Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have any advice on using pigments or how to lock them into bases? Im planning on using some for dust build up on some bases but not quite sure how to do it yet. I am planning to watch some tutorials online later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My new airbrush arrived today and I'm hella excited.

Though I'm off on a trip soon and can't use it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have much experience with desert bases? I'm making some arrakis bases for some dune miniatures and am planning on using the ak terrains sandy desert and using a sculpting tool to make gentle sand waves.

I did think about incorporating other elements into the bases, stones? But I'm not sure how to go about it. I've been using references of the Sahara and parts of back home (Somalia) as reference but I'm not sure how well it would translate into 28mm.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeast posted:

yep, pretty much nailed it. That stuff rules. remember you can also shade it with washes, and highlight it too!

Once you've done your basing I'd also highly recommend using a pigment powder on your figures feet to marry it to the base even more.
Yeah i'm planning to paint over it and really use some orange and purples on it rather than the stock colour. So i'll use it and prime it.

Nessus posted:

Arrakis also had its share of black stone which would also be a logical place where poo poo happened, since running around in the desert seems like it calls Shai-Hulud, who can be portrayed by slapping a flexible heating duct on the table.

So that could add visual diversity, even if maybe not to each individual base.
I'll give that a try, thanks :)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Shatterpoint Grievous' head is smaller than his Legion one. The legion model looks awful mind.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That blue is beautiful mate. How did you achieve it?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is pigment binder mostly thinned down pva? Reason I'm asking is I have a pot from years ago I've never opened and it doesn't go off or anything and should be good to use?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is there any difference between MicroSet and MicroSol vs Vallejo Decal Fix and Medium?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

"Huh, it's all right angles and straight lines. It can't be that bad."
20 minutes later...

There was an attempt. The paint is already thick enough on this shoulder that I'm just leaving it. I'm not stripping the whole guy for lopsided freehand.
If my brush would stop fraying on me every 5 seconds that would really help. Also if Thousand Sons Blue was not the most transparent "base" paint GW offers.
For poo poo like this I'd highly recommend buying or making a stencil unless you're one of those freehand wizard lunatics.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I bought an Infinity Giraldez and it's so lovely as an airbrush I don't want to put paint through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Nebalebadingdong posted:

painted an ice base

How did you paint that ice base? Looks fantastic.