Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah, fudge was a dick though. His dad should have beaten his rear end a few times. But rubbing mashed potatoes in his face or hair or whatever was pretty sweet.
Eat it or wear it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

root beer posted:

There was another book, called Homecoming, about a few kids whose single mother left them, and they eventually catch up to her to learn she is schizophrenic and in a catatonic state. Looking back, I wonder if our teacher was going through something because, drat, what a weird theme we were dealing with in that class.
We had to read an excerpt from Dicey's Song, one of the sequels to Homecoming, and I liked it so much I tracked the book down and read the rest of it. There's a whole series of books following the kids and some of their friends and family and the author won some awards for it. The couple I read were very beautifully written and I think I'll read the rest of them.

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

One more for the lost in the wilderness genre: Lost Girls, Adrift! and Alone!. A group of teenage girls go on what was supposed to be a one week vacation sailing in the Bahamas. A storm comes up, their boat gets wrecked, and they wash up on a deserted island. I don't remember much about the survival skills within but there was a section where they learn how to shell a conch and cook the meat. It probably wasn't very popular because there were only two books in the series, and reviews say the second one ends abruptly. I wonder if I can track down the second book. I'm still wondering what happened to those characters.