Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I wonder if that's partly a language barrier, like they're more talked about in their own country and the greater Spanish speaking hobby space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

AK also makes paint primarily for the scale model market and dioramas. Night Shift uses their products a lot.

Miniatures are very much a secondary market for them

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
AK are loving MASSIVE in the air/armor modeling space, and large-scale figs to a lesser degree, all around the world. They simply haven't focused their marketing on the minis space much at all, but they're slowly branching out in that direction with some beautiful painting books and ranges of more vibrant colors.

I think it's just a cultural difference when they've made there (several) missteps with products and promotion. Many of the things they've done that were "scandals" over here, didn't even register as a blip in europe and asia. They still sell their controversial books in euro/asia in unedited format, only north america had the original version pulled and then a cut-down version released here.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well I'm certainly not surprised by Europeans not being bothered by the Holocaust.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I'm Jewish and care a lot about how people handle the Holocaust, and I actually don't have a problem with AK's project. You can see the listing for the book on their site still, actually: https://ak-interactive.com/product/condemnation-when-modeling-becomes-art-and-art-is-a-social-denounce/ It wasn't just focused on the Holocaust, it was focused on genocides and other atrocities and human tragedies (a child drowning, an IV drug user injecting). I believe they were sincere when they said they undertook the project to highlight these atrocities to condemn them (hence the title of the book). It struck me similarly to this fantastic Goonhammer article on playing a tabletop wargame as, for example, Nazi Germany: https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-butterflies-pinned-to-a-board-or-why-we-play-the-baddies/ At most they're misguided artists, not neo-Nazis.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Don't paint much 32mm scale stuff, but I've had this laying around since it came as a Black Friday bonus in another order and bumped it to the front of the painting queue for a change of pace.

Painting faces and skin: not easy! The ease of tiny vehicles has spoiled me. I gave up on the eye underneath the hair, and some eldritch horror of smears is hidden there.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

any suggestions for oil tube storage? I'd like something better than just throwing them in a drawer

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

any suggestions for oil tube storage? I'd like something better than just throwing them in a drawer

Box in your closet

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Are there any like, weather tips for spray primer? It's been a long time and I usually did this poo poo at the FLGS when I did it the first time around. I also assume this can of Krylon is perfectly servicable despite not having been sanctified by the God-Emperor

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Another Malifaux mini

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I like painting, I'm not very good but I'm trying my best and it is fun anyway!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Nessus posted:

Are there any like, weather tips for spray primer? It's been a long time and I usually did this poo poo at the FLGS when I did it the first time around. I also assume this can of Krylon is perfectly servicable despite not having been sanctified by the God-Emperor

Mostly key is you want the can itself to be room temp / warm so I like to put it in a bowl of hot water (from tap not boiled) for about 4-5 min. Make sure its not raining or too cold out. Its never warm enough in the UK for me to think if there's any issues that end of things.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

HobbyZone makes an oil paint module. It's pretty good.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lostconfused posted:

Well I'm certainly not surprised by Europeans not being bothered by the Holocaust.

Arent you? Why not?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
probably a good idea to avoid degrading into arguing over whether europe or the US is more racist

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Hitler ally Franco was in power in Spain until 1975, so the rest of the world had a 30 year head start understanding WW2 from a better perspective.

Green Stuff World and AK are both Spanish, right?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

And Vallejo. Spain has a really big scale model community. I only having passing conversational Spanish, so I don't hang out in those parts of the internet often, but I routinely run across Spanish language resources and tutorials for models.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKH98iq6Xhg

Here's a pretty good video. My main tips would be to keep the mini and the spray can warm and use a bucket of warm water to warm up the can for a good 10-20 minutes. When you're done spraying, make sure you have a well ventilated but still warm and dry place inside your garage or home or wherever that the mini can off gas and cure in for a couple hours or a day or whatever. Your local humidity and temperature, especially wherever you leave the mini to cure, will have a huge impact on cure times and results.

Also, make sure you shake the bejesus out of the spray can for a good three to five minutes if it's been a long time since you last used it. Also make sure whatever primer you're using, if it's not a miniature primer, is flat, I made the mistake of buying a white rustoleum primer that wasn't flat and it performs like poo poo where my flat black rustoleum primer works great

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 1, 2024

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Muir posted:

I'm Jewish and care a lot about how people handle the Holocaust, and I actually don't have a problem with AK's project. You can see the listing for the book on their site still, actually: https://ak-interactive.com/product/condemnation-when-modeling-becomes-art-and-art-is-a-social-denounce/ It wasn't just focused on the Holocaust, it was focused on genocides and other atrocities and human tragedies (a child drowning, an IV drug user injecting). I believe they were sincere when they said they undertook the project to highlight these atrocities to condemn them (hence the title of the book). It struck me similarly to this fantastic Goonhammer article on playing a tabletop wargame as, for example, Nazi Germany: https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-butterflies-pinned-to-a-board-or-why-we-play-the-baddies/ At most they're misguided artists, not neo-Nazis.

I read this and I understand his point, and otherwise agree with him, but I still don't think at any point in time I ever really want to even remotely humanize the Nazis, even in the context of "just a wargame" when people out there by and large are missing satire completely with no critical thinking skills, it's safer for me to just assume the dude with Nazi armies probably is

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

it's safer for me to just assume the dude with Nazi armies probably is

So should we just stop doing WW2 historical wargaming entirely? :confuoot:

The vast, vast majority of people who are into WW2 historicals are entirely harmless middle aged centrist dads.

I understand not wanting to involve yourself in a game where one side by necessity plays the Nazis, but by default assuming everyone who is into WW2 historicals is a literal Nazi is pretty wild.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Thinking everyone willing to play the bad guys is endorsing them is hella lame.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Jonny Nox posted:

Box in your closet

I keep mine in a box on a shelf.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

The vast, vast majority of people who are into WW2 historicals are entirely harmless middle aged centrist dads.

I understand not wanting to involve yourself in a game where one side by necessity plays the Nazis, but by default assuming everyone who is into WW2 historicals is a literal Nazi is pretty wild.

I guess it's a moot point when I refuse to play historical minis. I'm not saying those people are Nazis, but I certainly would have my guard up just in case.

I could be too online brained but I've seen enough black Templar and kreig fans "just saying" about how the Imperium is the good guys and various poo poo about trans people online that it just makes logical sense to be worried.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Lovingly painting my ss miniatures and shaking my head every now and again so everyone knows there's nothing weird going on

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Finished a batch of Southern Republic mechs for Heavy Gear. You can see the first camo patterned one middle-right where I had the wrong colors. Middle-left I had the application of those colors wrong. Middle center is the one I'm happiest with. The guys on the wings are just grunts. Decals and acrylics need a day or two to cure before I matte varnish and base them. Scored a deal on a used box of more of the nice metal ones on ebay, excited to get that and build some more of these. The simplest of this lot was 9 metal pieces, about half needing pinned.

These models are from an overtly fascist faction though, so I guess I should just get an 88 tattoo now.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
That's a zaku (edit: complimentary but you got weird about it)

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 1, 2024

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The game is basically Super Robot Wars but everything is scaled to between 10 and 20 feet tall and takes place on a desert planet. drat right it's a Zaku. Off camera are the scopedogs and patlabors.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Ominous Jazz posted:

Lovingly painting my ss miniatures and shaking my head every now and again so everyone knows there's nothing weird going on

I paint my poorly and make sure my display quality Allied Forces minis are prominently displayed on my work station so there's no question this is an obligation, not enthusiasm.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Geisladisk posted:

My favorite story about WW2 wargame painting was a Bolt Action(?) player who had lovingly detailed, historically accurate Shermans and a box full of Axis tanks he'd hastily spray-painted pink for when it was his turn to play the Nazis.

That always felt like a fair compromise to me.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

My favorite story about WW2 wargame painting was a Bolt Action(?) player who had lovingly detailed, historically accurate Shermans and a box full of Axis tanks he'd hastily spray-painted pink for when it was his turn to play the Nazis.

Was that the guy who also kept them in a box marked "fascists" and would toss them in with no organisation when they died? I remember someone saying they saw a player who did that

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

that's funny but i probably wouldn't play with those toys if given the option

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Was that the guy who also kept them in a box marked "fascists" and would toss them in with no organisation when they died? I remember someone saying they saw a player who did that
I think his Red Army units were given a solid paint job and the Ratzis were just spraypainted with black primer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Now I'm wondering if there's a WW2 naval miniatures game.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

ilmucche posted:

I've always thought of doing an army of nazis in a historical game but in the style of that one guy that makes space marines being cut in half, drilled through with a melta-gun or bolter fire freeing the backs of their heads from their bodily prisons. Just a glorious line-up of exploding tanks and ss officers trying to push their guts back in.

I just don't want to stare at nazis that long to make it.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I got around twenty little skeletons to make and base and I was so excited and now that they're here I dunno what to do with them

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Nessus posted:

Victory at Sea, done by the same people that do Bolt Action, though I don't know what it plays like. There's probably more out there too.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

Warlord Games does a 1/800th scale game for larger ships and actions called "Victory at Sea"
https://us.warlordgames.com/collections/victory-at-sea

and they have a partner company that does a game focusing on smaller classes of ships and smaller engagements, but at a bigger scale of 1/300th

https://skytrex.com/pages/cruel-seas

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Checking the BGG list of 'naval, wargame, wwii, miniatures' I've played at least ten of the ~50 of the results, and plenty more that aren't fully published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The axis and allies naval miniature game was fun, but the "collectible" aspect of it really kind of sucked.