Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Ominous Jazz posted:

Are those lego lightsavers

No, they used to have those for Necron guns, just green semi-clear plastic tubes you'd put in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Oh that's okay too

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I legit loved the old clear green necrom bits. A common kitbash back then was to find other colored clear rods of the same size, so you'd see necrons with red or orange guns

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Got some work done on my burgeoning World Eaters this weekend

And now the entire massive force so far

I'm really enjoying painting this scheme so far, it's not too different from my EC colors so I won't mind doing red and bronze ad infinitum

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tried airbrushing Vallejo's "Mecha Color" paint, and I don't like it. They say it's for airbrushing, and sure it kinda works, but it's airbrushing in the same way their primers are. You need a big nozzle and a lot of air pressure to get it to spray nicely, otherwise good luck getting the correct thinner ratio for whatever it is you're using.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That was my take away for them as well. I do not like their mecha line.

I do not like it on a brush

I do not like it, such a fuss.

I do not want it, painter I am.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lostconfused posted:

Tried airbrushing Vallejo's "Mecha Color" paint, and I don't like it. They say it's for airbrushing, and sure it kinda works, but it's airbrushing in the same way their primers are. You need a big nozzle and a lot of air pressure to get it to spray nicely, otherwise good luck getting the correct thinner ratio for whatever it is you're using.

I've had similar experiences. I really like the Mecha Colour black primer (50/50 mix with thinner and a tiny bit of flow improver is super smooth with great coverage) and the Mecha Matte varnish but my bottle of white primer and the actual white colour that I bought for doing Gunpla panels are both kind of garbage. Even after a few minutes on the vortex mixer and thinning to the same consistency the other colours I have use they have pretty poor coverage and tend towards dry tip even with extra flow improver.

I've settled on just using the black primer and then doing my basecoats with either Tamiya Acrylics (with their special thinner) or ProAcryl and Vallejo Metal/Model Colour with regular thinner and that seems to work for me.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

MadDogMike posted:

No, they used to have those for Necron guns, just green semi-clear plastic tubes you'd put in there.

and they were so much better for it

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Super Waffle posted:

I legit loved the old clear green necrom bits. A common kitbash back then was to find other colored clear rods of the same size, so you'd see necrons with red or orange guns
I did bespoke red ones for my Necrons back in the day. They were a pain in the rear end to do, but I loved the way they turned out.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
were they bespokely made from lego lightsabre pieces

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Mercurius posted:

I've had similar experiences. I really like the Mecha Colour black primer (50/50 mix with thinner and a tiny bit of flow improver is super smooth with great coverage) and the Mecha Matte varnish but my bottle of white primer and the actual white colour that I bought for doing Gunpla panels are both kind of garbage. Even after a few minutes on the vortex mixer and thinning to the same consistency the other colours I have use they have pretty poor coverage and tend towards dry tip even with extra flow improver.

I've settled on just using the black primer and then doing my basecoats with either Tamiya Acrylics (with their special thinner) or ProAcryl and Vallejo Metal/Model Colour with regular thinner and that seems to work for me.

The Mecha varnishes are all quite good.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

What do people use for applying texture pastes to bases? In the past the most texture basing I've done has been sand/dirt, where it was easy enough to just use a popsicle stick to smooth some slight ripples across the base and call it good. I'm working on a kill team using Vallejo Thick Mud and a blend of products for snow, and the popsicle stick... is not cutting it for getting natural looking mud. Even less so for getting snow to look right. Do you just use an large, flat synthetic brush or something to apply it? I'm not sure what the intended method is.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I use a silicone clay shaper

You have to look at the base from a few angles to tamp down the icing peaks, though

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A popsicle stick works just fine in my experience, but I use silicone clay shapers so I can poke more efficiently into crevices

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Lostconfused posted:

Vallejo's "Mecha Color"... You need a big nozzle and a lot of air pressure to get it to spray nicely.
Having both of those, it's pretty dang great. I like the line, great for base coating vehicles mechs and spaceships (like it says on the tin), and the metallis steel is fantastic all around. It's got a satin finish, which I use intentionally.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Super Waffle posted:

Beware than even GWs official color match chart can't be trusted. I needed to replace an old pot of Calthan Brown, which is supposedly now Mournfang brown, but the Mournfang is much darker and more reddish. I went from milk chocolate to wet terracotta.

i know i said mournfang, but i meant gorthor and gorthor is definitely a match if youre still looking

goddamn gw paints have silly names

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Trying something new - I like these MCP models a lot, but painting the circles on the shield was an absolute pain in the rear end. I'm not sure the "scuffed shield" look really works, but eh, it was a quick paint job.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

SkyeAuroline posted:

What do people use for applying texture pastes to bases? In the past the most texture basing I've done has been sand/dirt, where it was easy enough to just use a popsicle stick to smooth some slight ripples across the base and call it good. I'm working on a kill team using Vallejo Thick Mud and a blend of products for snow, and the popsicle stick... is not cutting it for getting natural looking mud. Even less so for getting snow to look right. Do you just use an large, flat synthetic brush or something to apply it? I'm not sure what the intended method is.

I've been using this cheap set of stainless steel sculptor's tools and have been happy with it. Based on the earlier responses I might add a silicone shaper to the arsenal because the texture does like to stick to the metal sometimes, but it looks like the metal tips come in more aggressively shaped varieties than the silicone shapers.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I picked up the whole Army Painter fanatic line, and am wondering what other people's experience with them has been like? Obviously I have not used all the colors, but I have used the metallics everyone will use, like the dark metal, gold, etc... I am not sure if it is my brush, lack of shaking the paint, or some other issue, but the metallics seem to be really watery? Has anyone else had that issue? The metallics are "smoother" than GW and other brands, but that almost doesn't work, the big metal flakes kinda make the metal stand out for GW. All the colors I have used so for also seem to be a bit "chalky" for lack of better terms when thinned with water.

Overall, I would give Warpaints Fanatic (based on my experience on about 20 colors out of the range so far) a 3 out of 5. I am doing all my cities of sigmar guys and gals in Fanatic paint to give it a try, but I keep finding myself grabbing GW paints instead.

That being said, the yellows I have used have worked really well, and have way better coverage than GW. So in that aspect, yeah, the fanatic yellows are better and brighter than GW paints. But they also seem more muted in a way. What I have ended up doing is using the fanatic yellow triad/hexad , which ends up with the higlights being really chalky, and then covering the whole thing with a thin layer of Imperial Fist, and it comes out great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The new army painter metallics feel very similar to Vallejo metal color, which is less viscous than the acrilic true metallic metals you're used to. Just don't thin it with anything and don't overload your brush.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I haven't really encountered any being particularly chalky, but the 'bright' colors definitely do lack a little in saturation. But at least they basecoat fairly smooth and quickly so you could top them with a punchier line's paint or ink. Also found the metallics underwhelming, particularly the silver when I actually quite like the old bottle I have of Plate Mail Silver for its coverage and particle fineness.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

darnon posted:

I haven't really encountered any being particularly chalky, but the 'bright' colors definitely do lack a little in saturation. But at least they basecoat fairly smooth and quickly so you could top them with a punchier line's paint or ink. Also found the metallics underwhelming, particularly the silver when I actually quite like the old bottle I have of Plate Mail Silver for its coverage and particle fineness.

Yes, the lack of saturation of the bright tones is what I was thinking, as opposed to chalky.

I have only done a couple models so far, and typically I use a pretty dark color palette, so the yellows I used where on a small pouch, so maybe the highlights will look better on a larger scale item, like a robe.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I painted this happy guy for Wyrd's painting contest. I got 4 votes, which is infinitely better than the 0 I got last time.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
That rules.

What kind of creature is the purple guy?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
It's a 2. Edition Terror Tot, when they were more demon babies than the more beastly 3. Edition sculpts.
They are infant monsters, thrown into the wild to drink blood until they're allowed back into the monster community.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health
Excellent concept, excellent butt cheeks. I'm impressed it doesn't immediately tip over

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
I had to hot glue it to the plate to keep it standing for photos. But it's technically game legal!

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Interrupting your minutely posting for some good ol' fashion heresy (xpost)

Major Spag posted:

You can fit a lot of heresy in this post:

Cataphractii Terminator squad:

Shot of the full squad:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I was ready to be excited about fanatic, checked the price of the full range box a few times, but it was the reviews where multiple painters commented on the consistency and finish varying so much that immediately turned me off them.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
My cheap airbrush booth I bought on Amazon like six years ago finally died. Need a new one.

I remember seeing a review sometime late last year of a “booth” that was just a flat surface sized for like nine fans, which the reviewer said was powerful enough you could use an aerosol spray can or lacquer paints indoors and they’d be fine. I thought the review was by YouTube content creator Barbatos Rex, but I’ve gone through his whole video history and I don’t see it. Does this ring any bells for anyone here?

EDIT: Never mind, found it.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 24, 2024

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Electric Hobo posted:

I painted this happy guy for Wyrd's painting contest. I got 4 votes, which is infinitely better than the 0 I got last time.

You've got my (forums) vote, that thing rules!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Quick advice check. I started painting my Legionary kill team last night, for my own chapter, not anything official. Only got as far as basecoating most of the armor and the head, but put it up for some friends to see how it was looking:

... Got several bouts of feedback of "nice space wolf" or otherwise deciding it was definitely a space wolf model. Which was not the intent at all. (It's Thousand Sons blue, for that matter, making it funnier.)
I still have to do the fur, but I've realize that doing the standard brown/tan fur is going to just read even more heavily as Space Wolf and it's going to reinforce that notion. I'm considering white (or off-white) fur, but is that going to look bad in this case? On other models I have trim that'll be bronze and other places to make it more visibly non-SW, but on this model the only place for that is on the backpack that I barely started on before running out of time. (For that matter, are people just wrong that it looks like a space wolf? SW models are usually a lot paler, but that's examination and not first reaction...)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

SkyeAuroline posted:

Quick advice check. I started painting my Legionary kill team last night, for my own chapter, not anything official. Only got as far as basecoating most of the armor and the head, but put it up for some friends to see how it was looking:

... Got several bouts of feedback of "nice space wolf" or otherwise deciding it was definitely a space wolf model. Which was not the intent at all. (It's Thousand Sons blue, for that matter, making it funnier.)
I still have to do the fur, but I've realize that doing the standard brown/tan fur is going to just read even more heavily as Space Wolf and it's going to reinforce that notion. I'm considering white (or off-white) fur, but is that going to look bad in this case? On other models I have trim that'll be bronze and other places to make it more visibly non-SW, but on this model the only place for that is on the backpack that I barely started on before running out of time. (For that matter, are people just wrong that it looks like a space wolf? SW models are usually a lot paler, but that's examination and not first reaction...)

I mean, removing the normal Imperial symbols and adding fur is pretty Space Wolf. Alternative Space Wolf paint schemes tend toward the plain gray (like the only successor chapter, the Wolfspear, or like Horus Heresy era Space Wolves), but blue isn't that far off. It's not like it's green or red or something. If it were all white or white/red I'd probably get White Scars vibes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You're never going to escape that allegation, every marine with fur is a space wolf.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Muir posted:

I mean, removing the normal Imperial symbols and adding fur is pretty Space Wolf. Alternative Space Wolf paint schemes tend toward the plain gray (like the only successor chapter, the Wolfspear, or like Horus Heresy era Space Wolves), but blue isn't that far off. It's not like it's green or red or something. If it were all white or white/red I'd probably get White Scars vibes.

White Scars successors here, actually :smith:
I'm sticking with the blue and hoping I can distinguish it enough that people don't just assume it's SW. Only a couple models (3 out of 11) have the fur, so hopefully once it's a complete team it'll have less of an effect.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

White Scars successors here, actually :smith:
I'm sticking with the blue and hoping I can distinguish it enough that people don't just assume it's SW. Only a couple models (3 out of 11) have the fur, so hopefully once it's a complete team it'll have less of an effect.

Lean into lightning bolt decorations and that will help push you in the White Scars direction.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also topknots (and dark hair)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Eej posted:

Yeah, the orange hair is definitely not helping you avoid Space Wolves/viking vibes.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Muir posted:

Yeah, the orange hair is definitely not helping you avoid Space Wolves/viking vibes.

Figured it's not. I did the red/orange hair on a model like, 5 years ago and wanted to see if I still remembered how to do it right. Maybe I'll just go over it since I haven't gotten to any of the complex parts yet and it's still thin.

Eej posted:

Models themselves are locked in at this point, already have 9 of the 11 built and primed (with the 10th just missing an arm and also otherwise built), so a bit late for topknots.
Guess I'll see what I can manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

Figured it's not. I did the red/orange hair on a model like, 5 years ago and wanted to see if I still remembered how to do it right. Maybe I'll just go over it since I haven't gotten to any of the complex parts yet and it's still thin.

Models themselves are locked in at this point, already have 9 of the 11 built and primed (with the 10th just missing an arm and also otherwise built), so a bit late for topknots.
Guess I'll see what I can manage.

Freehand on some lightning bolts, I think that'll help a lot.