref doing a middle in Minnesota as a last minute injury replacement then doing a 4th in Atlanta the next day. Says a lot that they couldn’t promote the 4th on the game and just get another 4th.

IMO we did have the closest thing to a fail Mary we will get in the Chicago Montreal match

https://x.com/will_stjean/status/1769092917325439072?s=46&t=l3BNUY1tDwZOYN9ilB4yAg

So… from a refereeing standpoint this is just… it’s baffling. The AR calls this penalty. I think this is… soft but can’t really overturn it as violent conduct and a red card. But, the AR waited *20 seconds* to put his flag up for this. You saw VC and a PK and waited almost half a minute to act on that information?

And honestly, as far as VC goes? It’s kinda soft. In the games I do? He’s gotta go, sure. But that’s semi pro and amateur mens behaving badly leagues. At the pro level? No one is asking for it, it wasn’t above the shoulders, im honestly kinda sold on this being yellow at the pro level. But that said if you’re getting this for VC, shouldn’t VAR come back and get the shove in the back (equally soft) in the APP to take away the penalty? It just feels like a lack of feel for the game for this to have been what it was.

I dunno, league seems happy so PSRA has a tough road ahead

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This might be a challenge for Luis Suarez.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
why are the revs such salty bitches :salt:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

paddyboat posted:

why are the revs such salty bitches :salt:

:ms:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

This might be a challenge for Luis Suarez.

Lewis > Luis

love a bit of poetic justice, me

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

the Gil Brothers was my guess but this checks out

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Boy, Five Stripes are short handed tonight

E: 32 degrees F at start :shudder:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

OK, Brad Guzan is back

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
A very much NOT short-handed Galaxy sure are being tuned up by the first decent defense we've faced this year.

Maybe those "The Galaxy are back" posts were a bit premature.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 24, 2024

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
The first half was OK. The second half, not so much.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Here I am hoping for a 0-0 draw, prepared to be massively disappointed :sigh:

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

lol
lmao even

jesus christ

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

Pigma_Micron posted:

A very much NOT short-handed Galaxy sure are being tuned up by the first decent defense we've faced this year.

Maybe those "The Galaxy are back" posts were a bit premature.

Never mind! We're invincible!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay now that was an officiating poo poo show.

I don't know who this head ref was at Cinci but I hope I never see him again.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Here I am hoping for a 0-0 draw, prepared to be massively disappointed :sigh:

Update: :shepicide:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

man and I thought my guys'd had a poo poo night

edit: wowwww at that Rapids-Dynamo ending though, that's gonna be controversial if this holds

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 24, 2024

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Gobble gobble, one of us

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Even though my team was down 2-0 I feel like we really got a gift there

(makeup call from the ref somehow calling San Jose's second definitively onside)

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Wow that was bullshit, Maxs0 got elbowed in the head and they let Houston run it the other way for a goal instead.

Oh wow, SJ-SEA is a wild finish as well.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Update: :shepicide::shepicide::shepicide:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This is going to be 2022 all over again, but they don't even get Champions League to make up for being garbage in the league.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Man, Andre Blake is taking a beating.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

This definitely feels like a "blood the youth" year for Colorado, I do like how Larraz is looking so far.

And just as I was thinking that Bombito gets a birthday goal!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Lol the DICKS! chant.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I like the guy with a Walt Disney Pictures shirt on. Like, the company slate.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

It's the Mihailovic show at The Dick, and I'm all for it.

Loan Yapi to the Switchbacks and give Stewart-Baynes his minutes, Yapi desperately needs regular minutes to get his confidance up.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 30, 2024

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That was such a nice free kick for Mihailovic

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: Bobby Hill tifo :siren:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Proposal: ties go to the team that scores a real goal and not a pk.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

FML

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

can definitely call this a bright start from the Caps, especially from Ahmed on the left

surely I'm not tempting fate

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

surely I'm not tempting fate

oh I absolutely was, same old Cardiac Caps

ugly-rear end winner but they all count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

I don't know if this happens with other teams but opponents sure like to attack ATL early in a match.

E: 3 fuckin nil :hellyeah:

Pershing fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 31, 2024