Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Are there any like, weather tips for spray primer? It's been a long time and I usually did this poo poo at the FLGS when I did it the first time around. I also assume this can of Krylon is perfectly servicable despite not having been sanctified by the God-Emperor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKH98iq6Xhg

Here's a pretty good video. My main tips would be to keep the mini and the spray can warm and use a bucket of warm water to warm up the can for a good 10-20 minutes. When you're done spraying, make sure you have a well ventilated but still warm and dry place inside your garage or home or wherever that the mini can off gas and cure in for a couple hours or a day or whatever. Your local humidity and temperature, especially wherever you leave the mini to cure, will have a huge impact on cure times and results.

Also, make sure you shake the bejesus out of the spray can for a good three to five minutes if it's been a long time since you last used it. Also make sure whatever primer you're using, if it's not a miniature primer, is flat, I made the mistake of buying a white rustoleum primer that wasn't flat and it performs like poo poo where my flat black rustoleum primer works great

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

Oops my dark ivory paint turned black on the wet palette overnight. I’m guessing this is pigment separation but would it still be good

In general how long will paint stay useful on the wet palette anyway?

Did you try using something to stir it back up again? This happens to me a lot on my wet palette and most of the time they reconstitute just fine. It's actually interesting to see the different separated pigments in the paint, like what constitutes each colour mix.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ominous Jazz posted:

airbrushing looks pretty for some things, but i have an apartment and cats :(

You can get downdraft/spray booths with an exhaust vent going outside a window, so you don't need to worry about it. I also have an apartment

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Amazon seems straight-up cursed for some airbrush-related products. The new spray booth I ordered was clearly stripped for parts by someone who swapped in their broken parts and returned it. Same thing happened with the first compressor + airbrush combo I ordered.

Well, you can always report it and get a replacement one at least!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

the_seventh_cohort posted:

Finished up Ushoran

:drat: That's awesome!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Super Waffle posted:

Anyone have tops using washes on large flat areas? Been painting a rhino for my Iron Warriors and my usual recipe of prime black -> AP Gunmetal spray -> Nuln Oil is just not working. The Nuln just pools all weirdly and the panels just look messy and splotchy and dirty in a not good way.

Use glazes instead so you have more control on the flat panels, and save the wash to use as a pin wash in the recesses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

uhhh the answer is "dont wash large flat areas" as that goes against the entire purpose of washing to begin with: to put darker stuff in the recesses to help the eye distinguish where one shape ends and another begins

Yo, there's no need to be aggro, we all started off life on Earth not knowing the ins and outs of mini painting, and we're all at different skill and knowledge levels itt. You should go easier on the newbies :shobon: