Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

it’s like the computer is afraid to use more than 32gb honestly I don’t think Ive seen it more than once which was when I tried to render a 4k image at 1000% resolution lol

casually trying to render an 803mp image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

do I have to trial this in bios or can I use the amd in-windows tool

the best/easiest way to do this is to pay yuri bubly for the hydra pro software at his patreon, https://www.patreon.com/1usmus, and just run it following the instructions also on said patreon. it also has a RAM overclocking function and can do some with the GPU.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

for the best performance you're going to want a 3600MHz kit so the infinity fabric interconnect between your cpu chiplets can run at 1800MHz, and a cas latency of 16 or better, so something like 16-16-16-36 will really squeeze all the performance you can out of the system

is it possible for me to get some kind of idea of performance jump? how would I work that out

tbh i’m mostly daydreaming here. IF i could sell 64gb and get 32gb or something better AND the performance boost was noticeable i’d look at it but otherwise i’m not looking to spend any money lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I have a threadripper and it’s perfectly good

I actually need to upgrade my dogshit gpu

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

is it possible for me to get some kind of idea of performance jump? how would I work that out

tbh i’m mostly daydreaming here. IF i could sell 64gb and get 32gb or something better AND the performance boost was noticeable i’d look at it but otherwise i’m not looking to spend any money lol

it's gonna depend on exactly what you're running now and what your subtimings currently are

today will be the day echi discovers he never enabled xmp

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the gently caress is xmp lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I gently caress around in bios whenever I get a new pc and if something seems good I turn it on and vice versa and then a year later learn I did something backwards

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the gently caress is xmp lol

boot into your bios and what is the RAM profile set to? "Default" or something like "XMP," "DOCP," "EOCP," "EXPO"?

ddr4 memory runs at a jedec standard speed of like 2133MHz. the kits we buy that say 3200MHz or 3600MHz means they're tested and rated to run overclocked at those speeds and come preloaded with a full set of timings and subtimings to run at those advertised speeds. if you don't turn on xmp/docp/etc. though it just runs at 2133

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I get home from work i’ll check

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh yeah for blendering you could probably do a little better these days. but it looks like to cut your render time in half that you'd have to lay out $1k nzd. and buy a new board and ram. really genuinely worth it?

as far as undervolting, yeah. its the modern overclock.

cpus and gpus will boost clock until they hit thermal limits these days. The idea is to run lower voltage to the chip, but not so low that it stops CPU'ing. undervolting has a squared effect because current consumption also goes down when you do that.

so pulling numbers out of my absolute rear end:
if a transistor on a cpu normally runs at say 1.2v at 2 nanoamps it generates 2.4 nanowatts of heat
if you cut the voltage by 10% to 1.08v, it now draws 1.8 nanoamps and generates 1.95 nanowatts of heat, a 19% reduction in TDP.

So the chip runs cooler and says to itself "we can clock higher."

"why don't they do this at the factory then why the 1.2v default" everybody asks. Cause they spec them on the 'won't crash' safe side, and that's a voltage a hair above what they successfully stress tested the chip at on a $39 shenzhen dogshit motherboard that they buried in mud for a week.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 22, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for that, makes sense

and yeah seeing as I just do blender for fun there’s no real use spending more money, it’s pretty fine as it is

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

thanks for that, makes sense

and yeah seeing as I just do blender for fun there’s no real use spending more money, it’s pretty fine as it is

you definitely should make sure your ram is running at the appropriate speed though because otherwise your computer is running considerably worse than it otherwise should be

another buddy of mine had his pcie bandwidth turned down for some reason so he was only getting x4 instead of the full x16 for his gpu, which was resulting in super lovely performance that he couldn't figure out

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my bios blinked and took my 3200 ddr4 down to that jedec bullshit. i noticed my ffxiv fps was low, and after going back and resetting it to 3200 i went from like 90 fps back up to the 144 i'm used to

that ram speed is v important.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

my bios blinked and took my 3200 ddr4 down to that jedec bullshit. i noticed my ffxiv fps was low, and after going back and resetting it to 3200 i went from like 90 fps back up to the 144 i'm used to

that ram speed is v important.

worried the graphical update is going to put me below 240 fps and drive me crazy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
every time my game pc gets put into sleep mode i come back and the poo poo won't break 35fps in Limsa. the accepted solution for this so far across the internets is "don't put your computer into sleep and then try to play a game."

the only fix for me is a gpu driver reinstall. its so dumb. or just never sleep it. but thats annoying. it SHOULD work.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

i just let my monitor shut off but the system itself stays on constantly

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i got da need..... da need, for weed :2bong:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Look, I need you to 'not' right now.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
well, thanks to this thread i apparently finally configured my memory appropriately after 4 years, christ. thanks!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

:cheersbird:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
finally got home and checking my settings and lol there’s not an obvious setting for memory profile but I can see I’ve got the ram set to 2700mhz lmao

imm run a test scene in blender as a benchmark then change it

is it possible that you could set something in bios and make the system so unstable you can’t get back into bios anymore? as in, does bios run everything at the most basic speeds etc to make itself stable?

many moons ago I remember doing this and having to use some jumpers to reset the bios .. is this a risk a person takes if they try hitting too-high speeds on the ram or undervolting ?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

finally got home and checking my settings and lol there’s not an obvious setting for memory profile but I can see I’ve got the ram set to 2700mhz lmao

imm run a test scene in blender as a benchmark then change it

is it possible that you could set something in bios and make the system so unstable you can’t get back into bios anymore? as in, does bios run everything at the most basic speeds etc to make itself stable?

many moons ago I remember doing this and having to use some jumpers to reset the bios .. is this a risk a person takes if they try hitting too-high speeds on the ram or undervolting ?

you can just remove the cmos battery or short the “clear cmos” jumpers if you have those (or press the clear cmos button if your board is fancy enough to have one)

I strongly suggest using the automatic undervolt/overclock utility I linked earlier since it hooks into the bios settings via AMD’s software and will revert if it detects instability.

the bios will run at whatever settings you tell it to run at. if it’s unstable and won’t load it has built-in defaults that it will reset to when cmos is cleared

if you can tell me what brand and more specifically what model motherboard you have I can tell you exactly how to enable comp

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 23, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

this is the bios for gigabyte’s aorus sub-brand, in “advanced mode.” you go to “Extreme Memory Profile,” hit enter, select “Profile 1,” make sure the FCLK Frequency is half the memory frequency, then save and reboot

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Mods please rename thread "I need help with my RAM clocks"

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

sorry for derailing this, as much as this thread can be derailed, lol

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i thought this thread was for what u need when u need it. if u have 2 ask ASK

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

discovered it’s called docp in amd land not xmp. I found it

just crashed windows. lmao

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

docp is the "standard" name while xmp is the intel brand-name, but like so many things the brand-name is what caught on for most people and so a lot of board makers just use "xmp" on everything regardless of amd or intel

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

No shade, this is hella informative. Threads title can get the word out.

Sorry about your OG thread idea and windows crashing OP

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

change it back if it continues crashing, though it shouldn't

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

change it back if it continues crashing, though it shouldn't

i used ctr cos the hydra download link isn’t working

it defo made the fan run less before it crashed lol

mem speed didn’t do much at all to render time

will revisit undervolting

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 23, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i used cyr cos the hydra download link isn’t working

it defo made the fan run less before it crashed lol

mem speed didn’t do much at all to render time

will revisit undervolting

brother, enable the docp setting in your bios first before trying to uv/oc. and assuming you mean ctr and not cyr, that's for older ryzen chips and shouldn't work with 5000-series

hydra requires subscribing to the guy's patreon, and is actually maintained and updated versus the older ctr software

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 23, 2024

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

brother, enable the docp setting in your bios first before trying to uv/oc. and assuming you mean ctr and not cyr, that's for older ryzen chips and shouldn't work with 5000-series

hydra requires subscribing to the guy's patreon, and is actually maintained and updated versus the older ctr software

i did the docp

ill try n find the hydra

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i did the docp

ill try n find the hydra

https://www.patreon.com/1usmus

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i need to SLEEP

i havent slept well since 2012 when my daughter was diagnosed type1 diabetic

several years of setting alarms to wake up every 90 minutes at night to verify blood sugar for a kid in elementary school has hosed me up pretty bad. shes on a cgm now so we have not had to do that for a while, but i might be permanently broken.

i used to sleep like rip van winkle. any time, any place, out like a light for as long as i needed.

now my wife tells me she thinks i do not sleep at all as far as she can tell. at any time of night she can ask me whatever and ill answer.

i know i must be getting sleep because im not dead. at least i dont think im dead. i think id feel more rested if i was. who can say, really.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

fresh_cheese posted:

i need to SLEEP

i havent slept well since 2012 when my daughter was diagnosed type1 diabetic

several years of setting alarms to wake up every 90 minutes at night to verify blood sugar for a kid in elementary school has hosed me up pretty bad. shes on a cgm now so we have not had to do that for a while, but i might be permanently broken.

i used to sleep like rip van winkle. any time, any place, out like a light for as long as i needed.

now my wife tells me she thinks i do not sleep at all as far as she can tell. at any time of night she can ask me whatever and ill answer.

i know i must be getting sleep because im not dead. at least i dont think im dead. i think id feel more rested if i was. who can say, really.

do a sleep study. if you’ve got apnea a cpap will change your life. changed mine

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Branch Nvidian posted:

do a sleep study. if you’ve got apnea a cpap will change your life. changed mine

hmmmmmm

the good: sleep. also darth vader noises

the bad: i cannot sleep on my back. cant. …. maybe youre on to something…..

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

fresh_cheese posted:

hmmmmmm

the good: sleep. also darth vader noises

the bad: i cannot sleep on my back. cant. …. maybe youre on to something…..

I’m a side sleeper, and the cloak still works in that position too. seriously, get a sleep study done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Branch Nvidian posted:

I’m a side sleeper, and the cloak still works in that position too. seriously, get a sleep study done

note. tooooo. self.
sleeeeeep. studyyy….. but nooooot daay beeefour. colonoscopy.

my brother is narcoleptic. the dichotomy amuses me.