Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Painted my first miniature: a Leonidas smartgunner from SYNDICAT, along with a C4T multipurpose robot.

I went to Adepticon with the guy who sculpted/printed the mini and he talked me through the basics of priming, paint thinning, etc.

He printed a hundred of them and handed them all out in these little gachapon balls, which were an instant hit and doubled as a storage container to stop them getting damaged if you stuck them in a pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Thank you! They're eventually going to be a full series of printable STL files, once the developer converts the rest of his 3D models.

You can already get files for some of the older minis, one from each faction. I'm painting the Haomao next, I just have to get my setup figured out at home.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

great big cardboard tube posted:

Super long and not informative post, tl;dr is if you want to help me out look at my list and tell me if I'm stupid or could make better choices.
If you don't have one you should consider getting one of those painting handles with a little clamp on the end for holding miniatures. It's not essential but it makes everything easier when you can just grab a handle rather than having to awkwardly pinch the base with your fingers, especially if you have to rotate the mini at an awkward angle.

My friend got me the Citadel one at Adepticon, it has a little spring loaded clamp that works fine. I have also seen brands with an adjustable vise on the end. I'm sure people here with more experience could tell you which is best for various use cases.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Some more miniatures.

Leonidas Smartgunner and Haomao Assault Trooper from SYNDICAT, rollerwomen from Slow Death painted in Infinity Franchise colors, and some Weird Vietnam War guys by Crucible Crush that I got as a freebie back at Gencon 2019.

Painting faces is the hardest part. The basic principles (wash to fill in the nooks and crannies, paint to highlight the important parts) are simple but getting the tiny details right is easier said than done. Placing a pupil in a single eyeball takes me multiple tries and it's going to take a lot more before I can do it consistently.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
That's cool, he looks like the Space Jockey.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Most stores here just carry the usual spread of Warhammer/Star Wars/Marvel/5E, but sometimes they have a few Reaper minis tucked away in the corner.

I think this "Space Henchman" is supposed to be wearing an armor vest, but I like him better in a wifebeater that's barely held together at the stomach.

Wangsucker 69 posted:

There are some true badasses in here, super inspiring! I'm a newbie with no artistic skill but here is something I dont hate that I was painting this week :D

That rules. The way you layered the paints gives a good impression of the different textures on the ground/robes/bells/etc.

What's the model?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
What's a good source for present day freaks and weirdos? The kind you'd see at a Health show or a barfight. Not necessarily just "gangsters" although those might fit. I got a couple sculpts from Slow Death Games and they were cool. Wondering what else is out there.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Woah, cool patina.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

My Spirit Otter posted:

by loud i meant shiny/reflective. im going to be using brass for parts of the air pump or whatever it is, but the rest of it is where i have no clue. i feel like even a dark metallic would be too much
Maybe just dark gray. Metal doesn't have to be shiny, in real life or on miniatures.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
That rules.

What kind of creature is the purple guy?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Working my way through the Reaper Henchman and Hirelings box. I'm already in love with this set, the poses are great and the level of detail is just right. These are supposed to be hired goons but I'd use them for player characters any day of the week.

I'm going to pick up my first metallics this weekend since the rest of the set has a lot of exposed armor and weapons. Also a thin file for removing the plastic seams (I thought I could get away with just using a nail file but it's way too big). Would have been good to do that before I painted these, but if I made any more excuses I never would have gotten started.

Kylaer posted:

I grind onward.
The color scheme reminds me of the old Lego spaceman line, which is very cool.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I like the blue energy coming out of the dead guy.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
it's a little on the nose but I dig the cannon completely covering Jesus' face

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I finished the Reaper Henchmen and Hirelings box, just in time for today's DCC game to be cancelled and the group effectively disbanded. But I bought this set primarily because I thought it would be fun to paint, and I was right. Thank you to everyone who offered advice on my earlier work.

The Muscle

Ranged Combat

Lighting

Baggage Handlers

I used the Scale75 starter paint set augmented with some Proacryls. Some of the Scale paints have bad coverage and they basically don't blend at all once you apply them to a mini. I don't know if that's inherent to the paint or if they started to separate/degrade at some point between Adepticon and now. I assumed it was user error on my part until I picked up the Proacryl Yellow Ochre on the recommendation of a friend, because everyone said the Scalecolor yellow sucked even when we were painting at the con. The Proacryl paints (I also got their silver and bronze) behave like the ones you see in painting tutorials, rather than immediately separating when you add the tiniest drop of water. I don't mind the starter paints being a little scabby in some applications, it gives the cloth an interesting texture. But for hard surfaces that are supposed to be uniform it's a drag.

I love this set. It has the perfect blend of realism, fantasy, comedy and seriousness. The characters are doing things that reflect the typical RPG play experience. Arguing over the map, carefully searching for traps and overloading themselves with loot while the fighters stand at attention, waiting for these nerds to fix their poo poo so they can find something to kill. Next I think I'll order the rest of the Reaper henchmen who didn't make it into the box. There's a halfling and a goblin and some other chumps overloaded with items. Might get some Reaper paints too just to bump the order over the free shipping threshold.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
That's cool. Are the horns coming out of the eye sockets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Frog Act posted:

Thanks! Any suggestions for how to best do that?
No idea if this fits with your workflow, but if you prime minis in black you can get basic highlights/shading by just not filling in every nook and cranny when you paint.

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 13, 2024