Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Disproportionation posted:

Speaking of WW2 stuff, does anyone have any advice for painting (semi-realistic) cockpit canopies? I have a bunch of small 1/200 hurricanes and such which I've just painted the canopies of black-grey cause I'm not sure how to approach them in a way that doesn't look overly exaggerated.

Nobody's going to notice detail that small. Just paint 'em black, do the canopy supports, then gloss coat the glass part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Microsol works wonders for precut waterslide transfers like the kind from GW or Mighty Brush.

On the other hand, I've got some that need to be cut out from Scumb4g and it doesn't matter how much Microsol I slather on them they'll never melt enough to make the edges disappear.

The practical solution to this problem is to varnish and sand a couple of times, but that sucks and takes forever.

Have you tried Tamiya Mark Fit Strong? It's extremely hot, and it'll melt just about any decal you throw at it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a decent airbrush tank combo for $100? Looks like the iwata eclipse is $200 which is a bit much i think

Short answer, no.

Longer answer, a tanked compressor is about a hundred bucks or so by itself, and you probably want a brush that costs about the same to start with. lovely compressors and airbrushes are going to make your life miserable.

Don't buy a $500 Sparmax compressor and an H&S Infinity for your first setup either - those things are nice, but it's not worth it when you're starting out, and you're going to bend a needle or lose a nozzle somewhere along your route to learning to use the tool. Do this with a cheaper brush that's got easy-to-find replacement parts, instead of having to buy a whole new $50 crappy brush.

Those cordless bottle-and-airbrush combos are only good for stuff you'd use a rattlecan for, so if you can't drop something in the $250-ish range right now, just save your pennies a while longer.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Lostconfused posted:

I find airbrushing fun, even when it's only applying primer or a basecoat.

And yeah it takes a lot of practice I think to get to a point where you can comfortably paint with it, or at least I haven't gotten there yet.

Wish I could do more with it.

Here's what you do. Go to your local hobby shop and buy the Tamiya 1/35th Panzer II. It'll cost you between ten and fifteen bucks tops, it goes together like magic, and it's a big boxy thing with flat surfaces and stamped-in detail that's great to learn how to shade on. It even comes with some figures you can test out. It's cheap as can be, ubiquitously available, and the best part is, if you gently caress it up, it's a lovely German tank and the only people who will care suck.

Once you're done with the first paint job, repaint it in increasing garish colors, or hack it up to make it into a very cheap terrain piece.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

There's two general parts to the argument against the Harbor Freight/Canadian Tire/whatever cheap brush.

1) They tend to be a massive pain to clean because they're not very well-engineered, and cleaning is the worst part of airbrushing, so why make that harder on a novice than it absolutely has to be? Quality of life is a huge factor in actually finishing out projects.

2) If you're buying a crappy airbrush for thirty bucks just to use for priming and base coating, and you're planning to buy a nicer brush that will let you actually paint for realsies at 80-100 bucks, why not spend ~$100 instead of ~$130?

Ultimately, if anyone has enough budgetary leeway to buy tiny plastic army figures at a hobby market rate, they have enough money to buy a decent set of tools. That may mean keeping the hobby budget minimal for a month or two to save up for the nicer thing, but buy once, cry once is a pretty real thing when it comes to tools with tight tolerances.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I kept trying but could barely make any difference, I just don't think this Pixel 8 has a very good sensor tbqh. One light or two key lights, move the light closer or father back, turn down the power, etc, the camera keeps doing post processing it thinks is useful which makes it harder to modify and has a weird pixellation. Maybe I need to not use the default camera app.

This is after futzing with the levels in paint.net

Seconding Open Camera if you're using an Android phone. If nothing else, you can set the white balance to manual to get it to stop loving up your values.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

armorer posted:

I've pretty much only painted terrain over the past few years, although a fair amount of it. I have a bunch of craft acrylics, and they're fine for that but pretty lousy for painting minis. To dip my toes in the miniature painting world, I got the Reaper Bones "Layer Up!" kit and found it super intuitive. I'm planning to pick up their "Core Skills" kit as well, mostly so I have some guided projects to work on because I tend to learn pretty well that way.

My question is, from reading the OP, it seems like the Reaper paints are generally well regarded but maybe not as commonly used as the ones specifically called out in the section leading up to that. Is there another offering that one of the paint companies have that compares to these Reaper kits? I found the reaper paint to go on easily, mix well, and generally work for what I was trying to do. I am limited far more at this point by my skills than I am by their paint I think.

I have a bunch of minis to work on as well, stand-alone sets of miniatures from a variety of places and also a ton of boardgames that have minis I could practice on. So while I don't explicitly need the kit, I do think that working through their examples gives me a good sense of how I might go about painting some other minis.

What are you looking for from that kit specifically?

If you just want comparable paint, that's basically everything out there on the market that's not craft paint.

If you want a pre-made kit with some brushes and maybe some thinner, you can get that from a bunch of retailers, though you should probably just buy your own.

If you want a set of pre-constructed triads (shade, base color, highlight) straight from the company, that's harder. I think you're mostly stuck with Reaper, Army Painter, and Two Thin Coats.

I assume there's a GW set out there that has a corresponding tutorial video for beginners, but I don't have enough back catalog on their videos to say for sure.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

armorer posted:

I don't need the brushes, I have quite a few already. What I liked about the kit I went through already is that it gives good color recipes for different sections of the models, and it presents it all in a really cohesive way. It has you paint fabric, leather, chainmail, a few different skin tones, a blade, etc and walks you through which paints work well together as base/shadow/highlight.

So yeah, I like the preconstructed triads and the guidance on the specific minis that ship with the kit. I think once I've painted more models I'll be happy to break loose and just start painting the other minis I have with the paints I will have accumulated by that point.

You can get about half that, ultimately. I'd do a search for Youtube videos on how to paint a particular model or type of model you're enamored of, but beyond that, there's not a lot of sets out there where you open the box and it gives you kind of a paint-by-numbers thing for the model within.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The beat-up synthetic fiber brush that you use for stippling or as a spatula seems like the hobby equivalent of your old pair of jeans with all the holes, where it's just something you've had for ages and you're not fully cognizant of where the thing came from at this point, but you'd never willingly part with it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Akira Toriyama died earlier this month, so I decided to paint up a statuette he designed.

This is very much an old school model kit. Most comes off the sprue in big, solid chunks that you would logically lay out as a person, not a thin shell of weird ribbons cut out of the forms like when you run it through a slicer. Also, I'm pretty sure that the original sculpt was made out of greenstuff, based on the textures that got transferred to the mold. It's pretty charming, barring that drat bag strap outright not fitting no matter what you do to it.

Anyway, painting a big miniature was a lot of fun and I highly recommend it if you can find one you like. Get you a 75mm model or something, it rules.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

e ^ That's awfully thick. My titanium white is probably a little thinner than most of my other ProAcryls.

Monument's Faded Plum and Dark Plum are extremely good desaturated light purples and rich purple-reds, respectively. The Royal Purple out of the Vince set is okay, but I'd rather spend a couple more bucks and get a gigantic thing of dioxazine purple gouache that I'll never run out of.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

VMA Steel (71.065) is a pretty good general-purpose silver, but yeah, their regular lines are kinda underwhelming when it comes to metallics. VMC looks drat gorgeous in the silver ranges, though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Are they still working on becoming the official Rosemary distributor for the US? I heard the rumor, but I can't actually find anything official from Monument on the subject.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

A decal setting solution of some type is not utterly necessary, but it's kind of like a decent sable brush versus whatever synthetic you can grab at the local big box store. It's a huge quality of life increase.

Though if you get Microsol/set over one of the JP solutions that come in a fat, heavy glass bottle, maybe tape them down or find a holder for them or something. I've never used an entire Micro-etc bottle because I've always knocked most of it over, repeatedly.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I tried decals yesterday and spilled the microsol bottle all over the place and it doesn't smell great

Edit-typo

I wasn't kidding about those drat bottles. A long, thin, open-topped bottle for a low-viscosity fluid is a bad idea, dammit.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sixty clanrats, or, no good photos, they're clanrats.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Yeah, I just bought a bunch of pigments for use in making paints from scratch and they've been great for any modelling task you care to name. You can buy a couple of pots the size of a foundation container in an array of colors. It'll give you more pigment than you'll be able to use in a lifetime, plus you can mix the stuff to make your own shades. Mine came from https://earthpigments.com/

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Well, poo poo. I'm a little intimidated going after Light Show Belakor now, but I also painted some Chaos gremlins.

I did Hellboy so I could figure out how to do this one.

Lessons learned:

If you do a lot of effects on your face with inks, let them cure over night instead of varnishing over them in the next couple of hours, because they will reactivate and run.
Edge highlighting on pink foam is really hard to make look nice. I'm going to try to seal the stuff with some thinned mod podge next time, because those edges are ratty as hell.
Purple continues to be the all-purpose Chaos shade color.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Are the Vallejo color-shift paints any less awful about turning to chunks of latex in the tube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

For USians, Spraygunner is running a $50 off promotion for their specialty H&S Infinity lines. You can get a Chameleon 2023, Kyiv or Giraldez version for a bit cheaper with the checkout code 34V28ZEEYVJM.

They still aren't cheap, but fifty bucks is fifty bucks.