Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Star Man posted:

AK Interactive used the Holocaust for paint tutorials and setting in articles produced by them. It was met with a lot of criticism. I think whether or not the company's staffed by neo-nazis or if they're just absolutely clueless is an open question, but it probably explains any lacking presence of AK Interactive products in guides and discourse.

I don't really think its that as much of a boneheaded decision that whole thing was. Streaking grime is still a super popular product that you see a lot of in the hobby space.

There's a few channels that do dabble in AK Gen 3. Cult of Paint comes to mind most readily. The Painting Phase talked them up a bit after getting sent some product. They pop up on vince's tutorials. They're known for doing one of the best whites (not dodging the neo nazi allegations there lol)but are otherwise kind of just standard paints that don't seem exciting enough to build a youtube clickbait video around. You don't really see Kimera pop up much any more because everyone has done the only video you can really make about them.

I just don't think they have figured out their marketing for the mini community as well as Army Painter, Monument, and Duncan has. Even with their main visible successful product streaking grime they mishandled the relationship with the main channel known for popularising it to the point he started his own enamel wash line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Nessus posted:

Are there any like, weather tips for spray primer? It's been a long time and I usually did this poo poo at the FLGS when I did it the first time around. I also assume this can of Krylon is perfectly servicable despite not having been sanctified by the God-Emperor

Mostly key is you want the can itself to be room temp / warm so I like to put it in a bowl of hot water (from tap not boiled) for about 4-5 min. Make sure its not raining or too cold out. Its never warm enough in the UK for me to think if there's any issues that end of things.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

it entirely depends on how many gems do you have to paint and how much time do you want to spend.

the classic way looks best but if you're painting a squad of five aspect warriors who have 3-4 gems on them each with some being incredibly tiny? You don't even really need a metallic under with some contrast paints to get it gem looking

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Yeast posted:

Speaking of Monument hobbies, it actually looks like they’re debuting 3 new sets at Adepticon:

A gold NMM set

Rogue Hobbies’ punch you in the face bright colours set

& an adepticon branded set with a bunch of awesome browns, oxides and holy poo poo, I can’t believe they actually did it, finally, a somewhat satin black.

Now all I need to do is check how much a round trip plane ticket from Melbourne Australia to Chicago is and-

:smith:

They've said they'll be added to the regular range so just need a bit of patience! very excited about them!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

great big cardboard tube posted:

Super long and not informative post, tl;dr is if you want to help me out look at my list and tell me if I'm stupid or could make better choices.

Army Painter is releasing a new paint line which has got pretty great reviews and have a starter set coming out which includes a wash so you can consolidate a little bit there.

Dominion is a good deal if you love every single model but don't buy just because of volume. You'll have a better time painting stuff you really like the look of even if it isn't as efficient price per model. 20 hobgrot slittaz are just filler and not really that fun to work on.

There is a big AOS reboot coming in a few months which might catch your eye more.