Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Are there any like, weather tips for spray primer? It's been a long time and I usually did this poo poo at the FLGS when I did it the first time around. I also assume this can of Krylon is perfectly servicable despite not having been sanctified by the God-Emperor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Was that the guy who also kept them in a box marked "fascists" and would toss them in with no organisation when they died? I remember someone saying they saw a player who did that
I think his Red Army units were given a solid paint job and the Ratzis were just spraypainted with black primer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Now I'm wondering if there's a WW2 naval miniatures game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Just primed my completed Sororitas. Good: the Krylon paint worked like a dream, even if the sunlight meant I had to go get a sprue to convince myself, yes, they did get primed. Didn't take too much fiddling either despite all the crevasses.

Bad: I realized I didn't pin drill their gun barrels, I'm a fraud!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The agony! The shame! And I guess that's true. I suppose the inside of the barrels wouldn't be primed, but I can either give them one more hit or just not give a poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Should I thin paint-on primer or is that the one where I should just use it more or less as is?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Beffer posted:

It depends how thick it is to start with. Just like regular paint, you want it to cover the plastic but not obscure details. I use Vallejo brush on primer and i always thin it slightly.
Yeah I got a 60ml pot of that since after deep reflection and meditation, I realized it would be easier to use that on the seraphims and/or touch up possible scraped bitz on the spray-primed models that way.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

https://imgchest.com/p/ljyqqqmkny2 Sister Testpaint of the Order of As Yet Undefined is (basecoat) painted. I have a huge number of qualms - as you can see my basecoat effort for the hair was definitely not thinned enough but I think the red for the robes was if anything TOO thinned. I am a little proud of how my attempt to tint dark ivory for the armor appears to have managed to nail the shade for verdigris I was going for.

Still I thought I would share. I will do reshoots if I can figure out how to make the iPhone 13 do close up focus better.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 10, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oops my dark ivory paint turned black on the wet palette overnight. I’m guessing this is pigment separation but would it still be good

In general how long will paint stay useful on the wet palette anyway?

Nessus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 11, 2024

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yikes, given my habits I should start cutting sheets in half. I’ll see how well the stuff held up.

I did swizzle it a little with a toothpick and it turned back to about the color I expected

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It occurs to me after a night of painstaking basecoating: is that what the broad flat brush was for? :nyoron:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Probably not. Flat brushes are mostly used for dry brushing (or large flat panels on vehicles) in miniature painting. They’re likely to catch raised areas and miss recesses because of their shape + ones marketed for minis are often made of really stiff bristles. That said, do whatever works for you.
I think I just need to use a smaller brush for touch ups and be merciful to myself for being old, rusty and clumsy. Muhreens would probably have been simpler than battle sisters

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think I overthinned honestly but that was also from having the wet palette out overnight. The red and white did look decent after a while but I think a second pass will help. Also a mecha dendritic arm to hold the brush

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh I loved that video and I was going for a milk like consistency. I think some is the skill rust and also having a black base coat instead of grey or white or whatever

The citadel mini stand/holder gizmo is a real blessing

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hooray I made some progress. Out of curiosity, I am wondering if I'm over-thinning my paints: do the monument blends need much thinning? I usually drip out like six drops of paint and add a 'touch the water cup, let a bit of water bead off into the stuff' so far, which seems to reliably get me the 'basically like milk' consistency the paint thinning video described.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I was reviewing the Pro Acryl article on Goonhammer and it struck me that I might have been pre-emptively over-thinning, which created more problems for me than it solved. How hard do y'all generally thin that stuff? Is it actually pre-watered somehow or did they just Do Good on that line of paints?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

it's already pretty drat thin, especially the whites and oranges or other light colors, i usually do the normal amount of thinning on the wet palette one does to not have a brush overloaded with paint and go for it. You can certainly go thinner but you're pushing it into glazes at that point and I'm honestly too impatient to spend much time glazing at all, takes too drat long.
Yeah I think I may have veered into the borderland of glazes. What I did, sort of by accident, with the jade was to add a brushload of water and otherwise to just have my cycle be clean-dip, wipe on paper towel, water-pot dip, paint blob dip. However my main coverage was with white/ivory and their red. I also agree that their titanium white is borderline magical.

e: With the reds and whites I had added a fingertip-adhered drop of water to the blob of paint (5-6 drops, to be scientific about it). This made a fairly thin coat, though two coats looked pretty good, just not a smooth flat red. The copper took this treatment much better.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah that is really solid for a first go! If you weren't time crunched I would have taken a smol brush and cleaned up the lines such as on the shoulderpads but you were also probably constantly discovering new nuances of the process as you went along.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

In terms of painting technique or how I treat it, do I need to do anything special with paint-on primer black, or is it basically similar to other acrylics?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

whose paint-on primer black? some are self-leveling (so you can be kind of sloppy), some are just tough black paint
Vallejo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kylaer posted:

It is not well painted, but it is fully painted. I need to look at some paint schemes instead of just grabbing random colors. That also isn't its actual base, I've got some fancy ones printing and I'll see which one looks best for it.
I feel you on that red, did you feel like you overthinned your paints somewhat?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

Going a day without sleep sure drives me crazy, and that's what it takes to produce some real art right?
I believe you also need to buy more paints.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Arrakis also had its share of black stone which would also be a logical place where poo poo happened, since running around in the desert seems like it calls Shai-Hulud, who can be portrayed by slapping a flexible heating duct on the table.

So that could add visual diversity, even if maybe not to each individual base.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Wow! I just did the lighter trick on the metal nozzle of this citadel glue. You guys weren't kidding! It worked out great!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The true servant of Chaos is the wind patterns that manage to gust at the exact moments when I push the spray button on my spray primer can.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Can confirm it’s good paint. Just don’t thin it much - it comes pretty good from the bottle as Doobie said

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kylaer posted:

:woop: I hate thinning so this is a big plus. I know it's easy but it fills me with the feeling that I'm not going to be able to make it consistent batch to batch.
My experience has been that the little bit you’ll get on a damp brush applies ample liquidity on wet palette. I might have to try a double layer tbf.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Of parchment on the pallet I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think the hardest "you just need to paint" skill to learn is paint thickness. It's easy to say "thin your paints" but it's hard to get a feel for how much, and when, and the difference between brands, and the effects multiple layers will have.
Yeah I over-thinned on a bunch of miniatures, lol. It looks cool, but it took like four times as long as it would have if I'd just used basically straight MH pyrole red.

Do any of you have experience with the Turbo Dork paints?

https://turbodork.com/ truly, a goon brand