Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

teen witch posted:

....(because I couldn’t give a poo poo about Johnny Tremaine)...

lol this thread had me thinking of old Johnny Tremaine. I gave a lot of shits about poor Johnny, with his injury and stuck working at a hot, dangerous forge all day. I remember thinking, well, school's not so bad compared to that....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What was the book about the lost kid who lived in a tree and ate acorn soup?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I might have missed any references to "The Three Investigators".

An "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" series of mystery books.
A little more "gritty" than the Hardy Boys, but same idea.

These three fellows had the coolest HQ in a junkyard with tunnels and secret doors.
They were kinda James Bond-esque with gadgets IIRC.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Z for Zachariah - There's been a nuclear war and the entire world is dead except for a small valley where the wind pattern around the mountains happens to keep the fallout away. A teenage girl in that valley is the only living person, as far as she knows, left in the world. Then one day a guy in a radiation suit arrives, but he gets all weird and rapey.
Have you seen this movie? I loved it. It's just as you describe, though I have not read the book so don't know if the movie deviated in any big way.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

teen witch posted:

Technically not a chapter book but I’m ride or die for Uncle Shelby, Shel Silverstein. I remember my mom reading The Giving Tree to me from the library when I was really young, and my grandma got me four of his other books.

I found some of his other work, later on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZnjxfm5I3Y

I never had Moomin as a kid :911: but read some after moving here as an adult and I had to pause a few times to just sorta lie there and think.

Few months ago I bought a collection for my cousin’s first kid for when he’s older. I’m gonna make this triste generational.

I was blown. AWAY. When I learned Shel Silverstein had this whole adult side. Eye opening.

Fun song about smoking weed: The Smoke Off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjewmFr9b0Y

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When I was in 4th grade we got the Scholastic Newsletter, which was like a newspaper with real news and stories, but for kids.

Anyways, being a turbo nerd who watched the news regularly and read almanacs for fun, I spotted a factual error in a story, and after checking with my Dad, I wrote Scholastic a letter informing them of their mistake.

They wrote back, saying I was correct, and included a certificate for 5 free books at the next book fair. I was on cloud 9, the King of the Scholastic Book Fair.

I forget what I got, but I've been riding that high ever since.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I read a book about "Indians" when I lived in Indiana and it somehow struck deep within me. The book (for kids) described how they walked silently through the forest on the sides of their feet, and I of course immediately began walking on the sides of my feet for max stealthiness....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Did you cheat at CYOA books?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I remember surreptitiously reading "Are you there God, it's me, Margaret".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd like to take this opportunity to praise Comic Books. I am old enough that when I was young, Comic Books had a very distinct negative association with them. They're trash, garbage, junk, bad influence, etc. But around age 4 or so I got a Spider-Man comic and was immediately hooked, devouring every comic I could get my hands on. My parents were cool in that they were not anti-comic at all, we were just poor AF so comics were too expensive for the most part. But I got what I could and read them over and over and over.

Reading, for kids, is a GOOD THING. So I would think we should encourage kids to read whatever they want, so long as they are reading. I vividly remember reading words I did not know, and going to the dictionary to look it up. Learning! With Spider-Man!