Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I do not own brush soap and never have. But on the other hand, most of my brushes are hosed.

EDIT: I also disagree with the photography advice in the OP, dark or black backgrounds are much better to photograph against.

Anyway, here's the extremely tiny men and tanks that I've been working on this year.

Leggy-o Audax

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the_seventh_cohort posted:

I'm really happy with how this guy turned out

owns, love the red and fleshy pinks against the green.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Takuan posted:

The new thread's making me feel like participating. I need to work on my photography setup to make the lighting less harsh.

A Blooper

SCP-999

SCP-001

these are great, did you sculpt them?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Guildencrantz posted:

Does anyone have a good method for doing rusted/weathered painted metal? I'm getting the appropriate look on the bare metal parts of my Necromunda terrain with a mix of the typhus/ryza method and pigment powders, but once in-universe paint is involved I'm pretty lost. I'd rather not gently caress around with chipping medium unless there's really no other way.

I undercoat a rust brown, then a coat of whatever colour you want the paint to be. If I'm feeling fancy, I then apply patches of off-white to edges and any surfaces that would show wear, usually with a sponge or brush. This represents an in-universe primer or undercoat showing through. You can skip this step tbh, but it does add a bit of depth, and you could get an interesting effect with multiple different colours, implying that it has been painted and repainted over the centuries.

I then hit the center of those patches with the rust brown (or apply new ones if I skipped that step), trying to keep a little around the edges but not worrying too much if I go over onto the original colour. This is where the metal has been exposed long enough to rust. You can also apply some orange or typhus or whatever technique you want at this point to make it look rusty.

Then in the center of the larger patches/scratches, I stipple/brush on some metallic - this is where the rust has flaked away to show metal that hasn't had time to corrode yet. Sometimes I also add metallic scratches over the base colour to represent new damage that hasn't rusted at all. I don't have any pigments or whatever, so I then use watered down rust-brown and/or typhus corrosion to add streaks from the weathering to represent where water has carried flakes of rust down over the paint, and generally grubby it up a bit.

Ends up looking like this (I didn't do the under-paint stage on these)

I did these years ago now, if I had to do them again I'd dial back the metallic on the scratches a bit to make them look less fresh.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Kylaer posted:

It is not well painted, but it is fully painted. I need to look at some paint schemes instead of just grabbing random colors. That also isn't its actual base, I've got some fancy ones printing and I'll see which one looks best for it.

Red over a white undercoat is hard - I'd suggest starting with a brown, then applying two thin coats over the top. Or, if that's a contrast paint, try to work on your brushstrokes to keep the surface smooth, and avoid pooling on flat surfaces. In either case, another thin coat might help to smooth out the red finish you have now.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Yeah, I used a Black Templar contrast layer as a base coat for my warhound titan, with the plan to stipple red over the top. Black Templar has extremely good coverage for a contrast paint, but even then I noticed it was patchy in places (which was fine for my use but not great if I just wanted it to be black)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I've never used their paints, but Army Painter tones are quite good.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nancy posted:

Out of what I've tried I've only ever been happy with GW metallics, but I hate their pots.

:hmmyes:

It's almost annoying how good GW metallics are.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Alpha Legion Master of Executions-

"The sword is a distraction, he kills with the knife."

owns owns owns

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

this is great

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Old world xpost

Exactly one month ago today a friend asked me if I wanted to play some Old World, it seemed neat and he had found his old minis deep in his basement. I replied that sadly I did not have a Old World army.

Since then I have painted many dwarves.

purple is an unusual colour for dwarfs but this absolutely slaps

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I think the hardest "you just need to paint" skill to learn is paint thickness. It's easy to say "thin your paints" but it's hard to get a feel for how much, and when, and the difference between brands, and the effects multiple layers will have.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Bretonnian Sorceress

Did you follow Louise Sugden's tutorial for these weapons?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I was going through my stuff the other day, and found this lil guy

He was originally painted for a Christmas-themed challenge in the Oath Thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

some 6mm tanks from iliada games

these are great as always but my hot take is that the cartoony sand dunes on the bases detracts slightly from the paint job on the tanks.