Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds

The Bible posted:

I adored this series.

Even to this day, the chapter where a new kid shows up in a foul-smelling raincoat sticks with me.

He's a total dick and smells so bad that someone takes his raincoat and throws it out the window only to find that he's wearing dozens of them.

They keep pulling them off as his maniacal laughter continues to rise in pitch and eventually discover he was a dead rat trying to sneak into the classroom blew my grade-school mind.

Yes! I think about this way more often then objectively makes sense because even after a 30 odd years of reading other stuff it's still such a wild dénouement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

root beer posted:

I read a lot of books in these two series, The Great Brain (JD Fitzgerald) and Soup (Robert Newton Peck). Just a bunch of stories about tweens doing dumb poo poo at the turn of the century and the ‘30s, respectively. They were contemporary with Beverly Cleary and Judy Blume but I assume they were considerably lesser known. I read pretty much all of whatever they’d written that was published up to the late ‘80s.

I had to read Peck's A Day No Pigs Would Die in school, which was deeply upsetting (not Red Fern upsetting but real real close). My unhappiness was further compounded by the fact I confused him with Richard Peck and couldn't understand how one person could write a book I hated so much but also could produce the wonderful Blossom Culp series.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

teen witch posted:

Mentioning Where the Red Fern Grows unlocked a memory of my fifth grade class listening to my teacher read it out loud. When we got to the ending, it became a classroom of weeping kids. I’m certain doesthedogdie.com came from a kid who read that book.

I feel like I may have posted about this before but I moved around a lot as a kid and so was assigned Red Fern in 3rd grade and then had it read aloud to the class in 4th grade at a different school. I was the only kid who had read the book before and I remember sitting there eagerly anticipating the poo poo storm that was about to ensue as we got closer and closer to the end when, of course, every single kid in the class was going to lose it. I wasn't a complete psycho though, I was sobbing right along with everyone else when we got there.

The only book that made me as upset as a kid was Jacob Have I Loved, I remember lying on the couch weeping as I angrily read it because everyone was such an rear end in a top hat to the protagonist (and also because they threatened to drown a bunch of cats).

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I just remembered another book from when I was very young, Mary, Rose, and Christmas Tree June. A young girl goes to spend a weekend with her very rich great-aunt but the real story is about what adventures her dolls - and all toys - get up to when humans aren’t around. Great aunt also offers to buy a very expensive toy but the little girl chooses a forgotten doll instead. I always enjoy the “secret life of toys” trope (well, pre-Toy Story anyway) but the most notable feature of the book is it’s illustrated by Edward Gorey. It was probably the first time I saw his art, which is why I recognized and began to watch Mystery on PBS, and why as an adult I had to leave a gallery showing of Gorey’s art after only 30 minutes because I was in the throes of Stendhal Syndrome.

My favorite author as a kid was John Bellairs, who I started reading because Gorey did the covers and interior illustrations so they looked completely different from anything else on the library shelves (except, apparently, Mary, Rose, and Christmas Tree June). I loved the books in part because the magic in them was real stuff people in the actual world believed it, and because they could be legitimately scary - there was a bit in Eyes of the Killer Robot (otherwise not one of the strongest books) that had me so frightened I remember hiding it in another room and going to bed with the light on that night.

eta the Eyes cover because drat it's creepy

Rain Brain fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 27, 2024