Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

500excf type r posted:

Where the Red Fern Grows is awesome and im glad that rear end in a top hat kid died

I met some dude who's last name was Pritchard years ago and I was immediately suspicious of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

I met some dude who's last name was Pritchard years ago and I was immediately suspicious of him

Did you call him Prick for short?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

coronatae posted:

Daphne's Book was something I randomly picked up at the library because I like the name Daphne. Think about the class weirdo nobody wants to be friends with. Think about getting paired with them for an assignment to write a picture book. Think about eventually coming to like her and being her friend. And then finding out she lives in a run-down farmhouse with her little sister and her grandmother, who has dementia, with no power or water. It's sad as hell but I remember liking it.

I had a great aunt who would send my brother and me Scholastic books when I was a kid. I have no idea where she got them because she didn’t work in a setting or have any connections that would have enabled her to get them so far as I know.

Anyway, my point is, that was one of the books she sent me, and it’s a really good story. She seemed to have this innate ability to find good kids/YA stuff to send us. There were a lot of books I might not have otherwise read if she hadn’t sent them.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

CoffeeBoofer posted:

the kid ate a turtle

Unreliable narrator. It was a box of chocolate pecan turtles.

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023
he perpuated sexist stereotypes against Sheila Tubman. He also kicked Shiloh the dog

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
this thread's really been dredging up a lot of nostalgia book-memories:

The Squeaky Wheel, Robert Kimmel Smith: just a pretty great young adult novel about dealing with divorce, good life lessons

Then Again, Maybe I Won't, Judy Blume: they put this in the school library and i'm 99% sure everyone who read it discovered masturbation as a result, I know I did

Star Shards Chronicles (a trilogy), Neal Shusterman: this is kind of like the plot of that really critically-panned show Heroes, but with kids, some of the kids have absolutely sick-rear end powers, though

A Logical Magician, Robert Weinberg: this was one of my all-time favorites as a kid, let me give you the cover and the blurb and that should do it -

"Modern technology sets an ancient demon loose on the streets of Chicago, and Merlin the Magician needs help to fight it. He runs a classified ad and meets Jack, a recent college graduate. Now Jack is faced with the daunting task of saving Chicago from a power-hungry computer hacker... and an evil demigod."

it's part of a series, and yes, the writing is kinda flat and Robert Weinberg is extremely very horny, but the whole premise and world-building are incredible. almost like a precursor to Gaiman's American Gods

and drumroll please, the number one with a bullet,

Others See Us, William Sleator:

cousins on an annual family summer reunion develop extremely powerful psychic abilities as the result of some chemical effluence in a local pond, tensions ratchet up as the two battle each other both in the real world and in increasingly intricate mental constructions, an absolute banger, tons of twists, you should read this today imo, why is this not a movie, hollywood, pay me

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Did anyone here not have these books growing up because if so I am so sorry.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

coronatae posted:

I remember when Out of the Dust was published and became available in our school library. It's an unusual style, entirely blank verse, about a 14 year old girl living in the Texas panhandle during the dust bowl. It's also gruesome in places, since the girl's pregnant mother gets set on fire in a kitchen accident. The whole thing is available as a pdf if you google it. Highly recommend. I can't believe they had us reading that as elementary school kids, but I guess children are resilient and they wanted us to learn Texas history.

Straight up the only thing I remember about it is how graphically the burns are described and how everyone blames the protagonist for killing her mom and brother because she was the one who threw the kerosene outside. She's even forced to be her dying mom's caretaker despite her own horrific burns on her hands, because dad's too busy getting drunk. I do not know how my teacher thought this was a good idea to read to a bunch of 9-10 year olds but since he never finished reading it that's where my memory of it ends.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, by Barbara Robinson. I had no idea until just now that it was from the 70s, and New Zealand. It was a really fun one.

That's the one, thank you!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When I was in 4th grade we got the Scholastic Newsletter, which was like a newspaper with real news and stories, but for kids.

Anyways, being a turbo nerd who watched the news regularly and read almanacs for fun, I spotted a factual error in a story, and after checking with my Dad, I wrote Scholastic a letter informing them of their mistake.

They wrote back, saying I was correct, and included a certificate for 5 free books at the next book fair. I was on cloud 9, the King of the Scholastic Book Fair.

I forget what I got, but I've been riding that high ever since.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Where the Red Fern Grows made me really want to buy some hounds and go coon hunting for like a week, which feels kind of strange in retrospect.

When I was 3-4 my mom used the entire Narnia series to teach me how to read. Since I had received roughly zero religious instruction at that point all the Christian stuff went completely over my head and I thought they were just fun fantasy adventure stories. I'll swear allegiance to a magic talking lion, why not? It was pretty wild to read a few as an adult and see just how aggressively religious they are.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I read a bunch of Louis Sachar books when I was young because I liked the Wayside school ones so much.

He wrote a book about the original goon called Dogs Don't Tell Jokes. Highly recommended.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_Don%27t_Tell_Jokes

Nov 6, 2002

I'll bite, what did Jamie see?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I'll bite, what did Jamie see?

Domestic abuse.

On that note, whatever DID happen to Janie? I only read Face on the Milk Carton so I never found out

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

teen witch posted:

Christ I remember hiding my head during That Part when watching the movie in class. Like I knew what was coming but still, what a tragic loving story for kids to enjoy(?)

Looking back 40-someodd years later, it was actually pretty funny. A couple hundred kids sobbing their eyes out and a handful of bewildered teachers trying to figure out what to do next.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

I read a bunch of Louis Sachar books when I was young because I liked the Wayside school ones so much.

He wrote a book about the original goon called Dogs Don't Tell Jokes. Highly recommended.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_Don%27t_Tell_Jokes

Oh I loved that book :allears:

Also Bailey School Kids upthread. I distinctly remember the Cupid/Valentine's one and the one where a medieval-theme pizza place had a dragon cooking the pizza. There's a great tumblr post about looking at these books as an adult-- specifically, the cover art-- and realizing all these otherworldly weirdos are maybe just different flavors of Gay.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

When I was 3-4 my mom used the entire Narnia series to teach me how to read. Since I had received roughly zero religious instruction at that point all the Christian stuff went completely over my head and I thought they were just fun fantasy adventure stories. I'll swear allegiance to a magic talking lion, why not? It was pretty wild to read a few as an adult and see just how aggressively religious they are.

C.S. Lewis straight-up said Aslan is not an allegory for Jesus, he's the form Jesus would take in a fantastic world like Narnia.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

C.S. Lewis straight-up said Aslan is not an allegory for Jesus, he's the form Jesus would take in a fantastic world like Narnia.

CS Lewis was a furry, you heard it here first.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

this is like explicitly textual, like it is honestly pretty clear from the magicians nephew + the lion the witch and the wardrobe and then kind of hits you over the head with it by the last battle

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I dunno in my copy it ends with "And by the way, that lion's name was Jesus"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
If dogs don't tell jokes then what the gently caress are they good for

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Not much, what's a dogfor with you

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Moon Monster posted:

Where the Red Fern Grows made me really want to buy some hounds and go coon hunting for like a week,

:same:

I even had a bunch if woods out back of my house and down the street.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

wesleywillis posted:

:same:

I even had a bunch if woods out back of my house and down the street.

When I was a kid, my grandpa gave us a coonhound. We lived in town, and had to keep him penned up all day because nobody was home to keep an eye on him. He was miserable due to lack of exercise and howled constantly, so my dad eventually made my grandpa take him back. A year or so later we went to visit grandpa and the hound wasn't there. He told us a long sad sad story about how he took that hound out hunting coyotes with a friend and they were attacked by a cougar, and the hound died heroically.

I believed this with all my heart, and told all my friends about it. Then in the 5th grade the class read Where The Red Fern Grows and I learned that grandpa plagiarized the story. He had just sold the dog. All my friends thought I was the one who lied so I got to hear a lot of "where's your homework, did a cougar eat it?" and "oh no, haven't seen your little brother recently, did he trip over an axe?" for the rest of the year.

Nov 6, 2002

wheatpuppy posted:

When I was a kid, my grandpa gave us a coonhound. We lived in town, and had to keep him penned up all day because nobody was home to keep an eye on him. He was miserable due to lack of exercise and howled constantly, so my dad eventually made my grandpa take him back. A year or so later we went to visit grandpa and the hound wasn't there. He told us a long sad sad story about how he took that hound out hunting coyotes with a friend and they were attacked by a cougar, and the hound died heroically.

I believed this with all my heart, and told all my friends about it. Then in the 5th grade the class read Where The Red Fern Grows and I learned that grandpa plagiarized the story. He had just sold the dog. All my friends thought I was the one who lied so I got to hear a lot of "where's your homework, did a cougar eat it?" and "oh no, haven't seen your little brother recently, did he trip over an axe?" for the rest of the year.

lol holy poo poo that's great

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I read Walk Two Moons the same year my mom left me with my paternal grandma and step-grandpa so that book hit in a very, very personal way that's hard for a 9 year old to explain.

Books I haven't seen mentioned but I read a ton of are the Dear America books, where the premise is the books are diaries of girls set during a part of American history. They haven't aged well over all but I will never, ever forget reading the Oregon Trail book and the graphic discription of the main character's friend drowning while crossing a river because she was too fat to escape the covered wagon. There was a ton of death and kind of dark poo poo in those books. My favorite was the one set on the Titanic where our main character's crush dies.

I also read most of the Boxcar Kids books and repeatedly read The Egypt Game.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

The Dear America Titanic story was my favorite too. She had such a good time eating all that upper-class food :allears: I was really into that book but couldn't give a fuuuck about the movie Titanic. Still don't, but I did find that book recently and reread it with gusto.

The Egypt Game was also a favorite of mine, I was That Ancient Egypt kid/really into mummies so I LOVED it.

Who remembers The Castle in the Attic? It's a really solid story imo.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
It was her getting pretty new clothes that I liked plus all the food and the lady she was travelling with being pretty chill. I did love Titanic the movie too but the book was my favorite out of the two. My second fave was the Oregon Trail one with the awful drowning scene, then one with the Triangle Shirtwaist fire, then the one with Jewish immigrant family where the main character becomes a Yiddish actress. I was also a big fan of the Royal Diaries spin off even though I knew they glossed a lot over. The one set in China was my favorite but Queen Elizabeth and Cleopatra's were fun too.

I read a ton of Nancy Drew too since my grandma had set of the really, really old editions that were published in the 50s when she was a kid. It's also how ended up reading My Friend Flicka, which I don't really remember aside from it being about a horse.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER
I have vague memories of some weird book I read decades ago when I was a kid, in the nineties. It had a distinctly strange A Stitch in Time sort of feel to it. The only detail I remember sort of clearly is a line to the effect of “We’re not going to hell, we’re just passing through it.” Maybe one character was a big amoeba? Maybe? It may not have even been a children’s book. I wish I could recall anything else about it.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Metric Skeleton posted:

I have vague memories of some weird book I read decades ago when I was a kid, in the nineties. It had a distinctly strange A Stitch in Time sort of feel to it. The only detail I remember sort of clearly is a line to the effect of “We’re not going to hell, we’re just passing through it.” Maybe one character was a big amoeba? Maybe? It may not have even been a children’s book. I wish I could recall anything else about it.

Might be A Wind In The Door by Madeleine L'Engle - They travel with a biblically-accurate angel that is basically a giant blob of eyes and fiery wings. And they ... somehow meet some mitochondria? I don't remember how or why.

Metric Skeleton
Apr 6, 2006
NEVER

wheatpuppy posted:

Might be A Wind In The Door by Madeleine L'Engle - They travel with a biblically-accurate angel that is basically a giant blob of eyes and fiery wings. And they ... somehow meet some mitochondria? I don't remember how or why.

A Wrinkle in Time, not A Stitch in Time! :doh: Yes. That sounds familiar so maybe I’m conflating details but the thing I’m thinking of specifically had a road trip story going. I think. A quick once-over of the Wikipedia synopses for the Time Quintet didn’t provide any details that slammed anything into place in my head, sadly.

“We’re not going to hell, we’re driving through it”…? Ughhh.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

wheatpuppy posted:

They have to save Charles Wallace, the younger brother from A Wrinkle in Time, from a mitochondrial illness. it's really good, as is the third book in the series, A Swiftly Tilting Planet.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Loved Wrinkle in Time. Didn't appreciate it until I got older, though.

My fave story about it is when a friend hadn't read it and decided to read it all during a long drive. When he got to the ending he must not have liked it because he started ranting, saying "Love!? They kill the giant brain with LOVE!?" Which I still find a hilarious reaction to this day.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Loved Wrinkle in Time. Didn't appreciate it until I got older, though.

My fave story about it is when a friend hadn't read it and decided to read it all during a long drive. When he got to the ending he must not have liked it because he started ranting, saying "Love!? They kill the giant brain with LOVE!?" Which I still find a hilarious reaction to this day.

there is a pretty famous, hugo-award-winning science fiction series that has the power of love as its major conceit, but it also has uh... like, uh. spiky demon alien, frank lloyd wright as a messiah????. infinitely resurrecting parasite people who colonize infinite space, whatever

but still, if you love, then you're cool, moral of the story

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
does anyone remember a book that was about a kid who played football and was good at jumping, but it turns out he was like an alien and was floating above his bed while he slept. at one point he jump/flys to an alien ship. at the end of the book he is playing football and scores the big touchdown

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Farg posted:

does anyone remember a book that was about a kid who played football and was good at jumping, but it turns out he was like an alien and was floating above his bed while he slept. at one point he jump/flys to an alien ship. at the end of the book he is playing football and scores the big touchdown

I don't, but this is the type of young adult fiction that I can respect. Just crazy poo poo strung together

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I was also a big fan of the Royal Diaries spin off even though I knew they glossed a lot over. The one set in China was my favorite but Queen Elizabeth and Cleopatra's were fun too.

I read the Anastasia one of those several dozen times, kicked off my love of Weird Royalty poo poo. Also taught me what abdication and hemophilia means! Just wish they didn’t include the actual pic of where they likely got got and Rasputin, because that introduced to me to a bit of horror.

Speaking of gentle historical fiction, let me talk to you about American Girl books and the bonkers expensive dolls. The Pleasant Company knew drat well what they were doing. I had Molly!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The fourth Wrinkle in Time book is the craziest imo. The twins get teleported into the buildup to Noah’s flood where there’s dwarf mammoth, manticore that says “onions”, they get in a throuple with Noah’s granddaughter because shirts haven’t been invented yet, meanwhile a bunch of Tanith Lee-assed fallen angels are vamping around trying to gently caress with everything. There are also pontifications on the sexual import of red hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

teen witch posted:

Speaking of gentle historical fiction, let me talk to you about American Girl books and the bonkers expensive dolls. The Pleasant Company knew drat well what they were doing. I had Molly!

I know I went into the American Girl store in Orlando with my older daughter, spent about two fiddy, and that goddamned doll might have gotten played with twice. I’ll write a children’s book about the Target knockoffs.