Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

istewart posted:

Serious-posting, the mode select music from DDR Extreme is an all time banger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYSheQpIcn0

I wish there was a full length mix someplace but it loops well enough.

gently caress yeah, best song in the series. Huge wave of nostalgia hearing this.

I was a pretty serious DDR player. Could AAA some songs sometimes, but my best feat was max 300, max unlimited, and legend of max all in a row.

Anyway best DDR song that isnt mode select is Be Lovin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLg05e5g5Uc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Never was I more fit than when I played DDR all the time at the mall

Worked at an arcade with a machine in highschool and would finish a session just to realize I was drenched in sweat

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

AndrewP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84tamss2LqI

DDR had us dancing to jigs in the mall

Bag was fun as poo poo

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

my favorites were exotic ethnic and rhythm and police but both of them were exhausting

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
There are some really weird gatekeeping dorks in the StepMania community who find it absurd that someone wants to play without the bar. I like to dance around and do things. I find the bar thing to be... a very specific thing. A challenge thing. I like to have fun.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
One of the guys I played with was a cross country runner and he like just didn't get tired. His fatal flaw was he had all of no rhythm, so he played entirely by sight reading the notes. We had a couple other guys who could close their eyes and hit the arrows on beat if they were real familiar with the song, but cross country guy just didn't have the brain to process it that way.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

credburn posted:

There are some really weird gatekeeping dorks in the StepMania community who find it absurd that someone wants to play without the bar. I like to dance around and do things. I find the bar thing to be... a very specific thing. A challenge thing. I like to have fun.

Those guys can have their own fun. I play with a bar because when I actually play at the arcades I always play doubles at a high level and it's pretty much required to use if you want to play at that level.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Honestly what I thought the thread and would have posted myself if I wasn't like stupid and poo poo.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Those guys can have their own fun. I play with a bar because when I actually play at the arcades I always play doubles at a high level and it's pretty much required to use if you want to play at that level.

I think of the bar and not using the bar as two very different experiences. I've actually never used a bar; I'm very good at DDR but I would probably suck transitioning to a song where the bar is a necessity.

I can't really play at my local arcade because I have goofy size 16 clown feet and all the arcade setups have sunken squares for the arrows. I constantly am accidentally bridging and not hitting the arrow :(

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I mean play how you want to play honestly. I was around in the community when playing conservative was being developed because back in my day :okboomer:, a foot hits one note. But now one foot hits two notes at the same time to conserve energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y2oHAR3mS0

Also, if anyone is serious about DDR, Pump it Up, Beatmania, or other Rythm games. There is a thread I frequent here on SA that talks about these games and a place to show off. Some other goons even do livestreams!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2524210

Edit - gently caress it I will share another song I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsOnbzD0oD4

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I've always thought that holding the bar like that looked hella dumb and refused to do it. I'm in my mid thirties now and am thus way less passionate than my shithead self used to be about others bar or non-bar choices.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I only use the bar because I would love to see someone perform an S20+ without the bar trying to be Michael Flatley wannabes.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFKtz2GOeo8

repsnake
Sep 1, 2002

A goon I knew got me I to see back in 2008. We would go to an arcade bar and just do supernova max 2 for hours. The game maintenance tech would pump free credits into the machine because we were there multiple times a week. I got up to hard difficulty on most songs but the other goon was a beast at all rhythm games and always drew crowds of onlookers. We would sometimes hit up the in the groove 2 machine as well at the movie theater across town.

The only ddr machine in my area that I know of is at the video game hall of fame museum. Oh how it hurts to see your youth in a museum:
https://www.museumofplay.org/press-release/world-video-game-hall-of-fame-inductees-for-2022-announced/

Anyhow, exotic ethnic was my favorite:
https://youtu.be/1SP9uvEdy6s?feature=shared

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVOomeWWPQA

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I remember in college there were this group of anime people who would sit around one of the common areas and play DDR on a big projector all day.

The smell was like nothing I’d ever experienced.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I remember in college there were this group of anime people who would sit around one of the common areas and play DDR on a big projector all day.

The smell was like nothing I’d ever experienced.

Was the most amount of activity you performed that day viewing said anime people?

Cause I dunno if you know what happens when you work out. But you do smell bad.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Katamari Democracy posted:

Was the most amount of activity you performed that day viewing said anime people?

Cause I dunno if you know what happens when you work out. But you do smell bad.

There is a big difference between the smell of sweat at a gym, and the smell of unwashed skin and greasy hair spewing out rancid perspiration into Death Note sweaters that had never seen a washing machine before.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
We had a girl at my gym that smelled so loving bad it made me want to throw up. Most people working out might smell a bit, but deodorant and good hygiene is usually good enough to mask that. Some people are filthy nightmare creatures.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Glad I shower in the mornings and at night.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

There is a big difference between the smell of sweat at a gym, and the smell of unwashed skin and greasy hair spewing out rancid perspiration into Death Note sweaters that had never seen a washing machine before.

I'm giving you poo poo but you are right. My experience with this has always been awesome with the people I grew up with and play with to this day. Sorry you had to deal with literal nerds who never wear speed sticks. I did meet one guy who had on too much makeup back in 2007 and not enough deodorant. And his teeth. :barf:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Did anybody else have a literal DDR club in high school?

I never went but lol what a sign of the times it was

repsnake
Sep 1, 2002

Anyone else have a pair of DDR-specific shoes that they wore that were nothing more than a thin rubber sole with no arch support and even thinner cloth and lower back pain now?

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!

repsnake posted:

Anyone else have a pair of DDR-specific shoes that they wore that were nothing more than a thin rubber sole with no arch support and even thinner cloth and lower back pain now?

Every guy I played with had their specific pair of shoes they thought were best for it. I was definitely big on something like a Chuck Taylor or equivalent design because they were flat thin and bendy. I’ve thus far dodged the back pain, but that might be because I’ve been involved in a handful of other activities since that work a lot of back muscles.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

at my mall back in 1999 or whatever nobody used the bar, we played the game the right way

I tried playing a few months ago at a barcade thing and couldn't even last half a song

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
why is everyone talking about dancing in the double data rate RAM thread?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I still think playing with the bar looks dumb as hell 20 years later.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

I don't get why taiko no tatsujin never caught on in the states

also the real OG mat game is NES Track and Field :ssh: you can beat the long jump by stepping off the mat :ssh:

you're supposed to sit on the floore and use your hands

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_eB8oPIaIE

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The Konami tournament last year didn't allow US players because they are too scared of Chris4Life

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I don't think The Whistle Song is really about whistles.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

I still play 😤

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i downloaded some more DDR ram and now my computer wont work :(

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm considering spending the $400ish for a good pad. It's not that I play at a level that would require it I just am sick of the one I have sliding around and know the cheap ones have a habit of breaking.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 24, 2024

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

DanAdamKOF posted:

I still play 😤

wow your avatar is a blast from the past

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Did anybody else have a literal DDR club in high school?

I never went but lol what a sign of the times it was

The highschool of a neighboring school distract had one and I went to a couple tournaments and did horribly because I was used to playing on an arcade machine and not completely flat pads

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm considering spending the $400ish for a good pad. It's not that I play at a level that would require it I just am sick of the one I have sliding around and know the cheap ones have a habit of breaking.

The thing is, it's really fuckin hard to find a mid-tier pad. You either have garbage pads for forty bucks that tear and die within months, or you break out the hundos for a metal one. I'll say, I bought an LTEK PRO 2 about six months ago and it's perfect. Sadly it costs almost as much to ship as it does to purchase it :|

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

seems dangerously anime op

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

need an east germany crying flag

this rules so hard. if i was an eccentric rich dude i'd totally be a gentleman driver in the historics class on rallye monte carlo every year in some shitbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
i lost 40 lbs doing DDR no joke. mostly ddr ultramix 2 on the xbox