Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I like to put paint on the miniature. Sometimes even multiple layers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
First time getting into paint conversion from Citadel to Vallejo Game Color and I've been using the github sheet, as well as the Hobby Color Convert app.

Is it just me or are the paints totally different? Like not even subtly lighter or darker, but entire colors missing from a mix. I even added Dawnstone to my own pallet and compared it with StoneWall Grey from Vallejo, and they don't compare at all. What makes it worse is how different all of these comparisons are across multiple apps. Very confusing.

A simple leather recipe from Citadel goes Dryad Bark -> Rhinox Hide -> Mournfang Brown -> XV-88/Skrag Brown. The color comparison to Vallejo is just off. I'm also not very good at mixing.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with my Vallejo Game Color batch. Some of the colors don't seem to want to play well with becoming a shade or glaze. If I add a single brush load of water, the pigment in the paint begins to almost dissolve?

Here's how it looks:

I tested some old Citadel paints (base and layer) and they don't have the issue, no matter how much water I add:

The split pigment effects the model when it dries. It kind of looks like little dots all over where I applied it.

I've tried mixing with steel balls, but that doesn't seem to help. I know you can use a medium instead of water, but should I have to? I rarely see anyone use mediums when glazing or watering down the paint, and again, the Citadel paints (4 years old at this point) don't do that.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Bohemian Nights posted:

Maybe everyone have already seen it, but the golden demon winners for adepticon are out

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/24/golden-demon-2024-winners-revealed-at-adepticon/

The slayer sword piece is absolutely insane

Wow, those look unreal. How do you even get paint to be so smooth.

Also like 90% of the metals are NMM. I guess I should add that skill all the way down on my list of things to learn...

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The Tamiya plastic cement is a game changer compared to the Citadel glue I've been using. Unfortunately it smells like gasoline and requires double container storage, but its so easy to use and I've yet to have any of that annoying stringy residue found with the Citadel brand.

VVV I have a very sensitive nose!!!!

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 9, 2024

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Cardboard Fox posted:

I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with my Vallejo Game Color batch. Some of the colors don't seem to want to play well with becoming a shade or glaze. If I add a single brush load of water, the pigment in the paint begins to almost dissolve?

Here's how it looks:

BTW if anyone else is having this problem with Vallejo Game Color: I fixed it.

The issue is with my wet pallet. It has wayyyy too much water in it. Using a new pallet that doesn't have traces of water droplets everywhere solved the paint splitting issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Spanish Manlove posted:

Before you put paint on the palette, did you wipe off the excess water on top of the paper?

No since I just assumed I would use it to thin the paints, but this is Vallejo we're talking about, which doesn't require much thinning.

With the new palette, I make sure there's no additional water on the paper.