Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
FIRST! (model pics in the new thread)

An Iguana gear (light mech) for Heavy Gear Blitz. I'm usually good about writing down my painting notes and posting on my blog so I can find them, but I totally spaced out the previous camo recipe I used on my other stealth gears, so just winged it. It came out more intense and I'm not quite as happy with it, but it'll work.
From this angle and with the macro lens, you can see the hole I accidentally drilled through the gun when pinning it, but which I literally can't see any other time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Finally figured out my camo colors (Reaper Faded Khaki, AP Scaly Hide, AP Monster Brown) But because I am dense and must learn everything at least twice, I forgot that it looks better with all the stripes in the same orientation. Got one model left in this batch, so still time to get it right.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I thought for a long time that I read to relax (averaged ~60 novels a year for more than a decade) and painted when relaxed, but the pandemic taught me I was totally backwards and it turns out I paint to relax and read when relaxed. As such, for more reasons than just the quarantine, I've dropped to maybe 30 novels a year but I'm painting a ton more models. Also like assembling models, the more complicated the better; give me your multipiece metals and I'll happily pin and modify them. Also love a good game.

Basically I like every aspect of wargaming.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Star Man posted:

AK Interactive used the Holocaust for paint tutorials and setting in articles produced by them. It was met with a lot of criticism. I think whether or not the company's staffed by neo-nazis or if they're just absolutely clueless is an open question, but it probably explains any lacking presence of AK Interactive products in guides and discourse.
I remember trying to figure that out when it all happened, and the impression I got was that the company was a lot of young edgelords, and I find that hard to hold against someone as long at they grow out of it. Was it a one off, or the start of a pattern? (genuinely asking, I don't follow hobby drama much)

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 29, 2024

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I wonder if that's partly a language barrier, like they're more talked about in their own country and the greater Spanish speaking hobby space?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

And Vallejo. Spain has a really big scale model community. I only having passing conversational Spanish, so I don't hang out in those parts of the internet often, but I routinely run across Spanish language resources and tutorials for models.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Thinking everyone willing to play the bad guys is endorsing them is hella lame.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Finished a batch of Southern Republic mechs for Heavy Gear. You can see the first camo patterned one middle-right where I had the wrong colors. Middle-left I had the application of those colors wrong. Middle center is the one I'm happiest with. The guys on the wings are just grunts. Decals and acrylics need a day or two to cure before I matte varnish and base them. Scored a deal on a used box of more of the nice metal ones on ebay, excited to get that and build some more of these. The simplest of this lot was 9 metal pieces, about half needing pinned.

These models are from an overtly fascist faction though, so I guess I should just get an 88 tattoo now.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

The game is basically Super Robot Wars but everything is scaled to between 10 and 20 feet tall and takes place on a desert planet. drat right it's a Zaku. Off camera are the scopedogs and patlabors.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Checking the BGG list of 'naval, wargame, wwii, miniatures' I've played at least ten of the ~50 of the results, and plenty more that aren't fully published.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

And lest you think it's all old fogeys playing chart simulators from the 80s, most of the naval wargamers I know (including myself) are currently enamored with Nimitz (2023) by Sam Mustafa. Fantastic modern rules in a nice full color rulebook with good examples and diagrams and explanations for why certain rules are designed as such. It's the reason I bought an STL pack of ships over the holidays. Got plans to print and paint some up in 1:2400.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Taking a break from boats to do some wee rats. Considering how many of them and their associates I need to paint, they aren't getting much more detailing than that. Basing is not going well. I think I'm going to have to flood the space between the ranks and the edges with PVA and dip it in sand.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Nice rats. Yeah, I usually make my own base mixes, but I'm out of a few materials I want, and I don't want to just use a mix I've designated for a different set of minis.
Also I didn't realize the model had wispy whisker beards until I went back to do the teeth; I thought they just had cartoonish jowls.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Another Flesh Construct down
I like the untertones you used for that skin. Well worth the layers.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Wings look great, and the balloon pants too. I recognize that model, I printed one and three accompanying lancer dudes for a goon friend last year. Super spindly in a couple places, so I used the good flex resin.

A previous life doing entomology field work has me too hypercritical to do insect wings or carapace. Fun story, the tails on the hindwings of that model are almost certainly inspired by the luna moth (Troy McClure voice: you may remember it from such drug commercials as 'Lunesta'), which we used to catch in such quantities in the summer in Mississippi that we would fill up pillow cases with them, and then jimmy the screens on each others dorm rooms and chuck them in. They're big as birds, and flap just as hard. It never got old, it was funny every single time.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would just buy the vortex mixer, but if you have a stubborn paint and need something in the meantime you could use a ziptie to secure the paint to the outside of a hole saw drill bit, if the bit has holes.

Tape the lid closed, chuck it in the dryer on a no-heat cycle. Do all of them at once for extra agitation.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

I'll be the dissenting voice and say yes, you do need the mixing balls for most acrylic paints. The difference in effectiveness and required duration for all but the thinnest of airpaints is drastic.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

My wife got me a big set of the original AP line one christmas. So I felt obligated to make the most of them. If you liberally pour off the excess medium, then add a mixing ball and really go at them, and then ruthlessly cull the terrible ones, at least half that set is still around. The good colors are absolutely on par with all but the latest 3rd gen stuff, tones/washes are good to great, metallics are again mostly on-par to the point I can't tell which silver is AP/Vallejo/Reaper/AK on the same model.
Their light warm colors were universally poo poo. I think I chucked every single yellow, orange and pink.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

Vallejo's "Mecha Color"... You need a big nozzle and a lot of air pressure to get it to spray nicely.
Having both of those, it's pretty dang great. I like the line, great for base coating vehicles mechs and spaceships (like it says on the tin), and the metallis steel is fantastic all around. It's got a satin finish, which I use intentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

armorer posted:

Okay, next stupid question: Do y'all string your bows on minis? If so, what method do you use? I've seen that you can heat up sprue frames and stretch them to get a thin thread of plastic. It seems like that might be a good approach, but so far I've just left them with no bowstrings.

Yes. Fishing line. ... This is the worst method I've ever heard of, do not do it.