Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

I bought a 3D printer on Amazon sale and a new timesink hobby has been unlocked. Trying to resist the urge to print a ton of poo poo that I will never get around to painting.

I decided to start with this lil man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

Thanks, it's interesting to hear other people's perspectives. While they're of course better than anything I'll ever do, it's nice to see some of these details and think about how to apply the concepts some day. It's interesting to me that something so important at higher levels of execution is a bit at odds with intro-mini-painting advice, namely how there's so much emphasis on a "base, shade, and highlight" approach to painting including slap chop, zenithal highlighting, contrast paints etc. that it almost teaches you not to create areas of focus on the model.
e: came across a video but lost the link of a pro painter commenting on the GD entries, and one painting element here they called out was that some of the organic elements of the vampire transition too abruptly/don't carry through as far as they should. Particularly the purple tones at the joints

In vaguely-related beginner painter news, color is weird. I'm planning out the colors to use for my first OSL/Grisaille-esque outing and have learned that a number of my intuitions were very wrong. What I thought were shades of yellow are entirely different hues all at the same value, and the actual shades of yellow are different varieties of olive. I somehow thought this while also knowing the contradictory fact that red + yellow = orange.

Bark! A Vagrant fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 30, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Marco Frisoni applies a lot of his fine art experience into his models and he talks a lot about model painting from that point of view. I can't tell you exactly where he talks about what so I guess you should just watch his entire channel!

Less jokingly he does talk a lot about playing with contrast and saturation as well as texture. He'll use rougher brush strokes on cloth or leather so they look like they feel different to the touch from metal or space marine ceramite. It's very much not "base, shade and highlight" but that's because those people are teaching basic painting to get a good result for tabletop gaming. Even if someone isn't explicitly using fine art techniques on their model to produce a display piece a skilled "model painter" is still operating under the same principles of light and colour as anyone else.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I know people hate the painting phase guys, but the person they interviewed sounds incredibly creative and artistically talented https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14fr7Z5R6nw. So it was very interesting to listen to him and how he works.

There are "art techniques" but the big part is also thinking about things differently. He's a sculptor and one of the big things I got from his that you need to work with your medium, for organic, smooth, and round objects it's easier to work with putty when it's soft and malleable to produce the desired effect. And the opposite is true for inorganic, a harder putty that dried provides the sharper edges and planes to create that perception.

It's not some incredible revelation or anything, but you could also probably figure these things out on your own when you spent enough time hobbying stuff and your brain isn't constantly occupied with simply getting the basics of shadow and light correctly.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wow! I just did the lighter trick on the metal nozzle of this citadel glue. You guys weren't kidding! It worked out great!

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Starting progress

I see I need to brighten the area to the right of his outstretched leg a bit, and do something about the back side.

I want to capture two light sources: the lantern with a yellow/orangey light and a much paler moonlight. My initial plan was to use greys for the moonlight, but from my initial attempt (not pictured) getting the greys bright enough to see contrast requires a much brighter grey than I want, and what you see pictured was trying to step up from pure black to very dark grey (with a patch hit with a contrast blue to see what it'd look like). Looking at a couple reference pictures of people carrying lanterns at night, I think I need to work with desaturated blues instead of greys.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Lostconfused posted:

I know people hate the painting phase guys, but the person they interviewed sounds incredibly creative and artistically talented https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14fr7Z5R6nw. So it was very interesting to listen to him and how he works.

There are "art techniques" but the big part is also thinking about things differently. He's a sculptor and one of the big things I got from his that you need to work with your medium, for organic, smooth, and round objects it's easier to work with putty when it's soft and malleable to produce the desired effect. And the opposite is true for inorganic, a harder putty that dried provides the sharper edges and planes to create that perception.

It's not some incredible revelation or anything, but you could also probably figure these things out on your own when you spent enough time hobbying stuff and your brain isn't constantly occupied with simply getting the basics of shadow and light correctly.

Yeah, Valbjorn is awesome and not click-baity. I support him on Patreon, especially since Space Wolves are my main army.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The true servant of Chaos is the wind patterns that manage to gust at the exact moments when I push the spray button on my spray primer can.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
He is r- oh. False alarm, it's just a bunch of mari lwyd jokers in the graveyard again.

I can see a hundred tiny flaws but you have to tie it off sometime. And I'm pretty happy with this little Underworlds team.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Dusted off the cobwebs and had a crack at some Shatterpoint models tonight. I had a blast painting the slightly larger scale.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
The stormtroopers look great! What was your process for the white?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Dead white through the airbrush. Soulblight grey shade. Then Corax white on the raised/flat areas for cleanup and then dead white edge highlights. Only thing to watch is that corax white is very unforgiving so you really need to thin it and let it dry before you come back to it, else you'll get lumps/streaks.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I have gotten to the point we all eventually get to, perhaps

sitting with a power drill in one hand, and a bottle of paint in the other, trying to figure out how to macgyver a vortex mixer

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I don’t get too much time to sit in my paint corner right now, but I think I’m more or less done poking at this guy. Need to do the base now. Really regretting attaching him to the base before doing that.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

tehsid posted:

Dusted off the cobwebs and had a crack at some Shatterpoint models tonight. I had a blast painting the slightly larger scale.

Nice! Shatterpoint is interesting, as they are in fact, a larger scale, but they have realistic proportions, so in some ways, parts of them are actually smaller than 28mm GW stuff.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Shatterpoint Grievous' head is smaller than his Legion one. The legion model looks awful mind.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I'm really happy with how this turned out!

Inspired by abs yeah that's gonna be the theme for my underworld set

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bohemian Nights posted:

sitting with a power drill in one hand, and a bottle of paint in the other, trying to figure out how to macgyver a vortex mixer

Don't do it man... it's only $40 for a vortex mixer: https://www.amazon.com/LABFISH-Vortex-Function-Stainless-Acrylic/dp/B0BWDH285V

and like $10 for a pack of hematite beads

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

I would just buy the vortex mixer, but if you have a stubborn paint and need something in the meantime you could use a ziptie to secure the paint to the outside of a hole saw drill bit, if the bit has holes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftu5UWoI_Rc

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would just buy the vortex mixer, but if you have a stubborn paint and need something in the meantime you could use a ziptie to secure the paint to the outside of a hole saw drill bit, if the bit has holes.

Tape the lid closed, chuck it in the dryer on a no-heat cycle. Do all of them at once for extra agitation.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

me running from the poor fool who took this advice

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The first prototype consisted of an empty cardboard roll of toilet paper and copious amounts of electrical tape- it was a resounding success on my horrible wraithbone pot, but the risk of painting my entire living room with citadel paints in an expressionist style possibly outweighs the benefits of a perfectly mixed pot..

Eej posted:

Don't do it man... it's only $40 for a vortex mixer: https://www.amazon.com/LABFISH-Vortex-Function-Stainless-Acrylic/dp/B0BWDH285V

This is probably the right call, but I live somewhere with insane import tax, so that mixer would probably end up costing closer to $80, as I've been unable to find any domestic vendors- even looked for some nail polish shakers, but same deal there

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

I'm really happy with how this turned out!

Inspired by abs yeah that's gonna be the theme for my underworld set

kick-rear end scheme for a kick-rear end team

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Do you need the beads for the mixer to work? I'm a bit leery of beads as I suspect they're going to jam my droppers.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Z the IVth posted:

Do you need the beads for the mixer to work? I'm a bit leery of beads as I suspect they're going to jam my droppers.

No, a vortex mixer will work without any kind agitator in the pot, but it works better and quicker with than without. And you dont have to worry much about them jamming the droppers tbh, just hold the bottle so its at a slight angle instead of at 90 degrees to your desk and its pretty much a non issue. Obviously if you squeeze and nothing comes out stop squeezing until you've investigated just in case, but thats already true for clogged nozzles too.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

You don't need the beads, though they also aren't going to jam your droppers. Plus if they somehow did you could unjam them with a paperclip end in about two seconds.

Progress shot current then before:

Messy, but the back feels like it's trending in the right direction. Before was dark blue-grey with black shadows; the current one mixes the dark blue-grey with crimson/purple for the shadows, dark blue-grey and dark blue-grey mixed with a saturated blue for the mid-tones, and a blue-grey mixed with a bit of a saturated blue for the highlights.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I got the beads for Scale 75 paints cause they're basically goop in there. Don't need em for anything else that I've seen.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Need is relative, stuff rolling around on the bottom of the bottle helps pickup whatever pigment or medium settled there. You know like the white stuff that tends to settles at the bottom of citadel contrast paints.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin'

Safety Factor posted:

Finished up my first batch of chaos warriors over the weekend. My original test model was really helpful and I was able to modify the scheme a bit to get it where I wanted. For example, I pushed the contrast in the metallics a bit more and deepened the shadows on the cloaks. I was aiming for something I could knock out relatively quickly. There's a fair bit of drybrushing here - the cloaks especially. I still took some time to wet blend things like the horns and the color change on the banner. Speaking of which, I took my first real shot at freehanding on this banner which was definitely a learning experience. So without further ado, here are the models:

Group shots:

Command section:

Mooks with my test model in the middle:

More mooks:

I'm really happy with how these guys turned out. They're tzeentch weirdos so I added some small things like glowing runes on their pendants, the standard bearer has a glowing blue eye, and the champion has orange eyes and fiery runes on his sword to make him stand out. If I have a complaint with these models it's that I wish there was a little less variety in the skins and furs they're wearing just to help streamline things. I think I managed a good amount of variety there though. I also felt obligated to paint them off of their bases just to be able to access certain areas. The cloaks can be difficult to work around otherwise. Of course the shields were separate too. I'll be continuing the general wizard van art theme with future banners. I have some ideas already and I think I'm locked in on my eventual battle standard bearer.

Next up I'll be painting a wizard as I've previously mentioned and then maybe some hounds for something quick and easy before diving back into another batch of warriors. I'm planning 40 of these. :shepface:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That blue is beautiful mate. How did you achieve it?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
buncha 6mm stuff

battlemechs!

medina shops from the lazy forger

gas tank from the lazy forger

scum tanks from iliada games

sand cat from iliada games

ram wagon from the lazy forger

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I'll be the dissenting voice and say yes, you do need the mixing balls for most acrylic paints. The difference in effectiveness and required duration for all but the thinnest of airpaints is drastic.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I'm going to make an order from Pro Acryl because their titanium white is so well regarded and nobody stocks it locally. Are there any other colors from their line that are must-haves?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kylaer posted:

I'm going to make an order from Pro Acryl because their titanium white is so well regarded and nobody stocks it locally. Are there any other colors from their line that are must-haves?

If they sell it separately, the Payne's Grey from Vince's set and the Dark Jade from his set as well. In fact, just get the whole set because every paint in it is a banger.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Can confirm it’s good paint. Just don’t thin it much - it comes pretty good from the bottle as Doobie said

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
It's also very hydrophilic, so I have actually been keeping a double layer of parchment on part of my wet palette for those to live. But I'm a bad person who keeps them on there and tries using paints far past when I should, so grain of salt.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Nessus posted:

Can confirm it’s good paint. Just don’t thin it much - it comes pretty good from the bottle as Doobie said

:woop: I hate thinning so this is a big plus. I know it's easy but it fills me with the feeling that I'm not going to be able to make it consistent batch to batch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kylaer posted:

:woop: I hate thinning so this is a big plus. I know it's easy but it fills me with the feeling that I'm not going to be able to make it consistent batch to batch.
My experience has been that the little bit you’ll get on a damp brush applies ample liquidity on wet palette. I might have to try a double layer tbf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Of parchment on the pallet I mean