Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

the version of that I've wound up preferring is over white rather than metallics, still more than bright enough and gives a smoother result on small things like marine eye lenses. you can also do underpainting tricks (e.g. paint it in the classic gem style but b&w, then tint it with the clear) and it's really easy to get a nice gradient with just a normal brush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

PoptartsNinja posted:

What do you think? I think I'll probably save the demon head for a Cerastis Lancer, but I'd like to fish for some opinions while I wait for things to ship.

not quite the same thing but having been working on a possessed titan for AT lately, I'll say that the bitey khorne look with the hanging cables and poo poo is a lot of fun to convert. definitely something to find an excuse to try even if it isn't for this

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

MadDogMike posted:

OK, question for people who have been doing this long enough to be familiar with the old GW colors. I used to do miniature painting a long while back now, and have been looking to get back into it, but of course all my old GW paints from back then have long since dried up. I can get new paints obviously, but I have some projects I was in the middle of when I stopped painting that I'd prefer to match the original colors on, preferably without needing a bunch of mixing since I don't trust my skill at that until I get some practice back in. First, for simplest answer, any good easy way to reconstitute the paint? Second, failing that, I found an old to new GW color chart, but not sure how accurate it is, so wanted to ask for the colors I need how well they match:

Blood Red -> use Evil Suns Scarlet? Also, would Wild Rider Red work as a good highlight for that?

Shining Gold -> Gehenna Gold and Burnished Gold -> Auric Armour Gold?

Boltgun Metal -> Leadbelcher, Chainmail -> Ironbreaker, and Mithril Silver -> Runefang Steel?

Alternatives from other brands also welcome. Also any general suggestions which brands people recommend these days since I think I will swap in the future; I just know basic basecoating/wash/highlight, so preferably that stuff and not speed paints for right now till I'm good enough to start experimenting again. Thanks for any suggestions, maybe I'll start posting in the oath thread to get me motivated to keep at it (or, knowing my likely skill after this long, maybe the uninspiration thread will be more appropriate, heh :)).

Coat d'arms has good matches for the late 90's/early 2000's GW range with mostly the same names (and supposedly to the same formulas, but I suspect they can't get exactly the same pigments anymore for some). Some of them sure feel like a paint from 20 years ago but they're pretty much dead on for colour, and I actually like their blood red more than the other modern equivalents I've tried.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

ha, was going to say the Scale Modellers Supply pigments are good if you happen to be somewhere they're available... appears to have been discontinued since I last checked. oh well, at least I'm not likely to run out of the ones I have anytime soon?