Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

My Spirit Otter posted:

you dont realize just how sharp an airbrush needle is until you drop it and reflexively try and catch it and bury a quarter of it lengthwise into your hand lol

I get involuntarily intermittent shakes occasionally throughout the day and buried the needle I was cleaning under a fingernail just so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Old world xpost

Exactly one month ago today a friend asked me if I wanted to play some Old World, it seemed neat and he had found his old minis deep in his basement. I replied that sadly I did not have a Old World army.

Since then I have painted many dwarves.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Geisladisk posted:

Old world xpost

Exactly one month ago today a friend asked me if I wanted to play some Old World, it seemed neat and he had found his old minis deep in his basement. I replied that sadly I did not have a Old World army.

Since then I have painted many dwarves.

purple is an unusual colour for dwarfs but this absolutely slaps

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yep, rocks!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Yeah.

Purple + Yellow beards really pops on those minis.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Issaries posted:

Yeah.

Purple + Yellow beards really pops on those minis.

I think the one mistake I made is that the Longbeards are kinda flat because they don't have the yellow beards to contrast with the purple. I should probably have worked some gold in there by giving them gold trimmings. I just might go back and do that.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

you dont realize just how sharp an airbrush needle is until you drop it and reflexively try and catch it and bury a quarter of it lengthwise into your hand lol

:nms:

You must have a very thick hand because a quarter of my airbrush needle would be a through and through on mine.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Color scheme thoughts: I'm getting back into painting by just doing a single kill team of Marines. I've committed to base colors for now, but I'm thinking on weapons in particular and bouncing between a few thoughts.
Already established, roughly:
  • Base color: Thousand Sons Blue -> Ahriman Blue -> Proacryl White highlights (basically the "Optic Blue" combination on Citadel's app)
  • Trim: Proacryl Bronze -> Light Bronze
  • Lenses, if I use helmets: Moot Green -> Coelia Greenshade
  • Leader's sword and other grey/black accents: Vallejo German Grey -> highlights
  • Bases: Vallejo Russian Mud, then a mixture of water effects and modeling snow for slush (doing a test run first because I've never done this, but I've seen it done well). Black rims.
Not yet decided:
  • Weapons: deciding between Mephiston Red -> highlights or a bone color of some sort. For the 3 plasma weapons in the list, I'd be doing green plasma with red guns or purple with ivory; red/green/blue has me suspicious it'll look a little too bright and oldhammer-y, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Either one particularly work better with bright blue armor?
  • Power weapons: Should I match the plasma choice? The leader is getting a Black Sword knockoff, so they're exempt, but there's still a power fist and a few knives in the mix (playing legionaries with their "fell knife" and other weird daemonic stuff, but modeled as loyalists). Power fist doesn't need energy glow, but the blades probably do to distinguish from normal knives that don't get a stat line.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Posted in the Malifaux thread, and I think I posted some old pics of Euripides / Thoon back in the old thread, but too bad! Working on taking better pictures; trying to get good lighting and focus stacking like a non-idiot (which is hard because I'm an idiot)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

My Spirit Otter posted:

I've got a little blue dot tattooed on my thigh from where I dropped a fountain pen just wrong. It's lasted 17 years so far.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
apparently vallejo model color is switching to a new formulation too. picked up a couple of bottles to try.

if they gently caress up or discontinue dark sand, i am going to kill a mf

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
or probably just do a disappointed and very whiny variation of my paint sommelier bit

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cease to Hope posted:

apparently vallejo model color is switching to a new formulation too. picked up a couple of bottles to try.

if they gently caress up or discontinue dark sand, i am going to kill a mf

same but all the colors that have the word Sea in them. Dark Sea Green, Dark Sea Grey, Dark Sea Blue, Light Sea Grey and Light Sea Green have amazing coverage and interesting tones that work so well on a lot of things

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wip of my happy Plague Marine Kill Team leader. I loved this Blightlord model and decided that since, according to a Reddit post, these guys effectively have 18+ wounds, a Terminator model would be appropriate. The old school Berserker plasma pistol was a breeze to fit on. I’ll probably count the chaincleaver as a powerfist or poweraxe, depending on who I’m facing.

I hope he’s actually somewhat effective. I also have a bolter leader who looks like he’d be more effective on paper.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Wip of my happy Plague Marine Kill Team leader. I loved this Blightlord model and decided that since, according to a Reddit post, these guys effectively have 18+ wounds, a Terminator model would be appropriate. The old school Berserker plasma pistol was a breeze to fit on. I’ll probably count the chaincleaver as a powerfist or poweraxe, depending on who I’m facing.

I hope he’s actually somewhat effective. I also have a bolter leader who looks like he’d be more effective on paper.

“Tell me, brother, does my bum look big in this?”

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Z the IVth posted:

:nms:

You must have a very thick hand because a quarter of my airbrush needle would be a through and through on mine.

it didnt go through and through, it entered between 2 fingers and dug up to the palm, thankfully

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Most stores here just carry the usual spread of Warhammer/Star Wars/Marvel/5E, but sometimes they have a few Reaper minis tucked away in the corner.

I think this "Space Henchman" is supposed to be wearing an armor vest, but I like him better in a wifebeater that's barely held together at the stomach.

Wangsucker 69 posted:

There are some true badasses in here, super inspiring! I'm a newbie with no artistic skill but here is something I dont hate that I was painting this week :D

That rules. The way you layered the paints gives a good impression of the different textures on the ground/robes/bells/etc.

What's the model?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

i feel like the wifebeater suits him

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.

mellonbread posted:

Most stores here just carry the usual spread of Warhammer/Star Wars/Marvel/5E, but sometimes they have a few Reaper minis tucked away in the corner.

I think this "Space Henchman" is supposed to be wearing an armor vest, but I like him better in a wifebeater that's barely held together at the stomach.

That rules. The way you layered the paints gives a good impression of the different textures on the ground/robes/bells/etc.

What's the model?

Thank you! It’s the Dream Eater model from the Curse of Torpor set from my Loot Studios sub. They have some cool stuff if you have a 3D printer

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Lumpy posted:

It took me less than a month to take pictures of my Adpeticon Resin Beast and The Worthy entries!

These are bonkers, amazing work. The color transitions on the last one are astounding.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

1000ish points of Warhammer Fantasy 4th Edition in 10mm:

Next army is Night Goblins. I want a lime green skin on them, over a black undercoat since I'm likely to drybrush their robes a dark grey. Is there any way to do this in one coat of something, or am I best off going with white and then a bright contrast paint? (this is for 10mm scale so I'm all about speed and efficiency)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Southern Heel posted:

1000ish points of Warhammer Fantasy 4th Edition in 10mm:

Next army is Night Goblins. I want a lime green skin on them, over a black undercoat since I'm likely to drybrush their robes a dark grey. Is there any way to do this in one coat of something, or am I best off going with white and then a bright contrast paint? (this is for 10mm scale so I'm all about speed and efficiency)

Loving (all the posts with minis, but especially) all these fantasy minis. They look great!

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
e; Y'all need to learn that a falling knife/pointy thing has no handle jfc

Learning to use the airbrush for anything beyond priming is a bit of a pain, but I'm slowly making progress. Mostly it can be demoralizing because an errant spray can cause way more rework than an errant brush stroke.

On a related note, Gaahleri is clearing out their Amazon stock of one of their older "premium" airbrushes at $42 (40% off, actually as far as I can tell, not Amazon pricing gimmicks) that I think is being discontinued. I've been really happy with their $30 starter airbrush, I haven't felt the drawbacks commonly mentioned with older cheaper airbrushes, so I decided to roll the dice and pick one up.

Bark! A Vagrant fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 16, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

it didnt go through and through, it entered between 2 fingers and dug up to the palm, thankfully

Not helping! :psyboom:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Not helping! :psyboom:

take comfort in knowing the hole was incredibly tiny and its almost healed up already

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Lime green over black sounds tricky with contrast paint. As I understand it you would need to get in a strong zenithal eg by heavily dry brushing white on the skin first. I’d be interested to see some test minis.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
100% drybrush on white then use striking scorpion contrast paint

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Quote isn't edit, wtf

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
6mm drylands house from iliada games

ive been learning some blender. did some animals and got some test prints painted

10mm geese. more of these are coming!

10mm opossum. or a really big 6mm opossum

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

he scream at own rear end :patriot:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Winklebottom posted:

he scream at own rear end :patriot:

If this isn't the new thread title, we should all boycott.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

6mm drylands house from iliada games

ive been learning some blender. did some animals and got some test prints painted

What size brush are you using when you paint things at this scale? And do you use a magnifying headset of some sort?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

This rules but also:

As for Kill Team advice, usually the best place to ask for KT advice is the spec games thread but I can help you out here with kitbashing work.

There is an actual Death Guard team, but it sucks in a way that is pretty unfun. They're all super slow, so either your team is half useless poxwalker zombies or else tragically easy to outmaneuver and isolate. They get two gimmicks and one of them is an aura that half the teams in the game can ignore. You'd think super-tough guys who all get a special fighting knife would all be decent in melee but no, they're punching bags because of 3A on basically everyone. I really do not recommend playing Actual Death Guard from the Kill Team Compendium, and instead play Legionaries.

If you don't take this advice, your champion's armament is fine. There isn't actually an option for any kind of chain weapon or power weapon for them but since you're always taking a power fist anyway, it's nbd. (The plague sword is inexplicably worse than a power sword.) He can take a bolter but you'll get a ton of use out of the plasma except against the most passive, defensive teams.

For the rest of a bad DG team, you always want a plasma gunner and an icon bearer. Then you have some choices. Either eight poxwalkers, or three more marines. Two of those marines are boring bolter/knife guys. The third is either a melee guy (double knife with mephitic toxin, any other melee guy is mediocre) or a blight launcher guy.

You're not stuck with Death Guard, though. You do have options.

Legionaries are generic CSM. However, your guys do have marks of chaos, and all-Nurgle is pretty much the only mono-mark you'd ever want to take. It doesn't even come with any downsides. They aren't quite as tough as actual DG, but on the flip side they move normally and are considerably more dangerous and versatile.

For the leader, there are three options but the most versatile and most thematic one is a Chosen, who heals after a melee where he got a crit hit. He wants a plasma pistol and a "demon blade" which can just be whatever you want. The other leader option, an AC, wants a plasma pistol and a power weapon or fist but his whole gimmick is going fast so probably not what you're looking for anyway.

The rest of the team is five of these, in generally deceasing order of importance:
  • Plasma gun gunner
  • Anointed, who is just a mutant claw guy with a bolt pistol that isn't very important
  • Shrivetalon, who has two knives and is a generally defensive and intimidating melee guy. Any kind of dual-wielded small claws or sharp gauntlets or whatever would work.
  • Balefire Acolyte, a psyker with a scary knife.
  • Heavy gunner with a chaincannon. Anything that looks like it can lay down a hail of fire at long range but doesn't look like a heavy bolter could work.
  • Butcher, who has a two-handed chain axe but really any oversize or two-handed weapon would do
  • Icon Bearer. I usually give this guy a bolter because Malefic Blade means a chainsword redundant, but you could pick chainsword/BP if you want.
  • Heavy gunner with missile launcher. Niche tech piece you could safely leave at home.

Hopefully this helps you with building up a team! The guy you did was great and deserves to be on the table I think.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

armorer posted:

What size brush are you using when you paint things at this scale? And do you use a magnifying headset of some sort?

i use a size 0 da vinci maestro series 35. its small but with long bristles (long bristles are key!) i dont use magnification, tried it once and didn't find it helpful

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

armorer posted:

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

Nebalebadingdong posted:

:sickos:

ouroborossum is awesome

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

The only question remaining is whether nebalebadingdong shrinks himself or the models.

Shrinking himself would be more economical on the paints. I assume the ray gun works equally well to grow back up to full size.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
What's a good source for present day freaks and weirdos? The kind you'd see at a Health show or a barfight. Not necessarily just "gangsters" although those might fit. I got a couple sculpts from Slow Death Games and they were cool. Wondering what else is out there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
There're some Cyberpunk or Judge Dredd miniatures that might fit the bill.

Like these, these, or these.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what the scaling's like on any of it, though. You could also probably find a 28mm motorcycle gang (probably in pewter) if you looked hard enough.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Test model for my Soulblight Gravelords color scheme is done, I'm pretty sure I like it. For the rank and file, say skeletons, I'll have purple cloth and silver armor with heavy verdigris to bring the teal notes in. For the basing I'm going for an otherworldly black sand beach with snow. The sand looks blacker in person. Feedback welcome!

Muir fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 17, 2024