Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i like that idea, but i think that old yellowed bone colour would stand out too much.

also before anyone says anything im not painting on bare plastic. ive had a couple bad cans of paint lately and tried a brand that specializes in graffiti and everything about it is way better than hardware store paint. they have a primer specifically for plastic and its a clear finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My Spirit Otter posted:

i like that idea, but i think that old yellowed bone colour would stand out too much.

also before anyone says anything im not painting on bare plastic. ive had a couple bad cans of paint lately and tried a brand that specializes in graffiti and everything about it is way better than hardware store paint. they have a primer specifically for plastic and its a clear finish.

I was wondering. What's the brand?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

I was wondering. What's the brand?

its called Montana. theyre a bit shorter than hardware store cans, but i think they even out to the same price. i paid 11 cad and normally pay 16-18 for hardware store stuff. i dont know how available this stuff is, i have a baller local art supply store

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

My Spirit Otter posted:

i grabbed some auxilia to use as imperial guard, and i cant for the life of me decide on how to paint their backpacks and would love some input.

i feel like the choices are either black or metallic. i think black would be too plain and metallic too loud.

What about a very deep, dark red?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

What about a very deep, dark red?

i considered that with the bakelite but i think it with the rest of them so muted in colour, it would draw too much attention and your eyes would always be looking at their backs.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

My Spirit Otter posted:

i grabbed some auxilia to use as imperial guard, and i cant for the life of me decide on how to paint their backpacks and would love some input.

i feel like the choices are either black or metallic. i think black would be too plain and metallic too loud.

Maybe extend the green over more of the main body of them, and use a different color like the black/metallic/bakelite suggestions on some of the smaller panels?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

My Spirit Otter posted:

i considered that with the bakelite but i think it with the rest of them so muted in colour, it would draw too much attention and your eyes would always be looking at their backs.

You could also do a shoulder, and maybe the helmet crest / face shield to call attention back to the face?

The alternative-alternative would be to do the backpack in the same green as the rest of the armor with smaller black/gray/metallic bits on the sections that warrant it, or to use a brown that matches the boot leather.

My only concern with suggesting the brown is: there's almost no value difference between your brown and your green.

For troops that's fine, and on a dark base it'll still pop; but sergeants/commanders/etc. might need a little extra to make them stand out.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 19, 2024

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

My Spirit Otter posted:

by loud i meant shiny/reflective. im going to be using brass for parts of the air pump or whatever it is, but the rest of it is where i have no clue. i feel like even a dark metallic would be too much
Maybe just dark gray. Metal doesn't have to be shiny, in real life or on miniatures.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

armorer posted:

Maybe extend the green over more of the main body of them, and use a different color like the black/metallic/bakelite suggestions on some of the smaller panels?

i think im gonna do this.

thanks everyone, much appreciated.

mellonbread posted:

Maybe just dark gray. Metal doesn't have to be shiny, in real life or on miniatures.

i get ya, but im nowhere near skilled enough to make it read like metal.

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 19, 2024

Wondermoose
Aug 17, 2009
Finished my first ever Warhammer Fantasy unit for Old World, some Knights of the Realm.

Now, on to some peasants!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there's another brand of wargamer acrylics i'd never heard of. has anyone tried huge minis' paints?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Cease to Hope posted:

there's another brand of wargamer acrylics i'd never heard of. has anyone tried huge minis' paints?

I have absolutely no idea, but also I didn't see Turbo Dork mentioned in the OP paint section but one of my local stores carries them. Anyone know if they're decent?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

armorer posted:

I have absolutely no idea, but also I didn't see Turbo Dork mentioned in the OP paint section but one of my local stores carries them. Anyone know if they're decent?

They're mostly known for their color shift paints, which are quite good (though like most color shift, they have specific application requirements and are best airbrushed). Their regular metallics are good too, though not necessarily any better than Vallejo or Pro Acryl or whoever. They're going through an update to their line right now. They have great customer support and the owners are active in their Facebook group (and the mother of one of them is their test painter and answers lots of questions).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
turbodork is for people who love the poo poo out of colored metallics and/or own an airbrush and i am neither

e: i was gonna get to them when i got to metallics though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When did army painter go for a naked-except-for-an-apron-goblin as a branding strategy? Because its working on me.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
He’s been around for a while as stickers and little bits of merch, it’s cute.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bless you goblin paint twink.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lol at the old paint tin hat

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cease to Hope posted:

turbodork is for people who love the poo poo out of colored metallics and/or own an airbrush and i am neither

e: i was gonna get to them when i got to metallics though

Their new remix paints are brushable apparently but I haven't tried them out yet

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

I haven't tried their paints (Because I'm forcing myself to stick largely to Vallejo, though that's still gone a bit sideways), but I've been using some of Huge's basing stuff - the texture paste and the 4-in-1 flock and had liked them

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cease to Hope posted:

I have their airbrush metallics from their Kickstarter but have yet to actually airbrush them. I tried brushing one of the golds and did not care for the coverage but I'm not going to deduct points for an off-label usage. They look promising though and I'm looking forward to having the chance to try them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think the hardest "you just need to paint" skill to learn is paint thickness. It's easy to say "thin your paints" but it's hard to get a feel for how much, and when, and the difference between brands, and the effects multiple layers will have.
Yeah I over-thinned on a bunch of miniatures, lol. It looks cool, but it took like four times as long as it would have if I'd just used basically straight MH pyrole red.

Do any of you have experience with the Turbo Dork paints?

https://turbodork.com/ truly, a goon brand

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Not to yuck someone else’s yum, it’s just that I’m yet to see 28mm minis that look good with colour shift Metallics on them that aren’t purely based on the gimmick.

I bet it looks great on scale model cars

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Yeast posted:

Not to yuck someone else’s yum, it’s just that I’m yet to see 28mm minis that look good with colour shift Metallics on them that aren’t purely based on the gimmick.

The only time I've seen them work well was the Votann Hearthkyn where someone used the metallic shifting paints for their visor sunglasses and it looked extremely cool.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They look very cool sprayed onto the canopy glass of a Votann or Eldar vehicle but I agree that as a base layer they really limit your ability to do more with it.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I’ve got a bottle of Mother Lode here somewhere and I was toying around with the idea of using it as the base armour colour (with gold trim and blue cloth) for either Stormcast or Custodes so I guess I’ll give that a try and report back if it works.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Finished the sergeant for my second infiltrator squad! Now that I'm seeing the pictures on a monitor, there's a couple of things that need touching up, but that's for tomorrow.

Continuing my theme of littering ultramarine parts around my dudes, I call this piece "Sgt. Munin standing over what remains of Brother Finch"

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Yeast posted:

Necrons. Maybe Tyranid chitin?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
OK, question for people who have been doing this long enough to be familiar with the old GW colors. I used to do miniature painting a long while back now, and have been looking to get back into it, but of course all my old GW paints from back then have long since dried up. I can get new paints obviously, but I have some projects I was in the middle of when I stopped painting that I'd prefer to match the original colors on, preferably without needing a bunch of mixing since I don't trust my skill at that until I get some practice back in. First, for simplest answer, any good easy way to reconstitute the paint? Second, failing that, I found an old to new GW color chart, but not sure how accurate it is, so wanted to ask for the colors I need how well they match:

Blood Red -> use Evil Suns Scarlet? Also, would Wild Rider Red work as a good highlight for that?

Shining Gold -> Gehenna Gold and Burnished Gold -> Auric Armour Gold?

Boltgun Metal -> Leadbelcher, Chainmail -> Ironbreaker, and Mithril Silver -> Runefang Steel?

Alternatives from other brands also welcome. Also any general suggestions which brands people recommend these days since I think I will swap in the future; I just know basic basecoating/wash/highlight, so preferably that stuff and not speed paints for right now till I'm good enough to start experimenting again. Thanks for any suggestions, maybe I'll start posting in the oath thread to get me motivated to keep at it (or, knowing my likely skill after this long, maybe the uninspiration thread will be more appropriate, heh :)).

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah things have changed a lot since Blood Red days. Really any of the big brands well do you well. The advice I've always stuck with is only get brands you can buy in your area since you don't want to be in a position where you run out of a paint and get stuck.

Vallejo (Game Colour range has a lot of similar colours), Army Painter, and AK 3rd gen all have huge ranges with good quality paint in dropper bottles. They're all less expensive than GW paints as well.

As for reconstituting paint, you could try buying some medium and add it in, but honestly if it's pretty dried out it's probably not worth it.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 21, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

MadDogMike posted:

OK, question for people who have been doing this long enough to be familiar with the old GW colors. I used to do miniature painting a long while back now, and have been looking to get back into it, but of course all my old GW paints from back then have long since dried up. I can get new paints obviously, but I have some projects I was in the middle of when I stopped painting that I'd prefer to match the original colors on, preferably without needing a bunch of mixing since I don't trust my skill at that until I get some practice back in. First, for simplest answer, any good easy way to reconstitute the paint? Second, failing that, I found an old to new GW color chart, but not sure how accurate it is, so wanted to ask for the colors I need how well they match:

Blood Red -> use Evil Suns Scarlet? Also, would Wild Rider Red work as a good highlight for that?

Boltgun Metal -> Leadbelcher, Chainmail -> Ironbreaker, and Mithril Silver -> Runefang Steel?

Alternatives from other brands also welcome. Also any general suggestions which brands people recommend these days since I think I will swap in the future; I just know basic basecoating/wash/highlight, so preferably that stuff and not speed paints for right now till I'm good enough to start experimenting again. Thanks for any suggestions, maybe I'll start posting in the oath thread to get me motivated to keep at it (or, knowing my likely skill after this long, maybe the uninspiration thread will be more appropriate, heh :)).

Coat d'arms has good matches for the late 90's/early 2000's GW range with mostly the same names (and supposedly to the same formulas, but I suspect they can't get exactly the same pigments anymore for some). Some of them sure feel like a paint from 20 years ago but they're pretty much dead on for colour, and I actually like their blood red more than the other modern equivalents I've tried.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

MadDogMike posted:

I was in this situation and I bought the big Reaper 120-paint set. No regrets, worked out great

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

is it dakkadakka's chart? i use that a lot but it's missing newer paints. plus, army painter and both vallejo lines are right in the middle of a revamp.

you will notice going from blood red to anything else. you're going to have to tweak with mixes to get a good match for finishing/repainting a new model.

the best match for shining gold is going to be AP's greedy gold. gehenna's gold is a very bad match (almost a bronze reddish color) and also ugly as hell

retributor armor is your go-to replacement for burnished gold

literally every company has at least 2-3 silver metallics with varying amounts of grey/black ink mixed in. silver metallics are easy to match and I've never seen the need to have more than two of them, a very bright silver and a dark steel or gunmetal.

the OP has a bunch of advice for which line of paints to pick (and i should add more, been lazy lately.) citadel is still solid but still more expensive than the competition, and there are many lines as good or better than citadel these days. my advice is always to use what you can buy by the individual bottle at a local shop. if you have multiple lines, then it's time to make choices.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Oh I forgot about Two Thin Coats which seems to be well regarded and has a decent range of colours.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Beware than even GWs official color match chart can't be trusted. I needed to replace an old pot of Calthan Brown, which is supposedly now Mournfang brown, but the Mournfang is much darker and more reddish. I went from milk chocolate to wet terracotta.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

Beware than even GWs official color match chart can't be trusted. I needed to replace an old pot of Calthan Brown, which is supposedly now Mournfang brown, but the Mournfang is much darker and more reddish. I went from milk chocolate to wet terracotta.

they mustve changed the recipe. i have a pot of mournfang brown at home thats a couple years old and looks exactly like calthan, not like the paint you get when you google mournfang brown.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Speaking of browns, I’ve adopted the Eavy brown leather recipe of Rhinox/ Black Shade/ Doombull/ Skrag and it is like magic. None of the color look like they should work together but look amazing when they dry.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dreylad posted:

Oh I forgot about Two Thin Coats which seems to be well regarded and has a decent range of colours.

Their colors are ok, but I seriously dislike their dropper bottles. They may have smoothed out the process, but the set I got from their first kickstarter were mostly overfilled with paint leaking out of the top when they arrived, and most of their nozzles got glued to the inside of their caps with dried paint.

Even without that, I've had issues with paint drying in their nozzles because the clearing plug at the top of the cap doesn't reach inside far enough.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Cease to Hope posted:

is it dakkadakka's chart? i use that a lot but it's missing newer paints. plus, army painter and both vallejo lines are right in the middle of a revamp.

Yep, that's the one; appreciated the ideas at least. I don't know that I'm good matching colors by eye (even most of my mixing abilities have been "add varying amounts of white to get highlighting colors").

quote:

the OP has a bunch of advice for which line of paints to pick (and i should add more, been lazy lately.) citadel is still solid but still more expensive than the competition, and there are many lines as good or better than citadel these days. my advice is always to use what you can buy by the individual bottle at a local shop. if you have multiple lines, then it's time to make choices.

By that logic, probably going to be Army Painter since that and GW are the main ones my FLGS carries and I'm a little down on GW (the pots were a pain even when I still used it, dropper bottles seem much easier to work with if I keep the tips clean well enough).

Assessor of Maat posted:

Coat d'arms has good matches for the late 90's/early 2000's GW range with mostly the same names (and supposedly to the same formulas, but I suspect they can't get exactly the same pigments anymore for some). Some of them sure feel like a paint from 20 years ago but they're pretty much dead on for colour, and I actually like their blood red more than the other modern equivalents I've tried.

Wound up going here for the matches to finish my projects, you're right they look pretty drat close at least. I also have gotten them before for different colors and the bottles are definitely better sealed (still have them OK from my old paints). Loved their Enchanted Green metallic, even though I don't think I ever did it justice with my skills:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

MadDogMike posted:

Yep, that's the one; appreciated the ideas at least. I don't know that I'm good matching colors by eye (even most of my mixing abilities have been "add varying amounts of white to get highlighting colors").

By that logic, probably going to be Army Painter since that and GW are the main ones my FLGS carries and I'm a little down on GW (the pots were a pain even when I still used it, dropper bottles seem much easier to work with if I keep the tips clean well enough).

Wound up going here for the matches to finish my projects, you're right they look pretty drat close at least. I also have gotten them before for different colors and the bottles are definitely better sealed (still have them OK from my old paints). Loved their Enchanted Green metallic, even though I don't think I ever did it justice with my skills:

Are those lego lightsavers