Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I'm Jewish and care a lot about how people handle the Holocaust, and I actually don't have a problem with AK's project. You can see the listing for the book on their site still, actually: https://ak-interactive.com/product/condemnation-when-modeling-becomes-art-and-art-is-a-social-denounce/ It wasn't just focused on the Holocaust, it was focused on genocides and other atrocities and human tragedies (a child drowning, an IV drug user injecting). I believe they were sincere when they said they undertook the project to highlight these atrocities to condemn them (hence the title of the book). It struck me similarly to this fantastic Goonhammer article on playing a tabletop wargame as, for example, Nazi Germany: https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-butterflies-pinned-to-a-board-or-why-we-play-the-baddies/ At most they're misguided artists, not neo-Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

If gravity is working against you, hold the model upside down. And yeah, do a droplet, not a thin coat.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a decent airbrush tank combo for $100? Looks like the iwata eclipse is $200 which is a bit much i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMIQ0CWcbQ

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

first time ever entering a contest with this bad boy:

https://i.imgur.com/FaaWbgz.mp4

lessons learned
-I need to get better at skin for next time. Time to look up a vincey v video
-photography on something with this much contrast is difficult. seems like focus stackign is the solution but thats a bit hard with a phone camera
-should have looked up a star tutorial beforehand and done the messy work first. Kinda eyeballed it here as a space filler
-painting/blending greens is a great time and I recommend it
-initially hadnt planned on this being a contest entry, if I had a probably would have reprinted this as it has the misprinted line down the front. all minis are beautiful little guys though, super happy with it

Gorgeous! What is that model?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

I know people hate the painting phase guys, but the person they interviewed sounds incredibly creative and artistically talented https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14fr7Z5R6nw. So it was very interesting to listen to him and how he works.

There are "art techniques" but the big part is also thinking about things differently. He's a sculptor and one of the big things I got from his that you need to work with your medium, for organic, smooth, and round objects it's easier to work with putty when it's soft and malleable to produce the desired effect. And the opposite is true for inorganic, a harder putty that dried provides the sharper edges and planes to create that perception.

It's not some incredible revelation or anything, but you could also probably figure these things out on your own when you spent enough time hobbying stuff and your brain isn't constantly occupied with simply getting the basics of shadow and light correctly.

Yeah, Valbjorn is awesome and not click-baity. I support him on Patreon, especially since Space Wolves are my main army.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My Pro Acryl Titanium White is also pretty thick.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Lumpy posted:

They make two different titanium whites, one is a heavy body. That could explain it....

I have both, and I'm talking about the regular one. It still smooths up real nice with a touch of water, but it's noticeably thicker out of the bottle than the other colors.

tehsid posted:

Finished Vader last night and now that crew is complete. I really enjoyed painting these, but I absolutely need to work on smoother highlights and realistic ones. Some parts of Vader just look off, but I wanted to knock it over.

Looks great! I've painted the first Vader but not this one yet.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Xpost from AOS thread

This is awesome! Getting Shadowrun vibes from the fantasy/cyberpunk mashup.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

:hmmyes:

It's almost annoying how good GW metallics are.

I've switched to Pro Acryl and don't miss them.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

What Pro Acryl metallics do you suggest?

I mean, they're all great. But a good gold seems hard to find, and Rich Gold is excellent. You won't miss Retributor Armor. Maybe Vallejo's silver is better than Pro Acryl's? But they're both drat good.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Thanks for the tip. Not that my backlog needed it, but the Dominion box for a hundred bux was too good to pass up. They must be clearing out inventory before the new AoS edition and starter set comes out.

It's been about that low for some time. It was massively over-produced.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

Thank you. I can keep this stuff in the plastic glue's bottle, right?

Yep

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My local GW store is having monthly painting competitions with the model of the month. This month the theme is "corruption." As a lifelong Space Wolves player, I relished the chance to gently caress up a Dark Angel, and I thought Genestealer Cults was a more original direction to take than just Chaos. Here's my WIP so far. I'm planning on using Contrast paints for the head and arm. I'm torn between the classic Genestealer colors (purple skin, dark blue chitin) and my own GSC army colors (orange skin, bright blue chitin).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

The Abominant does have a weird little guy who hangs out on his base. I guess I’m ordering some Watcher in the Dark bits!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Well, I was having a lot of fun with the model and just kept painting. I think I'm done with it for now but may add a little dude later. Thanks everybody for the input. I did go with the Dark Angels tattoo on the forehead to bring home that this is a former Space Marine and not just a genestealer in some stolen armor. I also went with the classic colors as it made sense to keep that consistent. I love the blood on the hammer but am less sold on the splatter on the armor.

Muir fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 12, 2024

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

you dont realize just how sharp an airbrush needle is until you drop it and reflexively try and catch it and bury a quarter of it lengthwise into your hand lol

I've got a little blue dot tattooed on my thigh from where I dropped a fountain pen just wrong. It's lasted 17 years so far.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Lumpy posted:

It took me less than a month to take pictures of my Adpeticon Resin Beast and The Worthy entries!

These are bonkers, amazing work. The color transitions on the last one are astounding.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Test model for my Soulblight Gravelords color scheme is done, I'm pretty sure I like it. For the rank and file, say skeletons, I'll have purple cloth and silver armor with heavy verdigris to bring the teal notes in. For the basing I'm going for an otherworldly black sand beach with snow. The sand looks blacker in person. Feedback welcome!

Muir fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 17, 2024

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

First 20 skeletons almost done, just need to finish edge highlighting half of them and put snow on the bases:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

mellonbread posted:

Woah, cool patina.

Thanks! I wanted it to contrast with the purple. It's just Citadel Nihilakh Oxide. I have some Dirty Down Verdigris on its way so I'll compare it to that later.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I spray at ~20 psi, I do it inside an airbrush box but without the fans hooked up and the paint dust stays confined to the box just fine. For myself I wear a respirator.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

i grabbed some auxilia to use as imperial guard, and i cant for the life of me decide on how to paint their backpacks and would love some input.

i feel like the choices are either black or metallic. i think black would be too plain and metallic too loud.

Metallic doesn't have to be loud -- you can do a really dark silver or bronze.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

armorer posted:

I have absolutely no idea, but also I didn't see Turbo Dork mentioned in the OP paint section but one of my local stores carries them. Anyone know if they're decent?

They're mostly known for their color shift paints, which are quite good (though like most color shift, they have specific application requirements and are best airbrushed). Their regular metallics are good too, though not necessarily any better than Vallejo or Pro Acryl or whoever. They're going through an update to their line right now. They have great customer support and the owners are active in their Facebook group (and the mother of one of them is their test painter and answers lots of questions).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Yeast posted:

Not to yuck someone else’s yum, it’s just that I’m yet to see 28mm minis that look good with colour shift Metallics on them that aren’t purely based on the gimmick.

I bet it looks great on scale model cars

Necrons. Maybe Tyranid chitin?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

Quick advice check. I started painting my Legionary kill team last night, for my own chapter, not anything official. Only got as far as basecoating most of the armor and the head, but put it up for some friends to see how it was looking:

... Got several bouts of feedback of "nice space wolf" or otherwise deciding it was definitely a space wolf model. Which was not the intent at all. (It's Thousand Sons blue, for that matter, making it funnier.)
I still have to do the fur, but I've realize that doing the standard brown/tan fur is going to just read even more heavily as Space Wolf and it's going to reinforce that notion. I'm considering white (or off-white) fur, but is that going to look bad in this case? On other models I have trim that'll be bronze and other places to make it more visibly non-SW, but on this model the only place for that is on the backpack that I barely started on before running out of time. (For that matter, are people just wrong that it looks like a space wolf? SW models are usually a lot paler, but that's examination and not first reaction...)

I mean, removing the normal Imperial symbols and adding fur is pretty Space Wolf. Alternative Space Wolf paint schemes tend toward the plain gray (like the only successor chapter, the Wolfspear, or like Horus Heresy era Space Wolves), but blue isn't that far off. It's not like it's green or red or something. If it were all white or white/red I'd probably get White Scars vibes.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

White Scars successors here, actually :smith:
I'm sticking with the blue and hoping I can distinguish it enough that people don't just assume it's SW. Only a couple models (3 out of 11) have the fur, so hopefully once it's a complete team it'll have less of an effect.

Lean into lightning bolt decorations and that will help push you in the White Scars direction.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Eej posted:

Also topknots (and dark hair)

Yeah, the orange hair is definitely not helping you avoid Space Wolves/viking vibes.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

Figured it's not. I did the red/orange hair on a model like, 5 years ago and wanted to see if I still remembered how to do it right. Maybe I'll just go over it since I haven't gotten to any of the complex parts yet and it's still thin.

Models themselves are locked in at this point, already have 9 of the 11 built and primed (with the 10th just missing an arm and also otherwise built), so a bit late for topknots.
Guess I'll see what I can manage.

Freehand on some lightning bolts, I think that'll help a lot.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Five Blood Knights done. Boy that's a lot of edges to highlight.

SkyeAuroline posted:

I liked Cease's barcode idea and applied it as a shoulder marking here, and as a chest marking on the previous model since her shoulders are covered. Went fairly light with the markings on this one, but still thinking on how to iterate on them. Not sealed yet either, so I can go back if needed. I think this guy is more distinct from the wolfy heritage, even if he does have a stereotypically wolfy head.

Definitely looking less wolfy, congratulations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Lumpy posted:

I finished up some Shatterpoint stuff:

These are great! Your fabric textures especially are impressive, like Cad Bane's leather and pants, or Asajj's skirt.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

some 6mm depo buildings from iliada games studio. pretty simple scatter buildings that stack up nicely infinitely against each other. get them here: https://www.wargamevault.com/product/444664/Depo-Buildings

also another 6mm medina house from the lazy forger

That graffiti is insane. The pencil? The words? The loving rabbit eating a carrot?! Come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

SkyeAuroline posted:

And managed to hammer out number six in a couple hours.

I'm not painting any more of these legionaries until I find a replacement for Thousand Sons Blue. This is one of the worst paints I have ever had the misfortune of working with, and it's easily half the time it takes me to paint these guys on its own from having to do five or more layers just to get coverage. But hey, it's a team that's ready to go!

Two Thin Coats paints are made to be matches for GW paints and are considered excellent. Looks like Sentient Turquoise is the Thousand Sons Blue equivalent.
https://transatlantisgames.com/two-thin-coats-charts/