Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

Yes another pot of acrylic paint will surely fix me

You may already have that color of paint, but do you have that color of paint?

I didn't know that was going to be exactly what I needed to see today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SuperKlaus posted:

I'm trying the alternate time-saver gemstone painting methods seen here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUBtItceuec
(Duncan using Citadel Gemstone paints)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ag_v_I552M
(Juan Hidalgo incidentally using Contrast paint over silver as part of a broader video; couldn't actually find videos of anyone directly discussing contrast over silver)

And it is just not working for me. Primarily both methods say it's important to start at the *bottom* of the gem and brush smoothly up, but these are thin paints; I'm just getting gravity causing them to pool in ugly ways and not the richer color at the top "look at that, you take the brush along there and there it is" Duncan got.

I'm not adverse to learning the traditional method and I know that Juan's method involves some layers and highlights so it's not even a ton different from traditional. I'm just confused how they get the results they do with the method they describe.

I haven't a lot of success witht the gemstone paints or contrast over silver.

What has always worked for me is brushing slightly thinned Tamiya Clear Colors over silver or gold. GW clears work in a pinch, but I have a harder time getting the coat consistent.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Becklespinax posted:

Something I really struggle with is maintaining focus on a project beyond a week or so. I've been picking at this piece for 3.5 weeks and reached a block where I just want to call it done. I think I'm happy with it overall.

I did have a lot of fun building the base, but word of warning with those paper plants - they're exceptionally fragile and large ones really could do with using florists wire or something similar to support the stems if you try them!

Yeah, I'd be overjoyed to call that mini 'done' Really nice work.

Here's my maximum effort, minimum quality (I couldn't find a penny):

Only registered members can see post attachments!