Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The sum total of my painting experience is four and a half miniatures. 2, and the half, of those were painted over 20 years ago when I was playing with others and using borrowed minis until I picked up my own right before our group suddenly disbanded. The other two were last week as I had the most ridiculous idea ever to suddenly paint the miniatures from a boardgame. Just laying that out to provide context for where I'm coming from.

Is there any useful videos that show basic painting techniques to get to a satisfactory looking miniature? For me, that's been surprisingly hard to find. Lots of videos have tons of issues that prevent that like:

1) I'm going to use an airbrush, but it isn't necessary. Except it is for me, because if I try and emulate the method and it doesn't come out right I have no idea if it's a experience/skill/practice issue or a lack of an airbrush issue.

2) Just use this quick hack (washes, contrast paint, etc...). Not useful for actually teaching me how to get better and instead focused on whatever specific trick is at play. Nothing wrong with using those tools, but if I've got no clue how to make a quality product without them how in the hell am I supposed to learn how to use them effectively for more than that specific quick hack?

3) Here is this tutorial, but we're going to speed it up 10x going through the movements or jump cut past everything after a few brush strokes, have fun following along.

Probably the most useful actual video I've found so far was from the Squidmar Miniatures youtube channel who had a video on doing manual highlighting and shading from a mid-tone instead of using washes (or layering up/down entirely). Nothing else has yet to convince me I've actually learned something useful to build a good foundation from instead of being a gimmick.

Bonus points if someone can recommend something useful using oil paints. I get that they are a very niche option but all the video tutorials for using oil paints seem to require knowing what you're doing with acrylics first and using acrylic paint for various things first before getting to the oil paints. From my perspective that seems insane, why would I use oils if they require me learning and using acrylics first? I'd just spend the time getting good with acrylic. The few oil only examples I found are mainly from James Wappel who does great work, but he runs through the basics to get the specific more advanced thing he's working on and I haven't found a good explainer of the basics in his archive yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone familiar with the Jo Sonja line of paint?

When I bought my first bottles of paint (outside of Game Xpress and Speedpaint 2.0 to try out that specific style) I went with some Pro Acryl and Scale75. But as I only bought what I thought I'd need but actually didn't really know what I needed, mostly just buying something I thought I'd need but it turns out it didn't match the color in my mind or not realizing some small part was supposed to be a different thing than what I'd planned on using for that part, I thought if I'm going to do this long term I should just properly learn some basic color mixing and stick with a small subset of paints. Which then led to the rabbit hole of pigments and challenges of mixing miniature paints beyond simple highlights. Has been fun to learn even if nothing else and now I'm thinking of getting some Golden SoFlat paints (I did buy their cheaper starter set of six paints already) but while I was debating buying more I found a reference on reddit to using Jo Sonja paints, and have only found a couple other instances of people referencing them in conjunction with painting miniatures. Normally I'd just dismiss it at that point, but Jo Sonja paints are pretty drat cheap and appear (from the few discussions I found) to be of higher quality than basic cheap hobby craft paint. Considering the price of the Golden SoFlat small bottles if the Jo Sonja paints are passable if not especially great then I'll take it as a new painter considering the difference.

And unrelated side question, white seems to be a big sticking point that's commonly recommended to a few hyper specific brands/color. However as far as I can tell the problem is people want mixing/zinc white, and yet I've not seen a single person use those terms and continually recommend others to solve the problem that mixing white is specifically meant to solve. Why? I legitimately don't get it. I mean sure a tube of mixing white is going to cost more but it's not an entire paint set, it's a single tube to solve the problem of a white your paint with and a white you mix for highlights.