Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kylaer posted:

I actually have used my airbrush a couple of times now for priming batches and it seems to work but I can't tell when I'm done and there's enough primer on the model.

The good news is that unlike rattlecan priming, airbrush primer is generally going on thin enough it's hard to overdo it. Obviously you can but try a couple of thin coats. I like doing a zenithel with a light grey over a dark grey so the light grey often catches anywhere I missed that's visible.

although I got back to airbrushing after a long break and had to relearn my workflow. Had the paint so thin I was hardly painting anything and then realized my cheap airbrush had that screw at the back of the airbrush that changes how far back you can pull the trigger. By the time i figured that out the paint had been sitting too long and I clogged the stupid thing pretty good.

but next time round everything went well. I really should put my cheap airbrush down and start using my iwata at some point.

also I really liked this video about OSL from one of the chillest guys in miniature painting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kICVG3b0MGE

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

I'm starting my first attempt at really strong OSL and I'd like to get a more exact idea of where the light is hitting than eyeballing it. Does anybody know of any easy-ish way to do that with software? Or have general advice? My thought if software doesn't exist was to use a bunch of straightened tiny paperclips and sticky tack to physically map out the edges of the light and take a few reference pictures.

Not sure if this will answer your question exactly (well, certainly not the software part) but I found this video really really useful for some stuff about OSL I had never considered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kICVG3b0MGE

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the future is Now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjTsZIT6UPI

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bohemian Nights posted:

Maybe everyone have already seen it, but the golden demon winners for adepticon are out

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/24/golden-demon-2024-winners-revealed-at-adepticon/

The slayer sword piece is absolutely insane

Yeah the slayer sword winner is absolutely deserving and incredible from concept to execution. My jaw dropped when I saw it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I like how colourful his winning LOTR entry is. Guy loves colour and his videos are full of great tips.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

Knowing Marco he probably finished that in an afternoon

hey guysss here's handy tips on how to create a fast workflow for your golden demon winner

But seriously what I love about Marco is how much saturated colours he uses. Nothing wrong with desaturated colours but I like how he uses them and creates wonderful visual interest, especially since LOTR seems to often favour more muted schemes and tones.

I will say the one bit of golden demon controversy I have seen is that the single model 40k winner apparently used AI art for the background of the base. I assume it wasn't judged with that background but I guess since it was photographed with the background it rubs some people the wrong way.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lumpy posted:

If they sell it separately, the Payne's Grey from Vince's set and the Dark Jade from his set as well. In fact, just get the whole set because every paint in it is a banger.

I gotta say I also picked up Ninjon's set because a lot of those colours are really great for fleshtones. I'm normally weary of influencer stuff but those two sets are really good that fill some gaps.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cease to Hope posted:

i do recommend people avoid brands they can't buy locally, because you'll run out of different paints at different times and it's easier to look at a line on a rack than online imo.

Agreed, although that was partly a condition of the pandemic. I could get GW paints and Vallejo locally so I stuck with Vallejo with some GW contrast. Now the local store has AK, ProAcryl, and Army Painter so I've got a lot more choice. Man I love ProAcryl these days, although AK 3rd gen is pretty great. I imagine the new Vallejo Model Colours are going to be excellent as well.

Also imo Vallejo Model Air Metallics are quite good. Maybe not underrated exactly but sometimes overlooked. Especially the silver for TMM highlights.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Definitely dive into painting then look at videos later when you have questions (or ask them here and have us link you the appropriate vince video) but if you're going to start with a video this is a good one. It's what I watched back when I first realized I wanted to pick the hobby back up again and things like zenithel highlights while priming were a revelation.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah things have changed a lot since Blood Red days. Really any of the big brands well do you well. The advice I've always stuck with is only get brands you can buy in your area since you don't want to be in a position where you run out of a paint and get stuck.

Vallejo (Game Colour range has a lot of similar colours), Army Painter, and AK 3rd gen all have huge ranges with good quality paint in dropper bottles. They're all less expensive than GW paints as well.

As for reconstituting paint, you could try buying some medium and add it in, but honestly if it's pretty dried out it's probably not worth it.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 21, 2024

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Oh I forgot about Two Thin Coats which seems to be well regarded and has a decent range of colours.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Does anyone have any pigment colour brands they particularly like? Thought I'd try them out to add another bit of texture to some bases. I looked at Vallejo and AK and was looking for something greenish for moss and something redder for Mediterranean terra rossa kind of looking dirt.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I didn't know about using chalky watercolours as pigment, although I had a suspicion there was a way to get pigment colours without paying miniature paint companies a lot of money for them. Thanks thread!

I'll go check out Michaels and see what I can find. Sadly all the little cool art stores around here have closed down since COVID. I'm lucky the hobby store is still around.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Virtual Russian posted:

Avoid Michaels, go support your local supplier, odds are their prices are better too. You can just straight up buy pigments, then you are only getting pigment and no filler.

I know you're out east but any recommendations around the GTA? I haven't found a good supplier around here, or at least one still in business.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Is Curry's still big in the GTA? They were the go to fine-art store back when I lived there.

They were my go-to but the local ones have all gone out of business. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The purple on that spartan is gorgeous, and I love all the colour you incorporated into the Sorceress. Even her hair really stands out.