Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Did anybody else read Walk Two Moons? We read it in middle school and I didn't really "get" it then and when I looked up another book by the author, "Chasing Redbird" which takes place in the same universe, I got it even less. Looking back on the themes/imagery as an adult, I'm still not convinced I know wtf was going on and I don't think I'm interested in rereading to find out.

Both books were full of snake imagery and death by/because of snakes. Both main characters' grandmothers died and they both became weird wife surrogates to their grandfathers (in WTM the main character even mentions "our marriage bed" to her grandfather, while sleeping next to him, to comfort him, in CR she shares a weird call and response lyric thing with her gpa that her gma used to).

Both involve sad family secrets that are dealt with in the unhealthiest way possible. Also I seen to remember finding the names of the characters fuckin stupid even as a kid (tho the only one I remember is, one woman literally has the last name cadaver and the twist is main character's dad is dating cadaver because his wife is secretly dead)

Wtf were those books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
The one thing about where the red fern grows that would make me rethink recommending it to a kid is, why the hell was there a graphic child death in the middle of the book? Like usually if a child dies violently in a children's book, that's what the book is about. Like the rest of the book is about dealing with the child's death. But some kid axes himself in the woods and the takeaway is, at least a sad old raccoon got to live i guess. Anyway moving on!

Like what the hell. Also the book is so much more jesusy than I remembered. the end was basically, maybe God wanted your dogs to die because that way the family could stay together. Great job, God

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

skasion posted:

Gordon Korman’s “I Want To Go Home”. Incredibly bored kid repeatedly attempts to escape summer camp.

holy fuckin poo poo I'd completely forgotten this one. I remember the narrator being like Watson to this guy's Holmes, if Holmes used his brain to torment camp counselors instead of solve crime.

Did anybody else read Beloved Benjamin is Waiting? I remember it freaked me out so badly as a kid, an (abandoned? orphaned? simply neglected?) kid talks to aliens through a gravestone somehow.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Not much, what's a dogfor with you